1Passwor X not working on specific website

Partlan
Partlan
Community Member
edited December 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I tried to use my login information on this website (German): https://www.tk.de/service/login/techniker/meine-tk-2000008

Unfortunately 1PasswordX is not working on this site, since I can't see any icon inside the username/password field.
Therefor I click on the 1PasswordX icon in the menu bar in my Google Chrome browser (current version) and the right login appears. I click on the fill button. Again it does not work as it should.

Explanation: The entry contains a user name, a number, and a password. Additionally I saved my email address in this entry, so I always remember what email address is connected to this account. But I saved it as an extra field, not as the user name.

As I said, if I click on "fill", instead of the number (the user name), the email address is entered in this field and the correct password. The expected behavior would be entering the user name (which is the number in this case) and the correct password.

Could you please tell me if I did sth wrong? Otherwise I would like to report this behavior as one/two bugs. :)

Kind regards
Kristoffer

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.17
OS Version: Windows 10 with Chrome
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Hey @Partlan! Thanks for getting this on our radar. I do have a quick suggestion that should mend the majority of the issue. Instead of inserting your email address as an additional field, you could include it in the notes section of the Login item. If you put it there, 1Password won't try to fill it for you.

With a little bit of hand holding, I was able to get an item filling properly. What I'll do is give you my item to download, then you can edit it to reflect your real account credentials. You do need the 1Password for Windows desktop app to be able to edit that info. Here are the steps to do so:

1. Click here to download the 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file to your Desktop.
    2. In 1Password for Windows, select the menu option 1Password > Import, select the 1Password Interchange Format (1PIF) option and follow the prompts.
    3. Locate the imported Login item, it will be titled TK and will have a tag with the import date. Enter edit mode.
    4. Click the Web form details button to reveal the fields.
    5. Replace the placeholder values of each field with your real details and save.

After that, go ahead and try filling with the new item and let me know how it goes.

• Partlan
    Partlan
    Community Member

Hey @kaitlyn. Thanks for your help! Is there a reason why it is working like this? I always though that 1Password enters the information in the fields username and password. So if I want to include any additional information, I should put it in the notes field? But why are there several other fields and even sections I could use?

Thanks for your test file. It does indeed work almost as it should. :) The 1Password icons does not appear in the username field but in the password field and that's definitely better than before.

Thanks again and I wish you a great weekend.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Partlan – No problem at all! I'm happy to help. :)

Is there a reason why it is working like this? I always though that 1Password enters the information in the fields username and password. So if I want to include any additional information, I should put it in the notes field? But why are there several other fields and even sections I could use?

1Password has the ability to fill much more than only usernames and passwords. The additional sections can be used for a number of things, but filling is definitely one of them. We can take AA.com as an example. On that website, you need to fill a username, password, and your last name to sign in. We've built 1Password with that in mind, so you have the option of adding in additional fields. Below is a screenshot of my AA.com item – I've added in an additional field called "last name" to ensure the last name field is filled properly.

If you want to include additional information that should not be filled, I'd put it in the notes section to be safe. An email is a special case that I'd personally always add to the notes section unless I expect it to be filled. That's because I know there can be random email fields on websites that my email would potentially be filled into (like signing up for a newsletter, for example). Keep in mind that you can also include markdown in the Notes section of 1Password items.

Here's an example of how I'd save an item for AA.com:

The last name field is something I do want filled, so it's saved as an additional field/section. However, my email address is something I don't want filled, so I added it as a heading inside the Notes section of the item.

I hope that clears things up a bit. I'll be here in case you think of any other questions!

• Partlan
    Partlan
    Community Member

@kaitlyn: Thank you so much, now I get it.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

No problem at all, @Partlan! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.