Face ID not available

mrtoner
mrtoner
Community Member

So, what’s the key to using Face ID for authentication when using iOS 12’s Password Manager? I would say that 30% of the time 1Password asks me for my Master Password, even though I may have just used Face ID to unlock my phone. Even after using my Mastsr Password, I may still need it again when accessing another website. There’s no Face ID icon to re-attempt, either.

Comments

• @mrtoner,

From you description its not clear if you've configured 1Password itself to do Face ID unlock. You'd want to check that in 1Password -> Settings -> Security that the Face ID switch is turned on. I also want to point out that unlocking your phone itself using Face ID isn't sufficient to provide authorization to 1Password, so it will prompt you for Face ID whenever you unlock 1Password directly or attempt to do an AutoFill using iOS 12's Password Auto Fill feature.

• Mark Iovino
    Mark Iovino
    Community Member

i'm having the same issue but 100% of the time. my face id setting is turned on yet every time it has me type it in. i recently deleted and re-installed the app and went back to re-config all settings but no luck

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mark Iovino: I think maybe there's some confusion because unlocking the 1Password extension with the Master Password will not enable Face ID/Touch ID. You'd need to unlock the main 1Password app with the Master Password, and then biometrics will be available there and in the extension. Does that help?

• Mark Iovino
    Mark Iovino
    Community Member

Prior i had no problem when selecting the password option when it was available, the facw id world come up if enabled. Now or never comes up. Only requests my pw

• @Mark Iovino

Right; as Brenty mentioned you'd need to launch and unlock the 1Password app first in order to get that to happen again. There is currently a bug somewhere where in some cases this needs to be done multiple times before biometrics are enabled, but it is intended that the 1Password app has to be launched and unlocked before it'll be possible to use biometrics in Password AutoFill. The number of times this is necessary seems to be anywhere from one to about four or five. We're trying to track down why this happens but as far as I'm aware haven't had any luck in finding the cause yet.

Ben

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

great that you are already aware of this issue. It does not happen at all on my iPhone Xs, but it is hit or miss on my new iPad Pro. Sometimes 1Password accepts FaceID in Safari, sometimes not, even on the same website just a few minutes apart from each try. There is also an issue with the 1Password screen on the iPad Pro 12.9". I'll attach a screenshot. If I would not have a Smart Keyboard attched I would have a hard time entering the Masterpassword if FaceID is unvavailable. iOS is 12.1.4 and 1Password Version 7.2.7

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@peacekeeper: Did you try unlocking the main 1Password app first? I suspect biometrics will be available in the browser after that if you do, but let me know either way.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

Hi, @brenty, yes sure. The App itsself could be unlocked via FaceID after it failed in the Autofill Api. It was also unlocked before. Sometimes it works with faceid in safari, sometimes it does not. I could not find a real pattern. It only happens on the iPad Pro

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@peacekeeper: Hmm. To clarify, you're saying that you're able to use Face ID in the main 1Password app after unlocking there with the Master Password first, correct? If so, are you then also able to use Face ID to unlock when using iOS 12 Password Autofill the next time? Or do you also need to enter the Master Password for Autofill a few times for Face ID to be enabled?

That last bit was my experience after upgrading to iOS 12. I had been under the impression that it was intended behaviour for Apple's new iOS 12 Password Autofill feature, but we're looking into if that might not be the case.

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

To clarify, you're saying that you're able to use Face ID in the main 1Password app after unlocking there with the Master Password first, correct?

Yes

If so, are you then also able to use Face ID to unlock when using iOS 12 Password Autofill the next time?

No, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Or do you also need to enter the Master Password for Autofill a few times for Face ID to be enabled?

Somehow on the first attempt after unlocking the main app with my Masterpassword, FaceID worked in Autofill, then not, then again, then not.

By now (day 3 of using the iPad) it seems to work as expected on the iPad as well.

I had been under the impression that it was intended behaviour for Apple's new iOS 12 Password Autofill feature

This may be, but it seems strange, especially since this is not the behaviour it has shown on my iPhone XS.

