To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

8 Questions to help me get functional with 1Password Mac Version 7

Options
MaryJLRowe
MaryJLRowe
Community Member

Originally purchased 1 Password for $49.99 back in 2016 or late 2015.
1. Are a Membership and Subscription the SAME thing? If not, please clarify. I think I just Registered - so I could get on this site. Do I have an Account?
2. Does the new Mac Version 7 require a monthly Payment? I am FROZEN and some places say $2.99 a month, some $3.99and on my iphone it says $8.99 upfront for first 6 months.
3. May I keep my OLD Vault on DropBox - until I'm secure enough to trash it?
4. Where is the NEW Version 7 Vault stored?
5. Where can I see WHICH Vault Versions 6 and 7 are using? For instance in 7, under preferences Vaults, I see My Name under it, indented is Personal. BOTH are selected. Maybe it was always like that. Or is ONE of them the NEW Version 7 Vault (Version 7 forced me to create a New Duplicate Vault right?
6. What does this mean? "Items from the Selected vaults will be shown in ALL Vaults?"
7. Do I need to replace the Ap on my iPhone? If so, should I get it from the Apple App Store or NOT.
8. I have a Master Password that I was directed to Create. What does that mean, what is it for? It seems I cannot get into Version 7 without using the MASTER Password. Correct?

Thank YOU

1Password Version: On iMac 7.4, 6.8.8, MacBook 6.8.8, iPhone 7.4.4
Extension Version: Could I deal with this question later?
OS Version: Mac 10.14.6, iPhone 13.1.3, MacBook 10.15.1
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MaryJLRowe

I'd be happy to help with those questions.

1. Are a Membership and Subscription the SAME thing? If not, please clarify. I think I just Registered - so I could get on this site. Do I have an Account?

Membership is the service. A subscription is how you pay for the service. An account is the mechanism through which a person accesses the service. You can't have any one of the three without the other two.

1. Does the new Mac Version 7 require a monthly Payment? I am FROZEN and some places say $2.99 a month, some $3.99and on my iphone it says $8.99 upfront for first 6 months.

Membership includes the latest version of 1Password on all of your devices so long as your subscription is in good standing. As long as you are signed into the same account on all of your devices you should be able to subscribe from whichever device you'd like, and that'll apply to all of your devices. Sometimes there are promotions available through one merchant (e.g. the iTunes App Store) that isn't available elsewhere.

1. May I keep my OLD Vault on DropBox - until I'm secure enough to trash it?

When you add a 1Password membership account to the app it should migrate your Dropbox vault to your account. Once that happens the Dropbox vault should be deleted. If you log in at https://my.1password.com/ and open your vault do you see all of your data? If so, please delete the Dropbox vault. Keeping it, and also having a membership, may cause confusion/problems down the line.

1. Where is the NEW Version 7 Vault stored?

1Password 7 for Mac stores its data in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

1. Where can I see WHICH Vault Versions 6 and 7 are using? For instance in 7, under preferences Vaults, I see My Name under it, indented is Personal. BOTH are selected.

This is showing that your have an account (your name) with one vault in it (Personal). There is only one vault, unless you also see something else.

Maybe it was always like that. Or is ONE of them the NEW Version 7 Vault (Version 7 forced me to create a New Duplicate Vault right?

I wouldn't see any reason to suspect you have a duplicate vault based on the information you've told me, except perhaps if you still have the Dropbox-based vault added to 1Password, but you didn't mention that being the case.

1. What does this mean? "Items from the Selected vaults will be shown in ALL Vaults?"

"All Vaults" is the default view in 1Password. It shows you the contents of all of your vaults, by default. Which vaults appear in All Vaults is customizable, though, as some folks want to be able to view just a limited subset of their items by default.

1. Do I need to replace the Ap on my iPhone? If so, should I get it from the Apple App Store or NOT.

This is the app you should have on your iPhone:

1Password for iOS on the App Store

1. I have a Master Password that I was directed to Create. What does that mean, what is it for? It seems I cannot get into Version 7 without using the MASTER Password. Correct?

The Master Password is used to encrypt your data. Your data cannot be read without it. If you lose the Master Password, you will have lost your data. We recommend picking something strong and unique but memorable.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• MaryJLRowe
    MaryJLRowe
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

This was VERY helpful Ben! Thank YOU.
    1. One thing that truly surprised me is that the 1Password Data is stored on my iMac. How does it Sync from there to my laptop and iPhone. Or does all that point to an Agilebites Library in possession of Agilebites - from each of my devices? That's gotta be it - right?
    2. Bottom Line Question > so with this new wonderful 1 Password7, I need to start paying a Subscription to access my data again and get UNFROZEN. Correct?

• Ben
    Options

@MaryJLRowe

You're very welcome.

1. One thing that truly surprised me is that the 1Password Data is stored on my iMac. How does it Sync from there to my laptop and iPhone. Or does all that point to an Agilebites Library in possession of Agilebites - from each of my devices? That's gotta be it - right?

That it exactly it. Once the data is encrypted it is saved to your device. Once there it is synced to 1Password.com through an encrypted tunnel.

1. Bottom Line Question > so with this new wonderful 1 Password7, I need to start paying a Subscription to access my data again and get UNFROZEN. Correct?

Correct; to unfreeze your membership you'd need a subscription.

Ben

• MaryJLRowe
    MaryJLRowe
    Community Member
    Options

OK - I just saved a PDF file (145 pages) through the Print Command - of my 1Password 6.8.8 data - in case I've made some changes since Oct 16 (this is Nov 20) and need to refer to it if something feels like it is missing. Now I can delete it.

LAST Question - maybe - so the reason I was required to make a NEW password for the 1Password 7 Vault is because I really cannot OPEN 1 Password 7 with the 1Password 6 Password. Do you recommend keeping it entirely different and even AFTER deleting 1Password 6 - not changing back to old 1Password 6 password?

• MaryJLRowe
    MaryJLRowe
    Community Member
    Options

I already migrated a month ago!

• Ben
    Options

The Master Password has to be at least 10 characters long. You can use anything you like that meets that requirement, but I'd suggest taking a read through this guide:

How to choose a good Master Password | 1Password

Ben

• MaryJLRowe
    MaryJLRowe
    Community Member
    Options

A new iPhone arrived yesterday (11 Pro) and I migrated ALL data from my OLD iPhone. I don't think I ever upgraded the 1Password App on old phone AND I'd already deleted old Vault from DropBox . Anyway - I've managed to access data on my phone (using the square Scan Code on Computer Screen) BUT two things are odd.
    1. I have to use the OLD Master Password to get in the App (it won't take NEW Password)
    2. AND once in - every entry has a duplicate.
    Please help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MaryJLRowe:

How many vaults do you currently see inside your 1Password app? Is there perhaps one called Primary?

• MaryJLRowe
    MaryJLRowe
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see the Word "Primary" - attaching a screen shot.

• Ben
    Options

@MaryJLRowe

That screenshot appears to be from a Mac? What about on the iPhone? You should be able to resolve this by uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password for iOS app on the iPhone. That will delete the Primary vault which I suspect is on the phone, leaving you with the same thing you see on the Mac.

Ben

• MaryJLRowe
    MaryJLRowe
    Community Member
    Options

BEAUTIFUL - I'm good now on the new iPhone - VERY GOOD! Thanks so much ag_ana and Ben

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. Happy to help. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.