"Launch 1Password App" not giving focus to 1Password after launch

gregr
gregr
Community Member
edited October 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
So here's how it went.

After installing 3.9.1, I found that the menu bar icon would no longer launch 1P, and the "Launch 1Password App" from the Safari extension would start 1Password, but not display it (I could see it in my dock - but no GUI was visible unless I clicked on the icon).

I then went to the safari extension and locked 1P. After that, the menu bar icon started to work as expected - I can open 1P successfully from there, even after unlocking. So that all works fine now.

But the "Launch 1Password App" from the safari extension still starts 1P running (shows in my dock with a blue dot under it), but does not show the GUI until I click on it in the dock.

I should add I don't really care all that much, since I don't use that button in the extension anyway, but I thought I'd at least bring it up...seems like there might be a bug somewhere.

update: using safari extension 3.8.6

Comments

• The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    Gregr...I can confirm the exact same experience...down to needing to use the extension in order for the menu item to start functioning properly.

Also...when launching 1P from the extension, it does, indeed, launch the 1P app withOUT focus. You have to cmd tab or click the dock item to gain focus.

Minor issues, but worth noting.

That said...seems much more stable and I can delete things...which is a real treat.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm not seeing any focus issues when clicking the "Launch 1Password App" button in the browser extensions. Just in case the old helper process is running, please try restarting your Mac and see if you get better results.
  • gregr
    gregr
    Community Member
    For me, I installed on another machine; same behavior as before. Rebooted the machine and logged back in; same problems persist. Can't open 1P from the extension, and at the moment, the menu bar icon won't open 1P either.

This is with extension 3.8.6, on OS X 10.7.2
  • gregr
    gregr
    Community Member
    Still having the same problem; tried on another machine, rebooted that other machine, and still the same behavior.

Actually the menu bar didn't work at all for a while - it seems to be working again now after a bunch of fooling around with it.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Can you tell me what browser you are using?

Please enter this in your browser's address bar and then press Return:

x-onepassword://

Does 1Password launch when you press Return?
  • gregr
    gregr
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Can you tell me what browser you are using?

Please enter this in your browser's address bar and then press Return:

x-onepassword://

Does 1Password launch when you press Return?

Safari 5.1.1. When I enter x-onepassword:// in the address bar and hit return, 1P launches but again doesn't get the focus, and the GUI is not visible until I click on it in the dock. Same behavior as launching 1P from the extension.
  • Do other apps gain focus when you launch them from the address bar? When I enter

ssh://

in my address bar and hit enter, Terminal launches and takes focus.
  • gregr
    gregr
    Community Member
    bwoodruff wrote:

Do other apps gain focus when you launch them from the address bar? When I enter

ssh://

in my address bar and hit enter, Terminal launches and takes focus.

Yep - other apps like ssh launch and gain focus.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    This is very odd. I'm not sure what could be causing that on your machine, and we've been unable to reproduce this in our labs so far. We'll will keep an eye on this and see what we can uncover. Please keep us posted if you have any additional information to share about why it may be happening on your machine (i.e. window management applications running in the background, etc.).
  • gregr
    gregr
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

This is very odd. I'm not sure what could be causing that on your machine, and we've been unable to reproduce this in our labs so far. We'll will keep an eye on this and see what we can uncover. Please keep us posted if you have any additional information to share about why it may be happening on your machine (i.e. window management applications running in the background, etc.).

Well, I narrowed it down to the 3.8.6 version of the extension. As soon as I upgraded to 3.8.7, the problem went away, on both machines I am using.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update, gregr! I'm glad things are working well. :-)

Please let me know if you have any further trouble.

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.