Can u go back to the old extension?

Tharkarr
Tharkarr
Community Member
edited December 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello i recently had to reinstall windows and having to reinstall everything i also hard to reinstall the firefox extension for 1password.
And its aweful i absolutely hate it the autofill now looks disgusting, the shortcuts dont work at all, i cant asign new shortcuts, it constantly forgets my login, it doesnt synch my login with the desktop app anymore so i have to unlock it 2 times everytime or everytime i open my browser, it looks terrible, im forced to have a history in order for it to work otherwhise it completely brakes and gives a white screen whenever i tell firefox not to make a history, the autofill no longer continues to the next side it just puts the text in. Whatever this new extension is it is literally worse then the old one in any possible way and it has tons of bugs is there any way for me to get the download link of the old extension, because with something like this i really dont want to buy 1 password again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1Password X v1.16.2 (firefox)
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @Tharkarr! It sounds like you may be used to our desktop-dependent 1Password extension, which you can install on our downloads page. 1Password X (the version you currently have installed) is our newest extension, but it doesn't communicate with the desktop app the way you may be used to – that's why it looks like you're needing to unlock 1Password twice. As far as the sync issue goes, 1Password X should sync immediately with your desktop app as long as both are signed into the same 1Password account. If you do end up sticking with 1Password X, I'd like you to do a couple more tests to ensure the sync is behaving properly. If you'd prefer to return to the desktop-dependent extension, you can click the link above and select the Install button underneath the Firefox logo. After installing that extension, it'd be a good idea to remove 1Password X to avoid any confusion.

I hope that clears things up for you, but I'll be here if you have any questions!

• Tharkarr
    Tharkarr
    Community Member

Ah Thank u very much i was downloading from the Vault wich links a different page and on there i didnt see a second option, im really glad to see the old app isnt gone. Tho i dont think i will stick with 1Password X but now i know that it exists i might try it in some months again to see if it has changed. Thanks again for the help and have a great day.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Tharkarr – You're very welcome! I'm glad you ended with the extension that you prefer. Change can be difficult, especially when it comes unexpectedly so I understand where you're coming from. I do hope you give 1Password X another shot in the future, though. If/when that time comes, don't hesitate to get in touch with us so we can help make the transition as smooth as possible. ❤️

• Tharkarr
    Tharkarr
    Community Member

As someone who has tried the new 1PX (more or less willingly :D) here is what i liked, disliked and what i would change to give some feedback of my personal opinion on it:

Lets start with the bad:

-the worst thing to me was that the hotkey didnt work for me. I couldnt assign a new hotkey and the standard hotkey when i tried to use it didnt work, wich was very frustrating. (when i tried to set a new hotkey it just instantly cleared the field again every single time)

-next what i really didnt like was the fill in animation. One thing i really like about 1 password is that it feels and looks high quality professionaly made, and the old app had the nice animation when u filld something in, in 1PX however it just plobs the text in.
    (it also highlighted the field blue wich makes it look like when u accedentally highlight something on a website so i didnt really like that either)

-another big negative was that in order for this app to work u have to enable a history and non strict settings in firefox wich is most used as a privacy browser thus kind of defeating the purpose of using the browser i think that really needs a work around

The Good:

-the thing i liked the most in 1PX was that i jsut had to click on the field and right underneath a window popped up asking wich login to use showing relevant once to the side thats very nice since that way i dont even have to use the hotkey

-the next thing i like was the options menu changing how the programm behaves and giving the user more control/personalisation being able to change hotkeys as well and all that good stuff

bonus point for nice,helpful and understanding support :D

What i would want to see:

-maybe add an option in the settings of 1PX to turn off the window that comes when clicking on a field as not everyone might want that

-if possible try and make it login synchronized with the desktop app like the old app so that i do not have to enter my master password every time i open my browser (especially if u have a big masterpassword)

