1Password X for Edge

Hello amazing 1Password team! I would like to make a request to bring 1Password X to Edge. This would be amazing for those of us who like to use Windows 10 in S mode as it only allows store apps (and extensions by nature) to run. I know you all have been making great strides in 1Password for Windows in general, which I can't thank you enough for finally giving us Windows users some much needed love, but I feel 1Password X would make a great addition for Edge users :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1803
Sync Type: 1Password Sync

Comments

• Hey @WinPass,

Thank you for your kind words about 1Password for Windows. We think it would be a great idea to bring 1Password X to Windows! Edge uses the same browser extension technology as Chrome and Firefox, so it should be possible. We're still evaluating exactly how much work it will take and whether there are any showstoppers, but we hope to have good news for Edge and Windows 10 S users before too long. Keep an eye out on our blog and, of course, the forum, and stay in touch. :)

-Mitch

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member

Awesome. Thank you for the reply and I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed to hopefully see 1Password X come to edge :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@WinPass

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed...

So will we, frankly -- see aforementioned "showstoppers." Not that we're expecting them, but you never know. Stay tuned! :)

• scheb
    scheb
    Community Member

With the Surface Go released and shipping with S mode enabled, now would be a great time to finish that evaluation! :wink:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scheb - yep, you may be right! I don't have anything to share regarding features "in the pipeline," but we were glad to learn of the new capabilities of the just-released Surface Go as well.

• joedelaney
    joedelaney
    Community Member

Oh no.... Looks like we have an issue with Windows users becoming second-class citizens again... With the Surface Go (in Windows S mode) being ideal first laptops for kids, you're in danger of disappointing your 1Password Families accounts.... I don't want to switch my kids out of "S mode", so we either need a full UWP Windows Store app or 1Password X for Edge browser... at present we have neither!... I now regret signing up for an annual subscription in June... PLEASE say something to convince me that you recognise the gap in your strategy here...

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, Joe. Thanks for your post. We definitely want to bring 1Password X to more browsers. Edge and Safari are the big ones that are currently missing. Both of these browsers have some differences in how their extensions APIs work, so it's not as simple to bring 1Password X there as it was for, say, Firefox and Opera to come to the party that Chrome started. In the meantime, the web app should work for your kids in S mode. They'll need to copy and paste from there to their web pages, but it's available as a stopgap.

1Password X is currently just about a year old in its public life, and we're thrilled with the progress that we've made. That progress, though, has included a ton of changes that if we had had support for Safari and Edge from the beginning would have caused much more upheaval and prevented us from moving as fast as we have. As time marches on and things stabilize, we will be in a better position to start branching out.

So, while I want to reassure you that we are definitely looking at Edge and Safari, I simply cannot offer a timeline for when those might be available since so much can change so quickly and we wouldn't want to disappoint anyone if we were unable to meet a date we announced.

I know this isn't the definitive answer you were hoping for, but I hope it helps at least clarify our current thinking of how best to start toward Edge and Safari support. Let us know if you have any other questions!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Fort Worth, Texas

• Rangeball
    Rangeball
    Community Member

A few months later...any update. Maybe a beta for a merry xmas to us Edge users? ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing to announce at this time. If and when we do, we'll be excited too. ;)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@blaxxz - not entirely, but that certainly has something to do with it, yes. :)

• james7832
    james7832
    Community Member

So, what is the correct answer for using 1Password in Edge right now? Do I have to downgrade from 1Password X and install 1Password 7 for Windows? Can I have both 1Password 7 and 1Password X running on the same computer at the same time?

• blaxxz
    blaxxz
    Community Member

Wait for the new EDGE Browser.
    This one will be based on Chromium.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blaxxz: While the first "stable" release of the new Edge is not due until mid-January, 1Password for Windows already works with it. And so does 1Password X. ;)

@james7832: Both 1Password X and the companion extension for the desktop app can coexist. But I do recommend choosing one or the other to avoid confusion. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.