Edge (Mac & Windows) support?

Options

Hi, awesome 1Password team.

Microsoft announced that the Chromium-based version of Edge will be officially launched in January.

Is there a possibility of an official (Microsoft addon store) 1Password and/or 1PasswordX release before then?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @zendnez ,
    Since the new Edge browser is Chromium based, the extensions in Chrome's webstore will work great on it. Actually, our latest 1Password 7 desktop app beta should already support the current Edge beta if I'm not mistaken, so feel free to give that a try.

1Password X should work regardless of beta or not :)

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Yaron and thanks for the quick response. I do use the Chrome webstore option for myself but it requires turning on allowing extensions from outside the store and I don't want to do that on my wife and kids' computers. Hoping for an official release. Thanks.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @zendnez ,
    I don't believe we will have a "native" extension in the Microsoft addons store. There's no sense in having another team of developers and customer support just for that, if there's a viable and great alternative that already works. However, things may change and we will just have to see how it goes once it is officially launched :)

• labaom
    labaom
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I can confirm that the Google Chrome Desktop Extension in Microsoft Edge (Chromium) Beta does not work. Only the X version works. The Desktop version never worked to begin with.

Can this be escalated as the browser release is imminent? This is the only thing preventing me from making the switch.

Thanks

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @labaom,
    You need the latest beta of the 1Password desktop app in order for it to work with the newest Chromium Edge I believe.
    Please try updating your app to the latest beta: https://support.1password.com/betas/

If it still doesn't work, give your computer a restart, then launch 1Password, then Edge and see if it works.

• labaom
    labaom
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Yaron.

When do you think the beta fix go into the stable release via the App Store? I really do not want to download any betas.

Thanks

• Hi @labaom,

New releases can happen at any time. We don't announce timelines or release plans generally speaking. I will say that our betas are tested internally before they are released into the wild, and they tend to be overall pretty stable, so I wouldn't be too concerned about installing beta software—we recognize that things still need to work for our users. :smile: That said, betas definitely aren't for everybody, so I'd recommend you keep an eye on the release notes.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7

Let us know if you have more questions.

Michael

• xlZeroAccesslx
    xlZeroAccesslx
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password desktop companion extension still doesn't work with Edge Beta on MacOS. I've tried on multiple computers too. 1Password X works. See the attached images, after I hit open, the 1Password app opens but Edge doesn't recognize it.

MacOS 10.15.1
    Edge Beta 79.0.309.40
    1Password 7 7.4.2.BETA-0

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xlZeroAccesslx: It sounds like you may still need to setup Edge for Native Messaging to work with the beta:

1. update to the latest beta of 1Password,
    2. install the latest Edge from Microsoft,
    3. follow the link to the Chrome web store listing for the companion 1Password desktop extension from our website,
    4. enable "Allow extensions from other stores" in Edge,
    5. clicked "Add to Chrome"
    6. quit Edge
    7. install Chrome
    8. using the Chrome Canary procedure as a guide, opened ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/ in Finder
    9. copy 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json
    10. open ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Beta/NativeMessagingHosts/ and paste 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json
    11. open Edge.

Let me know how it goes. :)

• xlZeroAccesslx
    xlZeroAccesslx
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

@brenty Copying 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json from Chrome to Edge worked! I use multiple profiles on Chrome and Edge to separate different accounts (E.g. Business, Personal), so it's easier to use the desktop companion extension vs the 1Password X extension. Do you think this is an isolated issue or a limitation of using the extension from the chrome store on Edge? For clarification, I didn't have this issue on Windows, just MacOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xlZeroAccesslx: Glad that helped! Edge just isn't doing that for you. Hopefully it will as it matures. :)

• xlZeroAccesslx
    xlZeroAccesslx
    Community Member
    Options

If you would like, I would be happy to report this to the Microsoft Edge development team so they can look into this issue and hopefully fix it before it generally available (GA) in January. Feel free to DM me. Thanks again @brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I suspect their priority is Windows, since they're ultimately building this to replace their last browser; but yeah it wouldn't hurt to make sure it's on their radar. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.