2FA stopped working on Backblaze

Options

I had enabled 2FA for my backblaze account from Firefox on my MacBook Pro, which I have used to login successfully before today. This morning, the codes stopped working, forcing me to disable 2FA. I tried enabling and scanning the barcode via Firefox and Chrome, and neither work. Authy finally worked, and currently I have it enabled via the app. Could this be due to scanning the barcodes from macOS and using in Windows? From what I understand TOTP codes should be platform agnostic.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.17.0 (1Password X)
OS Version: Windows 10 1903
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:backblaze 2fa

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chin7an!

The very first thing that is worth checking is if the time is the same on all of your devices. 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected.

A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

After making sure the time is the same on every one of your devices, your authenticator codes should be accepted ;)

• chin7an
    chin7an
    Community Member
    Options

I checked the time on my two computers, and they're off by at most 6ms, which seems to be a pretty small difference. I added an OTP code for another website successfully today, but Backblaze still doesn't work. Could this be an issue with their servers? I can reach out to their support and check if it seems like the case.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chin7an – I just gave it a try with my own Backblaze account, and my TOTP filled as I'd expect with 1Password X 1.17.0. Just to make sure I'm following you correctly, did the TOTP fill but the code was invalid or did the TOTP not fill at all?

• chin7an
    chin7an
    Community Member
    Options

The extension fills in the code alright,it's just rejected by Backblaze. I tried adding it again, on macOS this time, and it worked. I'll try again from my Windows 10 PC to see if this is a Windows issue.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chin7an – Thanks so much for keeping me in the loop! I'm on macOS myself, so it'd be good to know if the issue exists on Windows.

• chin7an
    chin7an
    Community Member
    Options

I logged using the 2FA code on Windows and it worked this time. I'm not sure why it failed initially. Seems like it may have been a transient issue with Backblaze.

Thanks for the help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! And thank you for the update, I am glad to hear that things are working as expected once again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.