iPhone 11 Pro Max and I cannot open my 1Password (free version) it will not accept my Master Passwor

LuRu
LuRu
Community Member

Hi, I just purchased a new iPhone 11 Pro Max and I cannot open my 1Password (free version) it will not accept my Master Password. When I type it in it gives me the error message "Secret Key Invalid". I did not type in the Secret Key but my Master Password key, however it keeps telling me "Secret Key Invalid". Also 1Password does not give me the Face ID option for me to unlock the app. 1Password still works on my iPad but only because I can unlock it with my Touch ID. How can I unlock my 1 Password on my new Pro Max?

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:iphone 11 Pro Max does not accept Master Passwort

Comments

• LuRu
    LuRu
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Hi, I just purchased a new iPhone 11 Pro Max and I cannot open my 1Password (free version) it will not accept my Master Password. When I type - it in it gives me the error message "Secret Key Invalid". I did not type in the Secret Key but my Master Password key, however it keeps telling me "Secret Key Invalid". Also 1Password does not give me the Face ID option for me to unlock the app. 1Password still works on my iPad but only because I can unlock it with my Touch ID. How can I unlock my 1 Password on my new Pro Max?

• LuRu
    LuRu
    Community Member

Hi, I just purchased a new iPhone 11 Pro Max and I cannot open my 1Password (free version) it will not accept my Master Password. When I type - it in it gives me the error message "Secret Key Invalid". I did not type in the Secret Key but my Master Password key, however it keeps telling me "Secret Key Invalid". Also 1Password does not give me the Face ID option for me to unlock the app. 1Password still works on my iPad but only because I can unlock it with my Touch ID. How can I unlock my 1 Password on my new Pro Max?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Hi @LuRu!

When I type it in it gives me the error message "Secret Key Invalid". I did not type in the Secret Key but my Master Password key,

Just to make sure I haven't misunderstood your question: are you entering your Master Password in the Secret Key field? If so, that would explain why you are seeing the Secret Key invalid message, since you are not entering the correct Secret Key, you are entering your Master Password there.

Where is your data currently stored?

(I have also merged your two posts in one single discussions, since I see you posted the same thing in multiple places, so we can keep all replies in one place).

• LuRu
    LuRu
    Community Member

Hi
    No I type my Master Password in the Master Password section but when I hit sign in it gives me the error message "Secret Key Invalid" even though I did not type my Master Password in the Secret Key section. I have made sure that I am in the correct area when I type in my Master Password. I do not have a Secret Key since I only have the free version of 1P
    I have currently everything stored in the cloud.
    I have deleted the app from my new phone a few times and then re-downloaded but it still does not accept my Master Password.

Thank you for merging the two posts.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: transfer data from touch unlock iphone 6s+ to new iphone 11 pro max.
  • Hi @LuRu

You have referenced a 'free version' a few times, but I'm not sure what you're referring to with that. While the 1Password app is freely downloadable, to use it you either need a 1Password membership subscription or a license for one of the desktop products (1Password for Windows or 1Password for Mac).

It sounds like the problem is that you're selecting the 1Password.com option from the welcome screen. That is the only place you'd be seeing a request for a Secret Key. Without a subscription membership you wouldn't have a 1Password.com account, or a Secret Key. Instead you'd need to scroll down on the welcome screen and select the sync service that you've been using with 1Password (Dropbox or iCloud).

You will need your Master Password in order to sync with your existing vault. If you do not know your Master Password, but still have access to your data via Touch ID, I'd recommend signing up for a 1Password membership trial and transferring your data there. This will be possible with only Touch ID access, and will allow you to establish a new Master Password. We have a guide that explains that process here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once your data is safely in a trial membership account, and you've established a new Master Password, you can move forward from there. To continue to use the membership after the trial period you would need to establish a subscription. As mentioned above, we don't offer a 'free' version.

I hope that helps! Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• LuRu
    LuRu
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    With the "free version" I meant by it that I do not have a membership subscription.
    Thank you for the step by step info. You are correct. I was selecting 1Password.com instead of icloud. Ugh now that you said/showed me that it seems logical.
    I was able to retrieve all my info. Thank you for your help.

• I'm very glad to hear that worked out, @LuRu. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.