Google Chrome is flagged as unsupported browser

Since today, I can no longer access the web app at my.1password.com. Whenever I try I get an error saying that "this browser is not supported". Both the desktop app and the chrome extension work fine. When I try to use an incognito tab the web app works fine. I tried disabling all extensions in chrome, but the problem persists.

I did not modify either Chrome [Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)] nor my OS over the past few weeks. Yesterday, I did start adding a Chromebook to my list of devices, so that may have changed something regarding the chrome browser settings that has now synced across my machines(?). I have the same issues there as I have on this machine.

Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Version 1803 Build 17134.1130
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @FirefoxMetzger! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please post a screenshot of the error message that you are seeing? Thank you!

• FirefoxMetzger
    FirefoxMetzger
    Community Member

Absolutely, here is how the page looks: http://prntscr.com/q4qsfa

• Thanks for the screenshot, @FirefoxMetzger. It's super helpful.

We recently made a change on the server to encourage those on older browsers to upgrade. Somehow you're being flagged as having an outdated browser even though Chrome 78 should be perfectly fine. I've shared this post with our server team and hopefully one of them can jump in here soon and shine some light on what the issue is here.

++dave;

• FirefoxMetzger
    FirefoxMetzger
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply Dave.

I actually managed to fix the issue just now on my Windows 10 machine; I cleared my cache (files and images) and now it is working again. I suppose the solution is that I had corrupted cache files. I also tried the same on my Chromebook - same result. Clearing the cache fixed it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. Thanks for the update. I'm sorry that was necessary for Chrome to be identified as up to date, but I'm glad that did the trick!

• I'm quite perplexed by that, but I've made a note of this internally in case anyone else runs into a similar problem. Thank you for the report, @FirefoxMetzger, and for finding a solution! I wouldn't imagine this would come up again for you, but if it does, I'd love to hear about it.

• FirefoxMetzger
    FirefoxMetzger
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Another Update. It is happening again. When I tried to update an entry in my vault via the web app, I am seeing the "browser not supported" message again. Clearing the image/file cache of chrome does help. I think there might be some shenanigans going on...

Edit: To specify, I think something that gets stored in the cache is picked up on by the web app and causes it to stop functioning, and instead to display this message. It's no longer a blocker; still a nuisance. I'll post again if I find a precise way to reproduce it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FirefoxMetzger: Stupid question probably, but could it maybe be related to being signed in to a Google Account and something strange with some settings syncing, either from Chrome itself or an extension? I am having trouble imagining how that could actually be possible, but it does seem telling that clearing the cache resolves it, but then it comes back...

• TonySimonovsky
    TonySimonovsky
    Community Member

I have an up-to-date Chrome (Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and MacOS and 1password site identifies me as being on wrong browser. How to fix that?
    I'm trying to login in 1password for the first time on this machine.

• FirefoxMetzger
    FirefoxMetzger
    Community Member

I have an update. Not 100% if this is the cause or another symptom, but it likely shouldn't be happening.

Whenever I get the error that my "browser is not supported", I also get a CORS error for this file: https://app.1password.com/js/app-270529de49f416a7f17e.min.js

It makes sense, because app.1password.com is a different domain than my.1password.com; I guess some headers don't have properly configured Access-Controll-Allow-Origin attributes? After I clear the cache everything works fine again, and the CORS error disappears.

• Aha! Yes, this is an issue we've seen a few times, but I got confused by the "unsupported" message. Previously this issue would just cause a white screen, which obviously isn't desirable either. We have a few ideas for improving this, but in the meantime, thank you very much @FirefoxMetzger for the updates.

@TonySimonovsky, can you verify that clearing the browser cache fixes the problem for you? You can clear the cache by going to chrome://settings/clearBrowserData and selecting just "Cached images and files". Another option is to do a force reload (Command-Shift-R on Mac).

For both of you, note that customers who have reported a white screen in these cases have almost always had Google Tag Manager installed in Chrome. Is that the case for either of you? Try disabling that extension and see if that helps. If you can disable it permanently for the 1password.com domain, that may resolve the issue for you.

