Upgrading from Stand Alone Version 4.6.2.626 to Family subscription

Hello:

I have been with 1password since before the subscriptions started and sync via dropbox for my back up to all my devices. I want to upgrade to the family subscription and have the following questions.

1) I do not have a key as it was purchased through the app store as a stand alone. Do I get a key with the upgrade?
2) I have allot of passwords in my 1password and am wondering how I migrate them over to the new family plan.
3) Do I have to backup to a service like dropbox or dose the family plan included syncing via 1password servers? I would like to eliminate the dropbox sync. I have Icloud and OneDrive that I would like to use instead if need alternate service
4) Does the family plan allow me to have multiple individual vaults. ie one for myself, my wife, shared with my wife and family shared vaults.
5) I have multiple vaults currently and have a different sign in for each. Is this how the family plan works?

I need all these answers before I will consider upgrading. Thank you kindly for your assistance

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bman1234,

Thank you for using 1Password and your interest in 1Password Families! Please see the answers to your questions below:

1) I do not have a key as it was purchased through the app store as a stand alone. Do I get a key with the upgrade?

1Password accounts are subscription-based and we do not have license keys there. All you need to do is to download 1Password apps and sign in to your account there, it is that simple. To learn more about 1Password subscription billing, please check this article in our support knowledge base.

2) I have allot of passwords in my 1password and am wondering how I migrate them over to the new family plan.

We have a comprehensive migration guide on how you can move your existing data to your new 1Password account. Here it is:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Please take a look and let us know if you have any questions about the steps outlined there.

3) Do I have to backup to a service like dropbox or dose the family plan included syncing via 1password servers? I would like to eliminate the dropbox sync. I have Icloud and OneDrive that I would like to use instead if need alternate service.

When you have 1Password account, your encrypted vaults are stored on our servers, so you do not need any third-party services to store or sync your data. Moreover, your data is always cached locally in 1Password apps on your devices, so you can view and edit it without an Internet connection. Any changes you make will become available on your other devices when you next go online.

4) Does the family plan allow me to have multiple individual vaults. ie one for myself, my wife, shared with my wife and family shared vaults.

If you subscribe to a family account on 1Password.com, you will have the main account as Family Organizer but each of the family members you invite onto the plan will get their own 1Password account. The only thing that all of the members will see in common with each other is the Shared vault. They put something in Shared, everyone sees it. However, each have their own credentials, their own private Personal vault that you cannot view and so on. In addition to that, you can also create and share additional vaults:

Create and share vaults

I hope this information will be helpful for you, when you get started with your family account. I would also recommend you to check this guide to 1Password Families on our website.

5) I have multiple vaults currently and have a different sign in for each. Is this how the family plan works?

All of your vaults that you create within a family account will be accessible if you sign in to your account. Moreover, all these vaults will be accessible when you unlock 1Password app with your Master Password. 1Password 7 has its own database, unlike 1Password 4, where you had to unlock each vault separately.

--

Let me know if you have any further questions, we are always ready to help you with all things 1Password. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Bman1234
    Bman1234
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply! I will give this a go with the upgrade.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Bman1234: You are very welcome!

If you bump into any difficulties, we are always ready to help, just let us know. Thanks! :)

++
    Greg

• Bman1234
    Bman1234
    Community Member

Hello Greg:

I have downloaded and have downloaded my vault. I am very confused about making my vault private if my family have the same sign in as me. I also do not know how to make a private vault for my wife that the rest of us cannot see. Really appreciate some help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bman1234: Your family membership should have their own 1Password accounts under the family membership, with their own Private vault and a Master Password they choose themselves. They just need to setup their accounts using the invitation you send:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

• Bman1234
    Bman1234
    Community Member

Thank you I figured it out!
    Only thing that I have an issue with is the Microsoft edge extension continually stops working.
    Also, is there a proper extension for Microsoft Internet Explorer as my 1Password 4 still works but not the version 7?

• We no longer support Internet Explorer, @Bman1234, and while I don't know that they've made any specific plans to end support for it entirely, I do feel like we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop before Microsoft stops supporting it as well. They are already fairly reluctant to recommend using it as your default browser and, while it still gets security updates and bug fixes today, I don't know that it's getting much more than that. To me, the writing is on the wall that Microsoft Edge is going to supplant it. It's simply a question of when.

That brings us nicely over to talking about Microsoft Edge, because Microsoft is currently working on a Chromium version of Microsoft Edge. It's in beta and slated for release in January. I imagine they'd have said something if that date had any implications for IE as it is fast approaching, but I'm still very interested if any news about IE's future will accompany that release. It seems to a prime time to make those decisions as folks who need to prepare for that transition will finally have access to the browser they'll be expected to move to. It'll also be an exciting time for us as it will mark the end of some long-term struggles we've had supporting Microsoft Edge. The current version isn't designed to work with standard desktop apps like 1Password and while our implementation has technically been successful in working around that limitation, it's fragile and certainly not as reliable as we'd like. It's been trending in the right direction over time and with more time we might well have reached a point where we were happy with it, but given the current version is slated for an early retirement, we made the decision to utilize the resources we might have put towards improving the filling experience in the current Microsoft Edge towards other projects and allow this one to sort itself out come January.

For now, you have two options. First, when the extension stops working, it can generally be brought by to life by closing Microsoft Edge, waiting a few seconds, and opening it again. Alternatively, you can try the beta of the Chromium version. Our Chrome extension – both the desktop app companion and 1Password X – already work there without a hitch. If you decide to take that path, you'll need to enable extensions from other stores. Click ... in the top right of Microsoft Edge beta and select "Extensions". Toggle on the option to "allow extensions from other stores" in the bottom left. Install our Chrome extension from the Chrome Web Store and you'll be set. :+1:

• Bman1234
    Bman1234
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply and tips!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kate, you're very welcome! Looking forward to the new Edge -- the second to replace Internet Explorer -- getting into everyone's hands next year. :)

This discussion has been closed.