Thanks your time and effort!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

Likewise, thanks for your patience and willingness to answer all of these questions! :lol:

My experience matches what you seem to be seeing, with the Master Password being required less after using it to unlock a number of times now. But we'll keep looking into it in case there is something we need to do differently. Cheers! :chuffed:

ref: apple-3124

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

@brenty my wife is having this issue on her iPad Pro. Drives her crazy because I preached to her to use a strong password for her master password. While your teams are looking for the root cause of this problem, can you not simply have a button to manually kick a face ID check next to the master password prompt? Similar to the finger print button next to the Master password field for iOS devices that doesn't use Face ID but Touch ID.

• Hi @laugher

How often and under what circumstances does this seem to be happening? The main 1Password app needs to be unlocked once before biometrics will be available in Password AutoFill. Once you've unlocked the main app, if your security settings in 1Password are set appropriately, you should be able to use Face ID to unlock Password AutoFill.

can you not simply have a button to manually kick a face ID check next to the master password prompt? Similar to the finger print button next to the Master password field for iOS devices that doesn't use Face ID but Touch ID.

We do, any time that this would be applicable. We show that button when we have the secrets that we need for biometrics to unlock 1Password but the device has restarted or biometrics were cancelled on last activation. It works the same with Touch ID as it does with Face ID. Showing a button when the necessary secrets aren't present (because the main app hasn't been unlocked) wouldn't achieve what you're looking for.

Looping back to my above comments about the security settings... there are a few things you can check. In 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security there is a "Require Master Password" option. Try setting this to "never." If it is already set to never please try setting a different value and then setting it back to never. In 1Password > Settings > Security please make sure the settings there match your expectations.

Ben

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben - I wasn’t aware there was a security setting under Advanced. I’ve did what you suggested and will monitor her iPad and let you know how it goes.

• Great. Thanks. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@laugher: For what it's worth, Face ID has been inconsistent for me across the board recently, not just with 1Password. I suspect this is getting "locked" due to failed biometric authentication attempts (e.g. my phone wakes up, thinks it's looking for a face, doesn't see mine a few times -- maybe the inside of my pocket).

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member

@brenty I think that’s what’s causing the issue for her as well. With Touch ID, I never seem to have the issue. I’m going to continue monitoring the new setting as suggested @Ben and see how it works out for her. I just love the expression I see when she comes to me with her new iPad and the master password prompt is facing her. I felt like asking her to learn to type. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

I did not think I would be happy with Face ID, but I am. However it is one downside compared to Touch ID that it's easier to get a failure by triggering it accidentally (especially with Tap to Wake and/or Raise to Wake enabled). But given it was impossible for me to unlock without a passcode in previous winters, or after being in water, I'll take that tradeoff. :lol:

• TobiasAT
    TobiasAT
    Community Member

I think I have a similar, or the same issue. I use an iPhone XS with iOS 13.2.3 and 1Password 7.4.4.
    I can use Face ID to unlock 1Password, but if use Password AutoFill 1Password asks me for the Master Password, instead to use Face ID. For each app. :| I had an iPhone 8 before, and it was easy to use TouchID in combination with AutoFill. I know, the thread is 7 months old, but the issue is the same.

My security settings:

• Require Master Password: After device restart
    • PIN code: Disabled
    • Show lock screen for Password AutoFill: Disabled
  • Hi @TobiasAT

Show lock screen for Password AutoFill: Disabled

Please try enabling that, and also try disabling 1Password > Settings > Security > Lock on Exit. Then try using autofill. Do you get prompted for the Master Password?

Ben

• TobiasAT
    TobiasAT
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Hi @Ben,

Thanks for the hint. If disable these settings the Master Password screen appears in apps after the auto-lock time is expired. I reduced the timer to 1 minute. After 1 minute 1Password is locked and the master password is required, no option for FaceID. I was able to unlock 1Password with FaceID.

Tobias

• TobiasAT
    TobiasAT
    Community Member

@Ben, seems after some hours the AutoFill with FaceID is working. The settings are the same.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @TobiasAT! I am glad to hear that things started working again.

This discussion has been closed.