Search items by password

Options
veruska
veruska
Community Member

I used to be able to search items by password. It helps me a lot when I remember the password rather than the username or other details.
After I switched to the new version, when I type a password on the search field, nothing comes out.
What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@veruska: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It depends on what you're using and how you're "searching". Unfortunately without some basic information you've omitted from your post it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Let me know!

Also, I do have to say though that if you're remembering a password to search for it in the first place, it isn't going to be very strong. I'd encourage you to use 1Password to create and save and fill unique passwords for each site which no one could guess, since that's what it's here for. :)

Change your passwords and make them stronger

• veruska
    veruska
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Brenty
    Sorry about that. I thought I had already entered the information when I first joined the forum.
    OS is 10.14.4 - 1Password 7.2.5 running on a MacBook Pro Late 2013
    I understand and appreciate your guidance about the best way to create passwords, and that was the main reason I first purchased it back in 2009. Right now I have 1,600+ items stored. But in the past I used to create passwords manually and for the past couple of months, whenever I have a chance, I try to do a spring cleaning to get rid or unsubscribe stuff. In the past it was easy. All I had to do was to search by those random words (I remember a few of them) and pull them up. Now I have to open each and every item to do the same. I want to clean update it and change passwords now that 1Password got even better. Does it make sense?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@veruska: No worries! We just need the current information since you were using very different versions back when you first joined. :) Thanks for the info. That helps me give a more specific answer. Since you're using 1Password for Mac version 7, you should see something like this when you search in the main 1Password window:

Note the button to "Expand the search to all fields". If you search for a password, you'll want to click that to show items with that text in the password field, rather than the usual stuff like title, URL, etc.

I can definitely understand the desire to do some spring cleaning! I will say though that I have mostly given up on this. I've got a lot of data in 1Password like you do, and since I can find what I need by searching instead of using the "hunt and peck method", I've decided that I'll use my time for stuff other than trying to go through everything in my vault to clear things out. After all, it's all secure there anyway, and since 1Password shows me results only for the current website when I use it in the browser, I just use that time for other stuff -- work or play -- that's more important to me. Of course, that's a very personal decision, so you don't have to do what I do. But I thought I'd mention it in case it helps you too. Cheers! :)

• kirkwood
    kirkwood
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Would really like to be able to search by password too. Found conflicting information online about being able to search for a password.

It seems like the search is working BUT is including items with previously used passwords matching the same.

I'm not sure how to even clear out those older passwords as they are not needed.

Running windows 10. 1Password 7.3.712

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's correct. 1Password for Windows doesn't have that kind of granularity for searching, so you will find all items containing the string. But it's something we'd like to offer advanced options for in the future. Thanks for your feedback!

It is not possible to "clear out" password history from an item, but if you duplicate it the new copy will not have the password history. It's an important safety net to avoid getting locked out of an account if a password change fails, so I don't expect we'll be changing that.

This discussion has been closed.