Password sync issues in iOS

harish_ravikumar
harish_ravikumar
Community Member

Why does a credential updated through web is not automatically updated in iOS app?
I'll have to manually synchronize the passwords by opening the iOS app, for it to work correctly in auto-fill forms.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @harish_ravikumar!

Sync happens immediately after you open the 1Password app on your iOS device. Were you expecting sync to happen automatically in the background, even with the app closed?

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana Thanks for your response. I'd expect an automatic background sync without having to open the 1Password app first in my iOS device.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @harish_ravikumar. 1Password for iOS is not able to use background sync when it's not opened, because it needs to be unlocked in order to make changes to your data. And it can only be unlocked by entering your Master Password or using Touch ID (since your data is encrypted), so background sync is not something that can really be used by the 1Password app unfortunately.

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

Hello @ag_ana Thanks for the clarifications.
    Are you saying that background sync will not work if the underlying data to be synchronized across devices are encrypted?

Is it also the case if I change a credential on my iPhone will not be synced automatically in my iPad app unless I open the app beforehand?

Thanks again for clarifications!
    Harish

• @harish_ravikumar

My understanding is that the answer here depends a bit on which sync method you're using, but generally even if the encrypted data is synced in the background 1Password has to be opened and unlocked in order for those changes to be reflected in the database. If you could please let us know which option you're using for sync I can double check this with our development team. It sounds like you may be using a 1Password membership to sync. Is that correct?

Ben

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

@Ben thanks for your feedback.
    I have a 1Password membership single subscription (not linked to this forum’s email address)

• Thanks for confirming @harish_ravikumar. I spoke with development and what I said about is essentially the summary of it. When 1Password for iOS is locked iOS may background sync data from 1Password.com, but that data won't be available to you (e.g. in autofill) until you unlock 1Password for iOS.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member

Hello @Ben, @ag_ana Many thanks for your time in responding to my queries promptly. Your explanation clarifies my question.

• Glad to hear that helped. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• d4kris
    d4kris
    Community Member

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a follow up question to it. What about the other way around?
    If I change a password in the iOS app, then the app is open and unlocked.
    Should it not sync to 1password.com then?
    I assumed that was the case but it seems that was a mistake.

• In that case it should sync immediately after being saved, assuming you're connected to the internet, yes. Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.