How long does 1password x beta take before it prompts for master password again?

The browser extension's Settings page doesn't seem to specify and it's definitely happening faster than the 1 day I have specified for the desktop app that it's integrated with.

1Password Version: 7.4.2.BETA-0 (70402000)
Extension Version: 1.17.6
OS Version: MacOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @bradical! Thanks for reaching out. :)

The 1Password X Settings page won't show the lock settings while Desktop App Integration is enabled, but I did just test adjusting the auto-lock settings in 1Password for Mac and found that they worked on 1Password X as well, as long as Desktop App Integration is enabled.

I'm curious if Desktop App Integration is working properly. Can you please send me a screenshot of the top portion of the 1Password X Settings page? It should look like this:

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

Sure it's here:

I should note that I also have the 1Password for Desktop extension enabled so that I could take advantage of the Click and Fill as per this discussion. Perhaps that is interfering with the timeout.

• Ah, that's likely the issue @bradical. With another extension enabled, 1Password X won't be able to be the "default password manager," which is required for it to fully function. (This support article outlines the permissions that setting entails).

Can you try enabling "Make 1Password the default password manager?" in 1Password X? You can get there by scrolling down on that 1Password X Settings page. Let me know if that fixes the auto-lock issue. :)

The other bit of good news is you can totally use open and fill in 1Password for Mac with 1Password X (with Desktop App Integration enabled). The issue that seemed like broken filling is instead an auto-focus issue. 1Password X will look for the login form on a site when you use open and fill or autofill but if the site places focus somewhere else, 1Password X won't fill. Can you try the following (without the desktop companion extension enabled)?:
    1. Click open and fill in 1Password for Mac from the 1Password support forum login item you have saved.
    2. When the sign in page loads, click into the username field.

Does the login fill?

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

Can you try enabling "Make 1Password the default password manager?" in 1Password X? You can get there by scrolling down on that 1Password X Settings page. Let me know if that fixes the auto-lock issue.

It looks like it already is:

The other bit of good news is you can totally use open and fill in 1Password for Mac with 1Password X (with Desktop App Integration enabled). The issue that seemed like broken filling is instead an auto-focus issue. 1Password X will look for the login form on a site when you use open and fill or autofill but if the site places focus somewhere else, 1Password X won't fill. Can you try the following (without the desktop companion extension enabled)?:

1. Click open and fill in 1Password for Mac from the 1Password support forum login item you have saved.

2. When the sign in page loads, click into the username field.

Does the login fill?

It does! So are you saying this is a limitation of the forums site in particular? I guess I assumed that the fill on click was just the normal 1Password X behavior and not the autofill.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@bradical – Thanks for testing that out!

So are you saying this is a limitation of the forums site in particular? I guess I assumed that the fill on click was just the normal 1Password X behavior and not the autofill.

The behavior you just tried isn't limited to our forum site. Cecelia just mentioned that item for the test, but you should be able to use the open and fill button in 1Password for Mac with Desktop App Integration enabled. That's the joy of 1Password X and 1Password for Mac communicating with each other, among other things. You're welcome to give it a try with other Logins of yours. If you run into any trouble, let us know and we'll investigate.

As far as the original issue you reported goes, I am familiar with such a thing. What's going on is that your auto-lock settings for 1Password X are still being applied even though they shouldn't be since you have Desktop App Integration enabled. It's a bug that our team is working on resolving, but I do have a workaround for you. Please give these steps a shot:

1. Open the 1Password X settings page.
    2. [Temporarily] Disable Integrate with 1Password for Mac.
    3. Disable Automatically lock 1Password (or just raise the idle timeout if you're more comfortable with that).
    4. Re-enable Integrate with 1Password for Mac.

After doing that, 1Password for Mac will control the lock settings and 1Password X won't get in the way of it. You can test it out by changing your idle timeout in 1Password for Mac's settings to 1 minute. If you leave your computer alone for a minute, both 1Password for Mac and 1Password X will be locked when you return.

Just a side note for anyone else coming across this thread that isn't the OP: I would ONLY recommend disabling 1Password X's auto-lock settings if Desktop App Integration is enabled and working and therefore 1Password for Mac controls the auto-lock settings. It's not something I'd recommend when using 1Password X without Desktop App Integration.

ref: x/b5x#1221

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member

You're welcome to give it a try with other Logins of yours. If you run into any trouble, let us know and we'll investigate.

Will do. It does seem to be an issue with focus. Though it seems like the original 1Password Desktop integration extension did a better job of finding and filling those fields on open.

Please give these steps a shot... After doing that, 1Password for Mac will control the lock settings and 1Password X won't get in the way of it. You can test it out by changing your idle timeout in 1Password for Mac's settings to 1 minute. If you leave your computer alone for a minute, both 1Password for Mac and 1Password X will be locked when you return.

Yes, this worked well. Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@bradical

Will do. It does seem to be an issue with focus. Though it seems like the original 1Password Desktop integration extension did a better job of finding and filling those fields on open.

I know what you mean. The 1Password desktop app fills on page load while 1Password X fills on field focus. Luckily, the majority of websites put focus inside the username field when you visit their sign in page, but there's also a few that don't. That's when a click inside the field is required with 1Password X.

Yes, this worked well. Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that!

This discussion has been closed.