Windows PC touch ID login

When will touch ID be available on windows pc's?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:touch id on windows pc

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't expect it ever will, as Touch ID is an Apple technology built into their hardware (and less so nowadays, with the introduction of Face ID). However, Windows Hello is available on compatible PCs, and that supports similar technologies:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• olllllo2013
    olllllo2013
    Community Member

Do you have plans for Hello to open 1Password X in chrome?

• We hope so, @olllllo2013, but it's likely a good ways off. In order to allow 1Password X to unlock with Windows Hello, it needs to integrate with the 1Password desktop app and that's a fair amount of development work. It's definitely something we'd like to see happen, but we're not at a point where we can even guess when that might be.

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

@bundtkate wouldn't be supporting Windows Hello via web standard Web Authentication be faster than integrating with the desktop app?

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2019/03/19/passwordless-web-authentication-support-via-windows-hello/

It's built as a standard and wouldn't come with any baggage you would support with the Windows app. As I understand there's a lot of baggage of code since you have to support Windows 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrisss: Possibly, but then we'd not get any of the many other benefits of integration with the desktop app. I mean, you've got to be running Windows anyway in order to use Windows Hello, right? So 1Password for Windows is available, has Windows Hello support already, and also a ton of other functionality that is either something we haven't had the time to build yet or is not possible at all in a self-contained browser extension. :)

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

@brenty I think you misunderstood, WebAuthn is a standard by W3C, which means if you use it, you'll get automatic support to whatever platform you support. So macOS gets touch id, Windows gets Windows Hello on the same API which is WebAuthN.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrisss: I am aware of WebAuthn. :) What I am saying is that adopting WebAuthn in 1Password X does not get us any of the features from the 1Password desktop app in 1Password, just WebAuthn.

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

@brenty you get standalone functionality for 2FA, both touch ID and Windows Hello (So you don't need the desktop counterpart just to get the Windows Hello functionality and touch ID for that matter). Plus your using standards that open the possibility of any future biometrics use for 1password without writing additional code, I think those are substantial reasons to support it don't you agree?

I am replying to @bundkate post where she said it'll take a substantial amount of development work to support Windows Hello in 1password X in windows. Whereas WebAuthN you can support multiple platforms just by using a single API.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Either way, it takes a lot of work in the form of development, testing, and support; so our focus is desktop app integration since that will allow for the specific feature you're asking and many more that our customers have been requesting -- as mentioned previously. ;)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

+1 from me. If there is one thing that 1Password for Windows needs, it's this. It would make my life so much easier, just tap the fingerprint sensor and you're in. I'm so tired of typing my long password like 20-30 times a day. Please make this a priority, pretty please.

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

@brenty with integration with desktop, you have to test two systems, one is the desktop app, and the other is the 1password X browser extension. The one I'm suggesting is on its own system, so clearly that's easier to test/develop since you only have to test for one system, as opposed to testing two systems with the integration? Furthermore, you only need to adhere to the standard API, biometrics or other future 2fa would be whatever the Operating System use and it's going to be the OS's responsibility (basically outside of 1password). Clearly the faster approach is just supporting WebAuthN? People have been waiting for more than 2 years now? :dizzy:

To add, this isn't a zero-sum game. Adding webAuthN would only increase 1password X usage, and is completely separate on what you plan on having the integration with the desktop App. I hope you fix your Windows App first (before thinking of having integration). Right now, it makes me sad using it, it looks like it was designed for Vista days. It's really awful to use. Slow and Ugly. Also, I hope you don't treat me as a rando hater here, I'm a fan of Agilebits (Long time user here, since version 2).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smnstrk: As mentioned above, 1Password for Windows has that feature. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrisss: I don't have a magic hat to pull what you want out of, nor do I have anything to add over what we've already discussed at this time, but I do appreciate your kind words and passion. In time, you will get what you want and more, but we both have to be patient for now. :)

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

@brenty I hope you mean that when you suggest 1Password for Windows allows Windows Hello to unlock a PC, it means that Hello can be used after you have put in a Master password when 1Password first starts (as in when you restart your PC or you logoff and logon again)?

As I indicated in a previous post, Windows Hello does not require the existence of a TPM chip and without me having to water down the default security policies. It will be a sad state of affairs if Windows Hello has replaced the master password on first use of 1Password.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@brenty my bad, I was talking about 1PassX (yeah I know, wrong place, but it was kind of convenient to add my +1).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smnstrk: No worries. Just want to make sure we're on the same page since this is a Windows discussion in the Windows category of the forum. :) As mentioned above, desktop app integration in 1Password X is something we're working toward, which would allow for that. Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I hope you mean that when you suggest 1Password for Windows allows Windows Hello to unlock a PC, it means that Hello can be used after you have put in a Master password when 1Password first starts (as in when you restart your PC or you logoff and logon again)?

@laugher: We're not talking about unlocking a PC. That's definitely outside the scope of 1Password (but Windows Hello is an option there).

As I indicated in a previous post, Windows Hello does not require the existence of a TPM chip and without me having to water down the default security policies. It will be a sad state of affairs if Windows Hello has replaced the master password on first use of 1Password.

If you're asking if we have plans to allow unlocking 1Password without ever entering the Master Password, the answer is no. The Master Password is needed to decrypt the data, and rest assured we are not going to write it to disk to facilitate something like that. :)

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

@brenty - thank you! That was the answer I wanted!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Good questions too. :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.