-add an option in the options menu so that u can toggle "go to next side" or smth like that like the old app does it instantly goes to the next side instead of only filling in the words (again as and option incase not everyone wants that)

-defenetly add the animation back to the autofill looks way better and is also more enjoyable to use (maybe as option too if u dont want the animation)

-very important to me would be make it work with firefox no matter what settings u use in the browser, im used to 1Password being high quality and it just working so i was very disappointed to see that

-now i dont know how to true this is but the application looked like it might take up some performance more then the old one, again i havent tested that and i dont know if it even does but just incase, make sure the performance inpact is minimal thats another important option i would say

I dont know how much this feedback is going to help but i thought i might give something back, and the way i felt/what i think of it as someone who hasnt used it before and went in blind like a first impression. Of corse all personal opinion but feedback nontheless.

Best Regards
    -Tharkarr

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Tharkarr – Thanks so much for taking the time to write out your thoughts and opinions about 1Password X! It means a lot that you'd do that, so I really appreciate it. I do think we're on the same page when it comes to many of your points, but I'll bring them up to my team and see what we can do to improve the experience even further. I'll touch on each of your 'wants' super briefly now, though.

-maybe add an option in the settings of 1PX to turn off the window that comes when clicking on a field as not everyone might want that

Since you only used 1Password X for a short period of time, I wouldn't have expected you to explore every setting. That said, there is a way to disable the inline menu (the menu that appears directly underneath fields) on the 1Password X settings page. The option is called Offer to fill and save passwords. Aside from that, you can disable Show autofill menu on field focus if you'd rather click the 1Password X icon inside a field to view the menu instead of it appearing as soon as you put focus inside a field.

-if possible try and make it login synchronized with the desktop app like the old app so that i do not have to enter my master password every time i open my browser (especially if u have a big masterpassword)

This is something we're working on as we speak. In the 1Password X and 1Password for Mac beta, for example, the two apps can communicate with each other and share lock/unlock states. In case you're curious, you can learn more about what we call Desktop App Integration here.

-add an option in the options menu so that u can toggle "go to next side" or smth like that like the old app does it instantly goes to the next side instead of only filling in the words (again as and option incase not everyone wants that)

My guess is that you're referring to autosubmit, which is a feature that only exists in 1Password for Windows as far as I know. As of macOS Mojave, that feature is no longer available on macOS. I honestly don't see it coming back, mainly for security reasons. We do our best to put focus inside the password field after filling that way you'll be able to quickly hit the return key to submit the form.

-defenetly add the animation back to the autofill looks way better and is also more enjoyable to use (maybe as option too if u dont want the animation)

I'm a bit surprised by this request, but I'm glad you shared it with me. An optional animation may be beneficial for users who'd prefer it, but I personally love the simple blue overlay on fields that are filled by 1Password X. It's nice to double check which fields were filled so I can quickly ensure everything looks right.

-very important to me would be make it work with firefox no matter what settings u use in the browser, im used to 1Password being high quality and it just working so i was very disappointed to see that

I know what you mean here. While in private browsing mode, Firefox prevents extensions from accessing the local database, which 1Password X relies on in order to function properly. So far, we've seen this behavior when Never remember history or Always use private browsing mode is enabled. As far as I know, there isn't a way around it. We'll keep exploring new opportunities every chance we get, though.

-now i dont know how to true this is but the application looked like it might take up some performance more then the old one, again i havent tested that and i dont know if it even does but just incase, make sure the performance inpact is minimal thats another important option i would say

I'll keep an eye on this, however, I haven't noticed anything drastic. If you do end up testing it in the future, I'd love to hear about it.

I dont know how much this feedback is going to help but i thought i might give something back, and the way i felt/what i think of it as someone who hasnt used it before and went in blind like a first impression. Of corse all personal opinion but feedback nontheless.

Any feedback is beneficial, in my opinion. It either confirms what I already know and that we're moving in the right direction or it gives me an opportunity to see things from a different perspective. Either way, it's a win. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.