Chrome extension has stopped working

elnjensenelnjensen Junior Member
edited October 2011 in 1Password 3 – 6 for Mac
I've been using 1Password with Chrome for a while, and it was working well at first, but recently it has stopped working entirely.

I've updated to the latest version of 1Password (3.8.10 build 31186).

I've tried the latest versions of both the beta extension and the non-beta extension.

I'm running the latest version of Chrome (15.0.874.106).

When I click on the 1Password extension icon in the toolbar, or use the keyboard shortcut, nothing happens.

Any help is appreciated - this is very frustrating. (For reference, I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8; and the 1Password extension works fine in Firefox.)

UPDATE - if I unlock my 1Password keychain separately using the standalone application before launching my browser, then the Chrome extension works OK; it will pop up the dialog box and let me choose the right login. But once the keychain is locked within a given browser session, then I get the unresponsive behavior described above; can't even get a dialog to try to unlock it from within the browser, and re-unlocking it from the application doesn't help.

Comments

  • PeterooPeteroo Junior Member
    I have a variation of this. At a login web page I hit command backslash on mt Mac and the 1Password "safe" comes up, but the entire page is locked. I can't type my password into the 1Password icon. I have to force quit chrome and start again.

    Mac OSX 10.7.2 and all the latest 1 Password and chrome apps and extensions.
  • Peteroo wrote:

    I have a variation of this. At a login web page I hit command backslash on mt Mac and the 1Password "safe" comes up, but the entire page is locked. I can't type my password into the 1Password icon. I have to force quit chrome and start again.

    Mac OSX 10.7.2 and all the latest 1 Password and chrome apps and extensions.


    I also have the same problem as above. The browser just locks up. Same system / versions.
  • khadkhad Social Choreographer

    Team Member
    You certainly shouldn't have to relaunch Chrome at all or continually reinstall the extension to get this to work. We're still trying to narrow this down, but the solution that has been reported to work in all cases with similar symptoms is starting with a new Chrome profile:

    http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/how-to-create-a-new-google-chrome-profile
This discussion has been closed.