Google Authenticator - Possible to transfer accounts to new iPhone?

Options
Aguirre
Aguirre
Community Member

Hi there - I have a dead iPhone with Google Authenticator on it and also 1Password for iOS (latest).
This is all backed up to a desktop with 1password.

Is there any way to transfer the saved Google Authenticator accounts to a new iPhone?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Aguirre!

Is there any way to transfer the saved Google Authenticator accounts to a new iPhone?

This might be a question more suited to Google support, but my understanding is that there isn't a built-in backup function in Google Authenticator, unlike some other 2FA apps. However, there are several guides online with steps on how to transfer Google Authenticator to a new device, so I recommend starting from those.

• Aguirre
    Aguirre
    Community Member
    Options

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I am aware of all the limitations on backing up with Google Authenticator and the standard ways of dealing with these limitations.
    This is not my question.

My inquiry is that since 1Password possesses all the Google Authenticator accounts within itself and can and is providing valid authenticator codes, is there not some way to transfer these valid and working GA accounts from 1password to another device?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Aguirre:

Does Google Authenticator allow you to activate 2FA for a website using a 2FA secret instead of a QR code? If so, you can certainly do it with 1Password. Just click on the Edit button in the 1Password item that contains the authenticator secret, and you will find it there in the QR code entry of your 1Password item.

It will look similar to this: otpauth://totp/Website:username?secret=ABCDEFG123456

However, if you go this way, you will have to manually reconfigure each entry in your Google Authenticator app, since it does not allow you to restore data. But since you want to do it through 1Password instead of Google Authenticator, this allows you to do it.

• Aguirre
    Aguirre
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.