Personal vs Shared vaults in family plan

clstokes
clstokes
Community Member

I just switched from a single plan to a family plan and added my husband. Now my account is showing 2 vaults, Personal and Shared. We'd like to have 3 vaults total - My Personal, His Personal, and Shared.

1. I'd like to change the name of the current vault named Personal so it's clear to both of us it's my personal not his personal once he logs in, but I can't find anywhere to do so.
  2. Also, can you confirm he can have his own separate Personal Vault too, and name it what he wants.
    Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @clstokes

I'd be happy to help with that. When you invite someone to join your membership they create their own account with their own credentials. Is that how your husband is currently set up, or is he logging into your account using your credentials? If he is using your account, we need to change that, in order to accomplish what you're asking for. You can learn about how to invite him to create his own account here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

When he does so he will get his own Personal vault, and will not be able to see yours. Likewise, you will not be able to see his. You'd each see your respective Personal vaults, and also the built-in Shared vault. If you'd like to create additional vaults that can be shared the above guide also goes over how to do that.

The Personal vault cannot be renamed or shared. It is always called Personal, and is visible only to the person it is associated with.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• clstokes
    clstokes
    Community Member

Ah, I see. My husband will create his own account with his own credentials.

To be sure I understand: each of us gets a Personal Vault and it's only seen by logging in with one's own credentials. Therefore I don't rename it (and can't) because no one else can see it anyway when logged in with their own credentials. And then the default Shared Vault is seen by both of us and can be edited by both. And we can create additional Shared vaults (named something else, presumably) that we can also both see.

Regarding credentials, I assume his master password will be different from mine. Will the secret key be the same - one for the whole family plan - or will he have a separate one?

Thanks!

• @clstokes

Ah, I see. My husband will create his own account with his own credentials.

Great! :)

To be sure I understand: each of us gets a Personal Vault and it's only seen by logging in with one's own credentials. Therefore I don't rename it (and can't) because no one else can see it anyway when logged in with their own credentials. And then the default Shared Vault is seen by both of us and can be edited by both. And we can create additional Shared vaults (named something else, presumably) that we can also both see.

That is all correct. :+1:

Regarding credentials, I assume his master password will be different from mine. Will the secret key be the same - one for the whole family plan - or will he have a separate one?

He'll get to pick his own Master Password. He could choose to have it be the same one you're using, if you've shared that information with him, but that would seem to defeat some of the purpose. The Secret Key is per-account, rather than per-membership, so his Secret Key will be unique from yours. I'd recommend that each of you print copies of your Emergency Kit and keep them in a safe place, so as to avoid losing the Secret Key:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

You may also want to consider making your husband a Family Organizer, so that you can both help each other if either of you forget your Master Passwords:

About family organizers in 1Password Families

Ben

• clstokes
    clstokes
    Community Member

Ok, he's in, and I made him a Family Organizer too. Thanks for all the start-up advice.

• You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I'm just converting from 1Password6.8.9 to 1P7 Family plan. On 1Password6, by default, everything was shared by everybody. How do I make 1P7 do that, in other words everything is shared by everybody?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@paulbartell:

If you want to share everything in a Families account, the easiest way is to use the built-in Shared vault ;)

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member

Thanks for that. Got it.

So right now I have...

• "Private" with nothing in it,
    • "Shared" with everything in it
    • and, "Primary" in iCloud with everything in it.

I'm thinking that Primary is a legacy thing that I will need until I have all my devices and family members switched over to 1Password7? Am I correct in thinking that once everyone's converted to using the Shared and Private vaults, that I can delete the Primary vault?... Since I won't need it or iCloud at all, for 1Password purposes?

• Hi @paulbartell

That all sounds correct, yes. :) You can find instructions for deleting the Primary vault (needs to be done on each device) here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices (if step 1 has already been completed you can skip it)

I'd recommend everyone have a printed copy of their unique Emergency Kit and verify that they can log in at https://my.1password.com/ before removing it. Once removed the 1Password apps will unlock with the Master Password used at my.1password.com, which may be different than the password for the Primary vault. When a Primary vault exists, it is the password for that vault that unlocks 1Password.

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

As mentioned above I would also recommend establishing multiple Family Organizers, so that if one organizer forgets their credentials another can help them out. This is not a function that we (1Password) can perform for you - only a Family Organizer on the membership can assist with Master Password recovery.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.