Error alert when entering wrong master password and no internet connection

Options
tompave
tompave
Community Member

Hello,

I've come across a cryptic error alert when I entered my master password wrong. I can consistently reproduce it by entering an incorrect master password when my mac doesn't have an internet connection.

I imagine that's a failure connecting to your servers (why?), and I though you might want to change the message to something a bit more descriptive.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tompave!

I imagine that's a failure connecting to your servers (why?)

May I ask what it is that makes you think this? I have just tried entering a wrong Master Password in my 1Password app when disconnected from the internet, and I did not get this error message, which suggests this is not the case.

Is the same thing happening after a reboot?

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, thank you for the reply.

May I ask what it is that makes you think this?

I read "domain" in the alert and I imagined it was a DNS/network thing. It looks like it's actually an Apple CloudKit error.

I have just tried entering a wrong Master Password in my 1Password app when disconnected from the internet, and I did not get this error message, which suggests this is not the case.

Could it be that it's because I'm syncing via iCloud?

Is the same thing happening after a reboot?

Yup.

Anyway, it's not really an issue. 1Password works.
    As I said, I've reported this mainly because I thought you'd want to change the copy in that alert.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tompave:

We can certainly take a closer look for you and see why this is happening on your device. I would like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• tompave
    tompave
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks.

I'm not sure it's specific to my device or setup, as I could reproduce it on a friend's machine with 1Password7 and an iCloud-synced vault.

I've generated a diagnostics report, but I've noticed that in includes a wealth of info about my system, and since I'm not really having a problem I do not wish to share it.

Again, I've posted this because I wanted to help you fix an alert that would confuse users who're not technically-savvy, but I don't require support with this. My 1Password installation works.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tompave:

Thank you for the update. I certainly understand, deciding not to send a diagnostics report is definitely your prerogative.

For anyone else stumbling upon this discussion in the future, I recommend reading our diagnostics report support page, which explains what is included in a report, and specifically that no secret information is included there, exactly so we can help troubleshooting issues.

This discussion has been closed.