Can a fingerprint reader in Windows be enabled to unlock 1Password for Windows?

2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lalomartins: Haha I wish it were that simple! I'm hopeful we'll be able to have a new UWP app in the future, which would be useful in this regard. But currently what we have in the Windows Store is literally only the Edge extension, since that's how they need to be distributed in order to integrate with Microsoft's browser. I like you're optimism though! Maybe once we've got 1Password 7 shipped and have more spare cycles to look further into the future we'll be able to find a creative solution. Cheers! :)

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

+1 for Windows Hello Support and Fingerprint readers. Entering the password all the time is so cumbersome and feels very wrong when you have also a macbook with fingerprint reader.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@binaranomaly - I definitely get how uneven it feels when you consider that, but sometimes there's also a significant inequality - or at least unevenness - between what each platform provides us in the way of useful hooks/APIs. And we're also sometimes at different points in the development cycle between platforms. However, having said that, you may be interested in this thread from the beta forum. Give it a whirl and let us know what you think. :)

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars

It's already awesome 👍🏻, looking forward to the release!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@binaranomaly - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. 😊

• jessehouwing
    jessehouwing
    Community Member

The Fingerprint scanner for Windows Hello can function without a properly armed TPM chip. And a lot of people don't have one of those or haven't configured it.

While I understand it may end up a support nightmare, requiring TPM would enable secure storage of the account secret. Or better yet, secure storage of a derived key for that specific machine. Many enterprise systems running Windows 10 Pro have Bitlocker enabled and by default that requires an activated TPM. Same applies to AAD 2FA requirements. For modern laptops and the 1Password business this would make a lot of sense. I hope that if one is using a "free for personal" account alongside the 1password for business it'd be able to use the same options ;).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The Fingerprint scanner for Windows Hello can function without a properly armed TPM chip. And a lot of people don't have one of those or haven't configured it.

@jessehouwing: Correct.

While I understand it may end up a support nightmare, requiring TPM would enable secure storage of the account secret. Or better yet, secure storage of a derived key for that specific machine. Many enterprise systems running Windows 10 Pro have Bitlocker enabled and by default that requires an activated TPM. Same applies to AAD 2FA requirements. For modern laptops and the 1Password business this would make a lot of sense. I hope that if one is using a "free for personal" account alongside the 1password for business it'd be able to use the same options ;).

I agree that those are interesting possibilities, but, as you illustrated, there's a lot of fragmentation there, and Windows Hello is a very different beast. It isn't as flexible as all of that, but it's great — for us and for users — since it allows us to not have to worry so much about the various hardware involved. Perhaps other options will become viable in the future though. Cheers! :)

• keltraine
    keltraine
    Community Member

Hi just curious if there was an update on this or the UWP version of this for Windows...? Just got 1Password going and would love to be able to use a fingerprint reader to sign on to Windows with it if at all possible! Cheers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@keltraine: 1Password for Windows version 7 supports Windows Hello, and that works with any compatible biometrics -- I use it with facial recognition and fingerprint reader on my Surface all the time.

Anyway, I'll close this discussion since it's incredibly old, but feel free to open a new one if you have questions about something else. :)

This discussion has been closed.