1Password appearts to be taking up over 18GB on my WIN7 system, but I can't find out where.

I've installed 1P on a Win7 IBM thinkpad, and my uninstaller 'sees' 18+gb as its footprint. When I try to locate logs or other items that are eating up the space, I can't locate any.

1Password Version: latest WIN7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIN7 64bit
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1P taking up 18gb on my win7 system.

Comments

• There's nothing taking up that much space, @geodifer. I'm not at all sure why this turns out to be the case, but I'm already aware of more than one installer app that claims 1Password is taking up in the area of 18GB and they are just plain wrong. One of them I've seen do it is CleanMyPC, and I think the other might have been RevoInstaller, but don't quote me on that last one. Everything 1Password-related will be located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password and you can check the Properties of that folder to see that it's footprint is fairly small.

I've had a range of theories as to why this might be happening, none of which really seem that likely to me, but I promise 1Password isn't taking that much space and Windows can confirm that for you. Not a requirement by any means, but I am super curious why uninstallers think this is the case, so if you decide to reach out to the support team for yours to ask about it, I'd love to hear what you find. It's been a mystery for some time and I'd be thrilled to see it solved.

• geodifer
    geodifer
    Community Member

Thanks - I agree. I confirmed this by completely uninstalling 1password and seeing how much space freed up. It was nothing close to the 18gb my Uninstaller estimated.
    Then I reinstalled, noted the footprint based on the total HD properties was small - and yet the Uninstaller estimated 18gb again!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @geodifer,

Do you happen to use CleanMyPC on your computer? We have seen a similar issue with it before, so it is possible that they show the used space incorrectly.

Let me know if my guess is correct here. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• geodifer
    geodifer
    Community Member

Revo Uninstaller is what gave the big miss- measure v

• Sounds like my memory was probably right, then, @geodifer. I thought the other report was about Revo, but I couldn't find the exact report so didn't want to be over-confident there. I'm sorry it's misleading you, but without knowing why Revo is thinking we're taking that much space, there's not a lot we can do other than back up your own findings that it's not correct. One thing I will mention is that I generally recommend staying away from uninstallers when uninstalling 1Password. They can sometimes be a bit over-aggressive and take your local data with them. Of course, sometimes that's the goal and it's okay, but it can stink when it's unexpected, so just something to keep in mind. And, of course, if you do reach out to Revo and get any feedback from them that indicates maybe we can help here, just let me know and I'd be happy to take a closer look. :chuffed:

• geodifer
    geodifer
    Community Member

Thanks. I in fact used Control Panel Uninstaller for my 1password uninstalling, as the website suggested, and had no loss of data. Thanks again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate and Greg, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.