To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Endless Secret Key Loop. Yes, another one.

Options
JN1
JN1
Community Member
edited December 2019 in Memberships

I've been a 1 Password user since version 2 or 3 and it was always so hassle-free. Then a year or 2 ago, I was having issues with my account. Was I logged in? Who knows. Was the problem coming from the desktop/mobile/browser? Who can tell. So I stopped updating. It was causing me more anguish that I needed. Recently, I thought MAYBE AgileBits has worked through the worst of the updates and it might be safe for me to try again.

After a week of just trying to install and update I'm feeling it may never be simple again.

I'm sure I am having multiple issues but today, my headache is the log-in with Secret Key loop. To FIND your secret key, you must log-in. To log-in, you must provide your secret key! fine print on the bottom says something like, individual accounts may not even HAVE a secret key. Log-in to find out! But first, provide your secret key.

Do I log in with the email I've used on this site for 7-8 years? Or the one used last month when I tried to join up again? Have I paid for a subscription or am I in free-trial mode? Log in to see account details! Log in using the browser you logged in with to see details of your account. But provide your secret key first!

Would deleting all previous profiles and accounts allow me to sign in and start over from scratch? Most online stores do not allow for that because "your email/payment method is associated with another account. Log-in to continue"

I'm thinking of going back to the post-it note with log-ins stuck under the keyboard method. At least I knew how to access my stuff.

I've notice a lot of forum topics on this very same issue and it seems if the member asks for email support, you will not provide an answer in these forums. This is very frustrating for the other members with the same questions. So, for the record, I am NOT asking you about this via email in hopes that others can learn the secret formula for getting through this problem.

1Password Version: I have no idea anymore
Extension Version: Stopped working I think
OS Version: OS X 10.15
Sync Type: Kitchen

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Not an Agilebits employee.

My understanding is that the only users with a secret key (using the word user here rather than account to disambiguate from a 1Password account) are ones who have either paid for a 1Password subscription or have a free trial pending a potential payment when the 30 days is up.

Did you ever pay Agilebits on a recurring basis, or did you just purchase licenses when new versions came out?

You cannot login to 1Password web (my.1password.com) without a secret key, and that secret key needs to be saved at least once, otherwise you end up with the bootstrapping problem you're running into. I haven't used release licensed versions so I can't speak to what specifically that looks like, I'm assuming it may tie to your email which would be the reference to your email used for 7-8 years.

If I had to guess, you were purchasing new licenses, and then started a free trial of a 1Password subscription (which until you import any potential local vaults has nothing to do with the release licensed versions) and that's where you're running into trouble.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

plttn is spot on. Without a subscription membership you wouldn't have an account, and as such you wouldn't have a Secret Key. You also wouldn't be able to login on my.1password.com. You can sign up for a membership, which will give you a Secret Key, here:

1Password — Password Manager for Teams, Businesses, and Families

The reason we sometimes move these conversations to email is so we can verify if someone does have a membership or not. That isn't something we can do in this public forum. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• JN1
    JN1
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I signed up for a free trial.

I received this a week or two ago. I am trying to use it to create a new account or find the status of my trial account (if that is what I have) but log-in screen doesn't like the Master Password I am using. The password I was using to open the app for years is not what it is looking for.

So, should I forget all about my previous life with 1Password and start over from scratch? I'm not worried about porting over all 200 or so entries from my vault as most of them are obsolete these days and it would not be a bad idea to cull them out of my life anyway.

Believe me, it is easy to be frustrated with all of this but I am seriously trying to make this work. I cannot recommend it to my luddite wife after years of trying to get her to use this app if I cannot verify for myself what the status is on my account.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Trying to avoid stepping on Ben's toes here.

So it looks like you started a 1Password membership (potentially paid, potentially not) ~10 days ago. Can you still access your passwords from your vault in any client of yours? If you truly don't know the master password that goes with that emergency kit, you can delete that 1Password membership (deleting anything in that account, but seeing as you don't even know the master password, I'm going to guess there's nothing in there) using this forum post as a guide: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/100724/faq-im-locked-out-of-my-account-membership-need-to-start-over.

The password to that account is not necessarily the master password you have on your vault(s). Assuming you have access to your vault(s) that existed prior to a 1Password membership and a fresh 1Password membership that you have access to (so not the one shown in this emergency kit, this would be after performing the steps linked 1 paragraph above), you can then migrate your data into that 1Password membership following this guide: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

If you never subscribed (as in giving Agilebits money), you would have never received an email that looks something like this:

If you didn't receive an email similar to that one, then the only thing you've got is the trial membership, and if you have access to all your password data, you should be able to delete that membership, create a new membership, and then use the "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" documentation to get your old data into your 1Password account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JN1 - I'm sorry for the trouble. The best way to assess this is going to be for you to use a browser and attempt signing in at https://my.1password.com with your chosen email and Secret Key from the above Emergency Kit, as well as your Master Password. If you cannot sign in there, then unless this is a 1Password Families account and there is another Family Organizer in the account who can help you recover your account, any data there will be lost.

Having said that, if you did this recently (as the screenshot of the Emergency Kit you posted would seem to indicate) then it's like you still have standalone backups of your previous 1Password data that could be restored. But before we go down that road, can you please try signing in via a browser as I mentioned? When you created that 1Password account on (according to your screenshot) 11/29/2019, you would have been asked to provide a Master Password -- this could have been but would not necessarily have to be the same as any current Master Password you'd been using for standalone 1Password. We generally recommend users keep the same Master Password assuming it's strong and they don't have reason to believe it's been compromised, because it's just easier to remember one Master Password than trying to re-train yourself to remember a different strong password. But only you would know what you chose on that date. Let me know what you discover. As Ben alluded to earlier, we'll likely want to take this conversation to private email if you can't sign in, for your privacy and security. Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.