Can not search secure notes from Chrome extension

Options
nashmrkt
nashmrkt
Community Member

I am using Chrome extension. I like to search from the extension, a secure note where I have saved my Car's VIN number. It looks like from extension I can not search secure notes and notes in saved logins (like the routing number of my bank that I have added to my bank login info. ). Is this a lack of feature or as usual I am missing something obvious? :)
Regular search in extension works fine.

thanks for your help in advance.

1Password Version: 7.4.1 (70401002)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G1012)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can not search secure notes from Chrome extension

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nashmrkt!

I have just tested this here and my search returned the contents of secure notes as well. Is it possible that you have your vault settings configured so that you are only searching one vault, but the notes are actually in a different one?

• nashmrkt
    nashmrkt
    Community Member
    Options

I have only one vault.
    So to be clear. I have a secure note named "Car Info". In the body of this note, I have "VIN: XYZ".
    I open Chrome, I click on 1pw extension in chrome. unlock my vault. i search the string VIN. I get zero results.
    If I do the same search in 1Password app and select to search in Major fields, I also do not get results.
    If I do the same search in 1Password app and select to search in ALL fields, I get the results.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nashmrkt:

If I do the same search in 1Password app and select to search in ALL fields, I get the results.

What happens if you try searching for "VIN" again in the browser extension after doing this? I am asking since the 1Password app needs to be configured to search in all fields first, so if you try searching for something inside the browser extension before configuring 1Password to do that, it's normal that it won't return any results, as per your example.

• nashmrkt
    nashmrkt
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ann
    My 1PW app has been set to search in all fields since almost start of my subscription as I do add a lot of notes.
    Have you tried this scenario as I described? It is just a few easy steps. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nashmrkt:

Yes, I tried your scenario, and I am able to search within the notes fields, as mentioned in my first reply to you above. I am also using Chrome, and the 1Password browser extension version 4.7.5.90. The only difference I can see between my setup and yours is the OS (I am on Catalina currently), but I don't think that this would have any role in this.

• nashmrkt
    nashmrkt
    Community Member
    Options

This is very strange. I’ll create a new vault and do a test and see. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! :+1: Please let us know what you find out and we will take it from there.

• nashmrkt
    nashmrkt
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, this is becoming a bit strange.
    Let's call my original and only vault the "PRIVATE" (because it is exactly called that). I created a new vault "TESTVAULT".

Added "car info 2" secure note to TESTVAULT and I am able to search the notes section of this secure not using chrome extension.
    I moved all my items from PRIVATE to TESTVAULT. searching for VIN still does not find "car info" and only find "car info 2".
    To see what is wrong with PRIVATE, I added a new secure note to PRIVATE and it is totally searchable.
    So something is going on with old entries that I had in PRIVATE and it does not even matter if they are moved to another vault. The are not searchable unless I am only searching in Major fields.

What can I do now? Recreating my 575 entries from scratch is just not possible.
    :(

PS: I can delete the TESTVAULT but PRIVATE does not show delete option at all, ( I have tried everything I can). Maybe something related to my issue, maybe not but still annoying.

• Hey @nashmrkt :smile: So we're not duplicating the work in two places, I'm going to close this discussion here and we can continue the conversation in the email you sent in.

This discussion has been closed.