1Password mini 2FA copy not consistent

berto
berto
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

Hello!

I'm experiencing inconsistency when copying a 2FA code in 1Password mini on the mac. The workflow is as follows:

• my machine wakes up from sleep
  • my VPN client prompts me for a 2FA code
  • i use the ctrl+cmd+option+\ shortcut key to launch 1Password mini
  • i type the name of the password entry containing the 2FA
  • i hit the arrow keys to focus on the 2FA field
  • i hit enter to copy the 2FA code

At this point I go back to the VPN client prompt and hit cmd+v to paste in the code. This works most of the time; unfortunately, it's hit and miss and doesn't work all of the time. For the most part, following the same sequence as above a second time will copy the code, but I have been in a situation where the code does not copy multiple times.

Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.

Thank you!
-Roberto

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10.15
Sync Type: 1Password Family account

Comments

• Hi @berto

I'm sorry to hear this isn't working as expected for you. At this step:

i hit enter to copy the 2FA code

Are you getting a notification from 1Password that the code was successfully copied? Does using ⌘C instead of enter/return work more reliably?

Ben

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @Ben !

I've been trying out your ⌘C suggestion today and have more info.

While hitting enter would make the prompt go away and sometimes not work:

• when ⌘C works, the 1Password mini closes and the 2FA value is copied
    • when ⌘C does NOT work, 1Password mini remains open no matter how many times i hit ⌘C

The second bullet is peculiar. Something seems to not wire correctly every now and again. I tried hitting escape and re-launching 1Password mini using ctrl+cmd+option+\ and then ⌘C works.

Thank you!

• berto
    berto
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

I just ran into ⌘C did not work and the mini dialog remained open. Instead of closing it out and retrying I hit enter and it worked! ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• @berto

I wonder if this is related to an issue we're investigating with browsers other than Safari... Does this happen in Safari?

Please let me know.

Ben

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

I can check, but to be clear, the entire workflow I have described in this ticket has no browser interaction at all. This flow is using the mini dialog, presumably controlled by the icon in the menubar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@berto: I understand that, but I think that Ben was trying to determine the same thing I'm curious about reading this now:

Does this happen in Safari?

(when trying to copy). Please let me know.

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

@brenty @Ben specifically Safari or any browser? I use Firefox almost exclusively these days.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@berto: Anything you can determine may be helpful, since we're not able to reproduce the issue you're having so far. Safari should be available too though, even if you usually use Firefox. :)

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

In case it's another hint towards reproducing the issue; I have this 2FA token in its own password entry that doesn't contain a username or password; it's just the 2FA token.

Perhaps the bug has something to do with missing username and password fields, and the order in which copying and pasting fields (e.g. copy the username first and upon returning to 1P copy the 2FA)?

Thank you,
    -Roberto.

• Thanks for letting us know @berto. We'll continue to keep an eye out for this.

Ben

• berto
    berto
    Community Member

I may have figured out the way to more repeatedly reproduce, but it's not entirely consistent. This is happening to me on one specific password entry. As in my screenshot, when I search for the term test 2fa there is only one entry that matches that name. Since there aren't multiple matches I don't have to tab or hit the down arrow to select the entry I'm looking for. Instead, the entry I'm targeting is already the one and only option. At this point, I hit the right arrow to then hit enter to select the only thing in there: the OTP.

It seems that's where the bug is: when the targeted item is selected and you right arrow over and hit enter.

When I have multiple results and have to tab or down arrow to select an entry, followed then by a right arrow and enter, things work as expected.

I'm just guessing, but there seems to be an inconsistency between the highlighting in the UI and the actual data structure that's being copied from behind the scenes.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think you may be right. Thanks for the extra details. We'll see if we can figure out what's going on here.

This discussion has been closed.