Alternative sync methods [not supported]

This discussion was created from comments split from: On WLAN Sync in 1Password 7.

Comments

• MrMcMuffinz
    MrMcMuffinz
    Community Member

Hi @brenty thanks for your reply however how am I suppose to import a backup from my mac vault to my windows machine now, given I don't have sync availabilities now? Also any information on perhaps supporting blob storage services like aws-s3 or ibm-cos? I'm in the situation where I predominately use mac + ios devices but on uncommon occasions I use my windows machine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MrMcMuffinz:

thanks for your reply however how am I suppose to import a backup from my mac vault to my windows machine now, given I don't have sync availabilities now?

Can you please elaborate on this a little bit? Why do you not have sync availabilities at the moment? We support several sync methods already, so you are able to sync your data if you wish.

• MrMcMuffinz
    MrMcMuffinz
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for your response and great question. Let me give a bit of context on my use case. I have the following devices:

1. macbook pro
    2. mac mini
    3. iphone xr
    4. windows 10 pro desktop

I have purchased a standalone license for both mac os and windows and have 1password installed on all devices.

Use Case #1: I can use wlan sync with all my apple products and I have my primary vault on my macbook pro.
    Use Case #2: I have a windows 10 pro desktop for gaming purposes however I sometimes use it to develop apps. With this system I don't see a way import backups from my apple setup to my windows setup. I only see an option to backup but it is not configurable nor can I find any options to backup to third party services with the standalone license.

So that we are all clear, I have no interest in subscribing to a membership at this moment perhaps in a year or two but not now. Looking at the documentation here https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/, I thought 1password had a client that work with dropbox api but it seems that I'm suppose to install dropbox and then setup my vault to work off of the dropbox folder? That's not very clear to me and if I'm interpreting it correctly that means I could actually use any other dropbox alternative to do the same? Why even mention dropbox in this case? What if I wanted to encrypt my backup using my own \<insert-application-here> on top of the backup and store it on cos or s3 or gdrive or onedrive? I guess I could use something like rclone to orchestrate my backup strategy but I can't control the location of my backup. I feel like the user experience has degraded and removed powerful functionality that we used to have.

• MrMcMuffinz
    MrMcMuffinz
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Sorry, please delete this message.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MrMcMuffinz,

Am I right to understand that the issue has been resolved? Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrMcMuffinz: Splitting you off into a new discussion so we can focus on the conversation you're trying to have here:

Looking at the documentation here https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/, I thought 1password had a client that work with dropbox api but it seems that I'm suppose to install dropbox and then setup my vault to work off of the dropbox folder? That's not very clear to me and if I'm interpreting it correctly that means I could actually use any other dropbox alternative to do the same? Why even mention dropbox in this case? What if I wanted to encrypt my backup using my own \ on top of the backup and store it on cos or s3 or gdrive or onedrive? I guess I could use something like rclone to orchestrate my backup strategy but I can't control the location of my backup.

You theoretically could do any of those things. Just be aware that they aren't supported. We have developed and tested 1Password with Dropbox for over a decade now, so if you're not using the 1Password membership service instead, that would be the best cross-platform alternative. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted no matter what. Only you have the "keys" to decrypt it.

This discussion has been closed.