My Review So Far

I've been using 1password for about a week now on 2 Windows computers and 1 Android phone. I would also use it on Linux were it an option .

Before I begin I should mention that several things about the forums need work. For example, they are hard to find, there are two different forums and there isn't really a "general" category. Which is where I would have put this post.

The first thing I noticed that I didn't like was the bizarre browser extension setup. A better way would be to just make the extension available like any other extension, using whatever tools come with the browser. For example, I should have just been able to install it through the Chrome Web Store. It took me quite a while to figure this out. Like I said, weird and certainly not optimal.

The program seems to be a bit Mac-centric. This isn't unforgivable but I get the feeling that Windows/Android users may start to feel like they are getting hand-me-downs (red-headed, step-children). Not to mention the lack of Linux support. It has become obligatory with any new piece of tech or software for me to have to state that Linux support today should not be optional.

The question I asked myself is why should I care about a password management tool like 1password? Chrome syncs all of my passwords anyway? In regards to web site authentications, I'm still not sure that I do, but there are a lot of other applications for password management application like 1password that go beyond web authentication.

Security:

I'd like to see more security options. Two factor options: existing PKI, key files or even in combination with images (Steganography) for both the 1password database as well as any exported files.

I'd also like to be able to import my key files (like for SSH), key rings, other container or file that is used for authentication, in any way. It should also be possible to link an account to a login entry. In fact, this is something that goes beyond security. I'd like to be able to create a relationship from/to one or more of the other entries. For example, it should be possible to link logins to any of the other entries. For example, the password for the forum that I visit for software I have licensed. Being able to visualize these relationships would be a plus.

Web Site Passwords:

This works okay with only a few issues, however, I do have trouble with sites on a local subnet. It seems these are all ignored and I can't figure out how to make them be recognized.

Import/Export

This to me is a huge fail. I tried importing from several sources and without a lot of data massaging it just wasn't working very well. Exporting is also very limited. I'd like to see many more options for import and export. Maybe this should be pluggable so others can easily add support for their formats.

Android

I like the app but I seems to lack polish. You must remember to press return to validate your password since there is no login button. Also, dropbox is integrated which is nice but it should just use the existing dropbox if it is available, seems inefficient. Instead, just don't allow selecting dropbox support in preferences if dropbox app isn't installed. I'd like that better but others may (surely will) disagree.

Price

It is a decent program despite my criticisms (they really are meant to be constructive) but in no way is ever worth $49.99 that price is simply absurd. The most you'd ever get from me, and even this is a real stretch, is around $20, a more reasonable price would be $9.99. Then charge another $1.99 for the smartphone app since some people wouldn't need a smartphone app.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Welcome to the forum, Mark, and thanks for letting us read your thoughts and suggestions.

Most of them have been made before, and some of them may be included (in one form or another) in some future version of the software.

As for setting up extensions and other things that threw you at first, we always recommend that you take a few minutes to read the Introduction, Getting Started, and Tutorials sections of the user's guide. They're short, and they'll give you the information you need to get up to speed quickly. As you use 1Password for Windows, we believe you'll find the FAQ section to be a useful resource, too.
This discussion has been closed.