How to save passwords before deleting account (lost secret key)

Hond70
Hond70
Community Member

For years I used 1password with iCloud. A year ago I switched to a subscription through Apple. I have 1password on my iPhone and on my Mac (for years). I never switched to a vault on the servers of Agebits, so all my passwords are in iCloud. Yesterday I deleted Mojave and clean installed Catalina. After reinstalling the 1password app and syncing my data back from iCloud I saw that I could use my passwords, but that all cards were read only. I clicked on "Read Only" and on "Sign in". Yes, 1 account was found! I clicked on "Add". Then I was presented a screen where they ask me for my master key. Turns out that that master key is not the same as the master key to unlock the password app. Really? Ok, then I tried to sign in manually. They want to know my secret key. What secret key? So I searched my backups, my Mac, my email, and finally I found a mail with a link to my Emergency Kit (where I could find my secret key). I clicked on the link and I had to log in... with my secret key!!! I checked the app on my iPhone for the key, but I there was no account added. Very strange that I can use the app and paying for a subscription through my Apple account, and not having to sign in to my 1password account...
Why, Agilebits, did you make life so difficult after forcing people to use a separate 1password account? And to advice to print the secret key on paper... so 1990.

After reading a lot of similar stories on this forum and elsewhere, I now understand that I have only one option left: deleting my account and start from scratch. I also read that this action will delete all content (including my passwords, collected over more than 6 years). That's a thanks for being a loyal customer ;-)

My question is: is there a way to save all my passwords, delete my account, start from scratch and import or sync my saved password again?
And secondly: how do I start from scratch? Do I need a new Apple-subscription? Do I need a new account on 1password.com? Do I need to use a different email address?

Thanks for any help!

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.1 Catalina
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hond70
    Hond70
    Community Member

Oh, and do I lose money with stopping my current subscription and starting another?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hond70!

I never switched to a vault on the servers of Agebits, so all my passwords are in iCloud. Yesterday I deleted Mojave and clean installed Catalina.

I also read that this action will delete all content (including my passwords, collected over more than 6 years). That's a thanks for being a loyal customer ;-)

If all your data is in iCloud, deleting your 1Password account won't delete anything, since it's empty ;)

Can you confirm that you are able to access all your existing data in the 1Password app?

Oh, and do I lose money with stopping my current subscription and starting another?

It won't be necessary to cancel one subscription and start another, you can just move the subscription from your existing account to the new one.

• Hond70
    Hond70
    Community Member

I can confirm that I'm able to access my data in the 1Password app, both in my iPhone and in my Mac.
    Yesterday I copied a backup file of my data to a stick (just to be sure) and I made a new account through 1password.eu (with a trail subscription). This time I saved both my master key and my secret key. Then I was asked if I would like to link this account to my 1password app. I said yes. I didn't sync/migrate my data to my personal vault, since I want to use iCloud. Now the read only lock was lifted! And I saw that the new account was linked to the app. Finally! The strange thing is that I can't find my old (still running) subscription anywhere in the app. So I have some questions left:
    1. I have two subscriptions now: the initial Apple subscription and the trail subscription through 1Password.eu. When I cancel my Apple subscription, will my app get locked again? Or will it continue with my new subscription?
    2. Where is my initial subscription in the app?
    3. Is it true that I was lucky to have my data in iCloud and not in a personal vault (because the personal vault will be deleted when you reset your account?
    4. Why is the information that you give above (and the information what I hope you will give me) not in this page: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/
    5. Why do you use the term "master key" for both the app and the account, while in fact they are two separate keys? That's super confusing and not safe and user friendly at all.
    6. You say I can move the initial subscription to the new account. How do I do that? And is that still necessary?

Thanks for your kind help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hond70:

1. I have two subscriptions now: the initial Apple subscription and the trail subscription through 1Password.eu. When I cancel my Apple subscription, will my app get locked again? Or will it continue with my new subscription?

Do you have a single 1Password account or two?

1. Where is my initial subscription in the app?

You can see its status under 1Password Settings > 1Password Accounts, and selecting your account from the list.

1. Is it true that I was lucky to have my data in iCloud and not in a personal vault (because the personal vault will be deleted when you reset your account?

It's not a matter of where your data is stored, but rather that you forgot the Master Password for your 1Password account. If you had forgotten the Master Password for your iCloud vault, you would have been in the same situation since we do not store your password anywhere, and you are the only one who knows it for your security.

1. Why is the information that you give above (and the information what I hope you will give me) not in this page: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

Because that article explains how to reset the 1Password app. Your account is separate.

1. Why do you use the term "master key" for both the app and the account, while in fact they are two separate keys? That's super confusing and not safe and user friendly at all.

We recommend using the same Master Password for both the app and your 1Password account, but you are free to choose a different one for your account (which is what you have done in this case).

1. You say I can move the initial subscription to the new account. How do I do that? And is that still necessary?

Please reach out to us via email at support+forum@agilebits.com so we can continue the conversation in private without sharing billing information on a public forum.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• Hond70
    Hond70
    Community Member

[#FMY-23129-146]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @Hond70! I confirm that I have managed to locate your email in our systems. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: FMY-23129-146

This discussion has been closed.