Big performance issue [Will be improved in 1Password 7.4]

jimger
jimger
Community Member
edited February 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi I am using latest beta version of windows. The problem is that I have extreme performance issues since beggining. When I am trying to edit stuff, when I try to autocomplete etc. It has extreme delay in the beginning. Most probably has to do with the vault and not pc, as it does the same in both home and work laptop etc. I have no problem in the android one. At some point I saw in the forum it was a bug with no eta fix date. What is happening with that? Is there any easy way to maybe recreate my vault export my data and reimport them and magically fix it?
It is extremely shame that my mobile device is magnitudes times faster than my pcs

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• This is likely that same issue, @jimger, and it remains something with no specific ETA. There are likely a number of factors that play into whether or not you're impacted by this issue – not everyone is and it's something we can see on really powerful machines and that some using much less powerful hardware avoid entirely – but the primary cause is within 1Password itself. Trouble is, it's sizable project to fix it and that means it's unlikely to be fully resolved with any one change. We expect that it will improve over time as we improve the app's efficiency overall and re-do a few things under-the-hood to improve performance across the board, but making these improvements to essentially every part of 1Password is going to take some time and there's no way to know for sure what specific change will improve things for any given person.

What I can tell you for now is that the primary culprit for these issues is sync. This is why things typically seem fairly slow when you first start using 1Password, but often clear up as you continue using it. Sync completes and that frees up app memory for other tasks and allows for things to speed up. As such, my best bit of advice for the moment is to unlock early. I always boot up my PC in the morning before I go make coffee so that by the time I've got my cup of joe in hand and am getting down to work, Windows has finished whatever startup shenanigans it needed to sort out and everything is ready to go. I'm not personally impacted by this issue, but if I were, I'd tack unlocking 1Password onto my morning to-do list before making that cup of coffee and I'd expect that to dramatically reduce the impact of this problem, if not eliminate it. If you can do something similar, it should help ease the pain.

I'm sorry I don't have better news for you, but we are very much aware of this issue and the impact it's having and will be making every effort to improve things moving forward. Keep an eye out, continue monitoring things as new versions come out, and if things change for you with any given release, let us know. We'll be keeping an eye on this too and continued updates about how things are going for those seeing this issue are a huge help. :chuffed:

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Well problem is it happens every time the app is locking. I do use Dropbox sync just in case... It is way more disturbing to work rather than home as I lock the computer when going away from office and that can happen many times per day. Tbh it would be much more of a problem if it was on mobile. I do get it is probably a non trivial thing to fix but I have some questions.... 1)Why doesn't it affect the mobile 2)How can something as core as sync affect specific users and 3) if I export my data delete the vault and then import the data again would that fix the problem?

• bundtkate
    edited December 2019

Locking and unlocking triggers sync, so yep. That'll get ya, unfortunately, @jimger. :frown:

The reason it doesn't affect mobile is because even though sync is what triggers it, it's not the sync process itself that's the problem. Without getting too techy on you (and risking getting the details wrong myself), what happens is that sync uses a lot of the app's resources right now. This isn't a problem with the sync system but rather a problem with how we decided in the past to handle these various tasks. When 1Password 6 was first built, it pretty much handled everything at once. It was a lot more of a basic application back then – no Watchtower 2.0, no checking Have I Been Pwned for vulnerable passwords and, in fact, not standalone sync at all. Now, 1Password 7 is a lot more powerful and getting a bit too big for its older britches.

Exporting your data will not help. In fact, I've seen little that does aside from moving to a 1Password membership. One thing that can, but doesn't always, help is Help > Tools > Optimize database. If this is something that hasn't always given you trouble and you haven't added an extensive number of new items between when things were fine and now, that somewhat increases the chances this will help. What it does is clean up old, unused data from your local database so there's less garbage to sync. Another thing that can make a difference is cleaning up any conflict files. 1Password saves these when there's a sync conflict – one version of the conflicted item will "win" and be synced to all devices and the other is saved, but not displayed, just in case. Getting rid of those files is another thing that can sometimes help speed things up. Again, though, there's no guarantee there. I've not seen anything to specifically point to larger databases being a problem, but it's worth a try and has helped some.

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Ok thanks I will try it now. Sorry just saw the answer after logging in to post another issue to android this time :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimger,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :) Please give it a try and let us know if it improve things (fingers crossed).

Cheers,
    Greg

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Previous things didn't improve it much tbh but after update of latest Beta (7.4.738) now things are finally smooth. Please don't break it. Finally I have the speed I expected from the beginning. I don't know what u did but it seems I don't have any performance issue anymore on either laptop

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @jimger! I am glad to hear this :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimger,

We did a lot for 1Password 7.4 beta 1. :) If you are interested, you can check the full release notes here.

Let us know if you have other questions, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

@Greg Yeah I did when installed (Most times I do for both Android and Windows) but I am not sure which of those bugfixes solved my problem. Kinda don't care that much either :P

• There are over 100+ different changes alone for 7.4 beta 1, so if decide to give it a read, make sure you get some popcorn ready first. 😉

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hi @jimger,

Can you open 1Password and go to 1Password menu to find 1Password 7.4.741 beta 3 update.

Can you let me know if it is working better or the same? We've made another change for the Folder Sync feature and it should be more responsive in the 1Password main or mini interfaces while it syncs.

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

@MikeT I just did (manually as automatically has stayed at 7.4.738). Can't really tell any difference as the 7.4.738 was actually instant. It is still instant. I can't tell any difference as I can't find any delay in general...

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

That is good, we just want to make sure it doesn’t regress for you.

The improvement would be noticed if you have multiple vaults and doing something when they are all being synced at the same time.

Thanks for trying it.

This discussion has been closed.