Using private Standalone 6 and using 1Password for teams. Should I update when prompted?

rajsaxena
rajsaxena
Community Member
edited December 2019 in Business and Teams

Hi,

First of all, awesome job team building a great product and congratulations on the funding!

I have been a 1Password 6 user using standalone client with Dropbox. Recently at work we started using 1Password for teams. I happily configured/logged into my browser and everything is working fine.
Later, when I opened my client, it prompted me to update to version 7. This is probably because the 1Password for teams gives you access to the latest client. I am cautious and wanted to check if I upgrade, would I be locked out of my personal vault? Or will it break somehow because I don't have a version 7 license?
Or do I get a free upgrade till I keep using the company account?
Note: I am quite happy with version 6 and do not wish to pay the fee for the upgrade now (referring to this thread where it sayd the upgrade is $49 - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90206/why-is-there-no-clear-concise-explanation-on-upgrading-a-standalone-v-6-8-9-to-standalone-v7)

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Firefox 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOs Catalina
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rajsaxena: Thanks for the kind words, and for your support! :)

Later, when I opened my client, it prompted me to update to version 7. This is probably because the 1Password for teams gives you access to the latest client.

Correct!

I am cautious and wanted to check if I upgrade, would I be locked out of my personal vault? Or will it break somehow because I don't have a version 7 license?

Nope. The app will be fully "unlocked" by virtue of your 1Password account.

Or do I get a free upgrade till I keep using the company account?

Essentially, yes. ;)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rajsaxena
    rajsaxena
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response @brenty .
    I have a follow-up question and this is me thinking long term. In case, if/when in future, I leave the company, will my private vault be locked to version 7 forcing me to buy the standalone upgrade then. Or is there an option to downgrade vault version from 7 to 6?
    Or I would be able to continue using version 7 (which would mean I am now getting a truly free upgrade).

• @rajsaxena

We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.