1PWD iOS on iPad gets stuck after login

kai1pwd
kai1pwd
Community Member
edited November 2019 in iOS

Hello 1PWD Team,

I just noticed that after having typed in my 1PWD master password, your iOS app does not open anymore on my iPad. It simply get stuck at the position as shown on the screenshot below:

Version Information:

• iPad Pro, iOS 12.4.1
  • 1Password iOS app's concrete version number is not accessible anymore, given that the app doesn't open (and there is no version information in the regular iOS settings about 1pwd). But, there is no iOS update pending in the app store, so it should be the latest possible one atm (and I remember having updated it not long time ago: according to App Store history, I've updated it on Nov 14th, and the description text tells Version 7.4.4).

I've rebootet the iPad already, with the same observations though.

Noticing also some graphical glitches, see the "Password" grey text in the screenshot below:

A not opening 1PWD is a desaster as you can imagine, and a short search on Twitter shows that other people have reported this issue in the past days already, though I haven't yet noticed a report in this forum.

Hope you can fix it soon. Thx.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kai1pwd!

I see that you are a couple of updates behind in iOS. Can you please try upgrading your device to at least iOS 12.4.3, if you cannot upgrade to iOS 13 directly?

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Hi @ag_ana,
    thanks for your response!
    On that device only iPadOS 13.2.3 is offered at the moment for update, and for certain reasons I can't do now the switch from 12.x to 13.x.
    The same problem though is also experienced by people with 13.2.3:

p.s. iOS 12.4.3 is only available for certain devices. Not for mine though. That clarifies why it is not offered as update on my device. So my iPad runs the last 12.x version possible before the 13.x jump.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kai1pwd:

Thank you for the confirmation. Not updating the device to the latest version of iOS will make this more challenging, but let's try to get to the bottom of this anyway.

The same problem though is also experienced by people with 13.2.3:

"not opening" means something different than "not unlocking" though, so it's possible that your two reports refer to two different things, so I would rather focus on your issue for now.

Not being able to update your iOS device might complicate things, but I would still like you to create a diagnostics report from this iOS device and email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Hi @ag_ana,

after the unlocking step, the 1PWD app is not opening on my iPad, if you like me to further detail it ;)
    (the notion of what users do mean by "not opening" can differ apparently)
    Yes, it would be more accurate if the Tweet would be more elaborative incl. screenshot.

However, I clicked the link above on the iPad, and the preset email address is support+ios@agilebits.com. Shall this be adjusted to support+forum@agilebits.com?

As for the update, it is still iOS12 and not a very old one such as iOS8. In the past at least 1PWD was working across several majors iOS versions, and being just "one single update step behind" was usually never an issue (also generally iOS app updates would not be pushed out to incompatible iOS versions - which is in full control for you as app vendor). Assuming that still a big number of your customers are not on version 13, I hope that your development process still considers at least to run compatibility tests with older iOS versions, certainly with the last major one at least hopefully (else, why would you push app updates to 12.x systems).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

after the unlocking step, the 1PWD app is not opening on my iPad, if you like me to further detail it ;) (the notion of what users do mean by "not opening" can differ apparently)

@kai1pwd: Yes it certainly can. :lol: :+1:

Yes, it would be more accurate if the Tweet would be more elaborative incl. screenshot. However, I clicked the link above on the iPad, and the preset email address is support+ios@agilebits.com. Shall this be adjusted to support+forum@agilebits.com?

Either is fine. Please just let us know the Support ID you receive here so we can find it. :)

As for the update, it is still iOS12 and not a very old one such as iOS8. In the past at least 1PWD was working across several majors iOS versions, and being just "one single update step behind" was usually never an issue (also generally iOS app updates would not be pushed out to incompatible iOS versions - which is in full control for you as app vendor). Assuming that still a big number of your customers are not on version 13, I hope that your development process still considers at least to run compatibility tests with older iOS versions, certainly with the last major one at least hopefully.

Some devices can only update to iOS 12.x. Maybe only those are getting the latest security patches there, rather than those that can get them in iOS 13. Not 100% sure.

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member

@brenty , thanks, I let it with the default email address. That's almost 2 hours ago and haven't received yet (I checked also spam folder) one of these usually automatically created tickets, so that I can post you the ticket ID in here. How long does it usually take? I think last time it was a matter of a few minutes.

By the way, the diagnostics report email form seems to miss something like a "send" button respectively clear UI guidance how to send the email. I've been touching around, till I realized it is top right corner in the blue bar of the form.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kai1pwd:

It normally takes just a few minutes for our confirmation email to reach you. Can I please have you take a look at your spam folder, just in case the email ended up there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kai1pwd: Regardless, got your email here, so we'll take a look and continue the conversation there.