• FirefoxMetzger
    FirefoxMetzger
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

I tried @brenty 's suggestion and experimented with the syncing; you seem to be on to something there. The issue goes away if I either a) turn off syncing, or b) disable all my extensions. It seems to be a combination of having sync enabled as well as one or more (yet to be identified) extensions.

@rob Yes I have google tag manager installed. I tried disabling it already, but that didn't seem to fix the "browser not supported" issue. I have encountered the white screen before on my Windows machine and another Linux machine; yet a Ctrl+F5 refresh of the page would 'fix' it, so I never thought too much about it. I will try disabling GTM next time I encounter this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FirefoxMetzger: Thanks for the update! I wonder if disabling GTM only helps if you clear the cache afterward and then try again. Whatever it's doing/syncing may already be present otherwise.

• FirefoxMetzger
    FirefoxMetzger
    Community Member

Okay, Tag Assistant is indeed the issue. Here is what I did:

1. Be logged in on the 1password web app
    2. Activate Tag Assistant
    3. reload the tab where the web app is running

For me, this produces "Your browser is not supported". If I clear the cache now (even if tag assistant is still running), I am presented with the login page again. I can log into the vault and it works fine until the page is refreshed. I'm not 100% sure how to interpret this behavior.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional info, @FirefoxMetzger! Tagging in @rob just to make sure he sees your steps to reproduce as well.

• TonySimonovsky
    TonySimonovsky
    Community Member

@rob this worked, thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that Rob's suggestion worked :)

• Thanks, @FirefoxMetzger. This matches with my current understanding of the issue, and I'm hoping we'll be able to improve some things on our side soon.

• tcultech
    tcultech
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

I've been having this same problem in Chrome (latest version) all month (Dec. 2019). Turning off the Google Tag Manager extension and clearing the cache fixed the problem for me as well. So I guess we just leave that extension off unless we're actively using it from now on. Thanks!

• Hey @tcultech, I'm glad to hear that this thread helped. :smile:

• PeterSin
    PeterSin
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. Latest version of Chrome on Mac (79) and getting the unsupported browser message. Have tried all the fixes recommended on this page - clearing caches, deactivating tag assistant - but no luck. Help!

• Hey @PeterSin — Thanks for letting us know. I reached out to our development team and they let me know this could also be related to actual network issues that interfere with the loading of the script, like a firewall or faulty connection.

To rule these out, can you try restarting your wireless router and trying again? Also, please make sure to add 1Password ports and domains to your whitelist as outlined in this short guide: — 1Password Support : 1Password ports and domains —

ref:dev/b5/b5#7078

• PeterSin
    PeterSin
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. Latest version of Chrome on Mac (79) and getting the unsupported browser message. Have tried all the fixes recommended on this page - clearing caches, deactivating tag assistant - but no luck. Help!

• PeterSin
    PeterSin
    Community Member

Hi @cecilia thanks for the quick response. I did manage to get it working again yesterday but couldn't tell you which combination of things did it. Didn't restart router, but did do a hard reset on the cache clear. We are a digital agency so we have our own inhouse devs - they checked the firewall settings and ports and whitelist too yesterday. Important thing is its working ATM.

• Sweet! I'm happy to hear things are working again, @PeterSin. Let us know if the issue resurfaces. :)

• OlleLundell
    OlleLundell
    Community Member

I had the same issue today. The reason was I installed the GTM/GA Debug plugin yesterday. I solved it by turning it off by default.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@OlleLundell – Thanks for letting us know. Do you still see the "unsupported browser" message anytime that plugin is enabled?

• OlleLundell
    OlleLundell
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Yes.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@OlleLundell – I'm curious if you've tried the suggestions in this thread. Some users have had luck with clearing their cache even with Google Tag Manager enabled. As Rob mentioned previously, if it's possible to disable Google Tag Manager on my.1password.com, that may help.

• OlleLundell
    OlleLundell
    Community Member

No I didn't try that. I don't need to have the plugin running all the time, just when I check certain sites.

This discussion has been closed.