(The "Send" appears to be nearly the same color as the background there. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

ref: JUQ-79741-986

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

@ag_ana,

Can I please have you take a look at your spam folder,

While the email has been located meanwhile (@brenty, thanks for the info), I checked 2 hours after sending the diagnostics report the spam folder, and also just did it right now again. I still can confirm that there no confirmation email has arrived. To prevent future issues with other customers, maybe you want to check your system(s) logs if the email was going out and to understand what was going wrong.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation. Now that your email has been located, we will get back to you over there as soon as possible :+1:

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Hi @brenty and @ag_ana ,

thanks for your email with a set of ideas how to possibly solve the issue. If you don't mind I respond here, as I found a work-around as well as can deliver you a reproducible error description, so that:
    1. AB can possibly set up the same test scenario for further inspection
    2. other users may find it helpful under the conditions of the same setup (and issue observation) can read here about work-around

As for your proposed steps to try out:

• OS update - haven't tried, and currently can't do it for other reasons (starting by Feb 2020 onwards I will be able to make the jump to v13)
    • Rebooting - yes, tried. Same issue.
    • Switching away from 1PW and back again - not 100% sure what you mean by that, but I guess you mean the following sequence:
    1. start 1PW, login in, stuck
    2. switch to any other open app
    3. switch back to 1PW: observation: login window appears again, login, stuck. Same as before.
    • Changing the onscreen keyboard mode by changing from split KB to full KB.

First, I extremely seldom use the onscreen KB in general, and for 1PW I use either an external KB - or - in case it was once disabled by password already - most of the time it unlocks via FaceID, which is often the case while I'm on the go.
    In the rare occasions using the onscreen KB, I'm then also not using the split KB, but instead always the full KB.

However, the keyboard idea triggered for me another set of test ideas and can happily provide you a reproducible instruction set now as well as a work-around:

How to reproduce it

1st situation:

1. iPad Pro 11" with connected (meaning functional, so in the appropriate position) Apple Smart Keyboard Folio
    2. start 1PW app
    3. login
      Result: stuck

2nd situation:

1. iPad Pro 11" without connected physical KB
    2. start 1PW app (before, remove it from the memory so to say)
    3. login (with onscreen KB)
      Result: works!

3rd situation:

1. Do 1st situation again
    2. remove iPad from KB
    3. return to home screen (so 1PW app stays in memory so to say)
    4. put 1PW back to front focus (tap on 1PW app icon)
      Result: no login popped up, opens directly. Apparently had some unlock status still in memory. Works!

4th situation:

1. Do 2nd situation again (before, remove 1PW app from memory)
    2. let it open, and connect iPad to physical KB again
    3. return to home screen (so 1PW app goes into background so to say)
    4. put 1PW back to front focus (tap on 1PW app icon)
    5. login (with physical KB)

Causing condition
    So the cause seems to be something weird (but reproducible) is happening between the condition of having the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio connected to the iPad and starting 1PW (in the current version as outlined in the initial thread post; as I haven't noticed this bug with earlier versions of 1PW, and I'm using the physical KB with 1PW since beginning of this year frequently so far) freshly. Then it gets stuck.

Amendment
    The tests above I did while having FaceID disabled for practical reasons.
    Now, having FaceID re-enabled again, I made an additional observation:

5th situation:

1. Do 2nd situation
    2. let 1PW open and connect iPad to physical KB
    3. kill 1PW app from memory
    4. start 1PW again
    5. login now via FaceID

That refines further the error situation:
    a FaceID login of a freshly started 1PW instance with connected KB - works.
    a KB login of a freshly started 1PW instance with connected KB - get stuck.

Work-around

The test cases above revealed also the work-around for users with at least the same hardware and software version setup I believe (it stays unclear if that is a general hardware KB issue and the current 1PW version, or if it's specifically in conjunction with the original Apple product, and other vendors such as Logitech may not have that issue):

• simply "undock" the physical KB
    • login via the onscreen KB
    • done.
    • Subsequent login prompts with connected physical KB seem to work for me since then (until I kill the 1PW app from memory)

Thanks you guys for the very quick response time! That is the familiar, and loved customer interaction of AB with its customers!! :)

Thanks also for re-enabling the visibility of this bug report in your forum, as it could be of help for other users too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kai1pwd: Thanks so much for sharing that here! I was unable to find other cases where a physical keyboard was involved, so that may help others with a similar setup if they experience this issue. I also haven't seen cases like this with recent iOS releases, so it will likely go away for you too once you're able to update. I'm glad that those workarounds help in the mean time. Cheers! :)

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member

@brenty, one more amendment:
    I had a chance to test it now also with the Apple Wireless Keyboard, which is not a "docked" solution such as the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio mentioned above: same issues observed. That may indicate that generally Bluetooth/external keyboard input, at least in the given version combination of iOS and 1PW as stated in the initial post, seem to have the issue.
    Unless I forget it, will inform you about my experience once I will have upgraded to the latest iOS/iPadOS February next year.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kai1pwd: Ah, good call. Thanks for the update. There have been similar issues over the years with keyboards on iPads (one in particular escapes my mind at the moment), so it doesn't come as shock to me, just a bit surprising since I thought all of that was resolved already. I suspect that maybe we're not getting more reports like this because most iPad users have upgraded to iPadOS (finally!) 13 to take advantage of all the new stuff there that helps make it even more powerful. Hopefully things will work better for you once you upgrade, and while I will be curious either way I will understand completely if you forget as a result -- we tend to notice stuff more that isn't working. :)

This discussion has been closed.