Autofill when Port Specified for Local Hostname

Options

Autofill fails for me when visiting a local hostname with a port specified (e.g. on https://hostname.local:8132) with the latest Firefox on macOS Catalina (port is specified as part of the website address for the login item). When I open the 1Password extension pop-up the appropriate login just doesn't show up. Autofill works in the same situation when using Firefox on Windows 10. How can I get the login to fill? I have a couple different local servers running off that machine, which are distinguished by different port numbers, so I'd like to leave in the port number if possible.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Andrew Baldwin!

When I open the 1Password extension pop-up the appropriate login just doesn't show up.

So the problem happens even before autofill I see. When you visit your local website and click on the 1Password browser extension, what is the dropdown menu there currently set to?

• AndrewBaldwin
    AndrewBaldwin
    Community Member
    Options

When I click on the 1Password browser extension I see "Suggestions - hostname.local" and "Generate Password" at the top, one password I have associated with hostname.local (no port number with that password), and my credit card autofills.

• cecelia
    edited December 2019
    Options

@AndrewBaldwin wow that sounds super frustrating. HTTP auth filling is a difficult task but your credit card shouldn't be filling there. I'm not sure how that even happens, so I hope it's alright if I ask some questions to make sure we're on the same page. First, to clarify, is this what's happening?:

1. You navigate to a local site & a login form appears.
    2. You click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and you're shown "Suggestions."
    3. "Suggestions" include one Password type item but the rest of your local hostname Login items are not suggested.
    4. Your credit card fills.

I've got some questions to help me understand the steps above:

1. Is the login form we're having trouble filling in a modal/pop-up?
    2. Is your Credit Card item included in the Suggestions, and when you click on it, it autofills? (if not, can you clarify this?)
    3. Do all of your local website Login items include the correct domain in the "website" portion of the item?
    4. If you start typing hostname into the extension's search bar, do all the related Login items appear in the item list?
  • AndrewBaldwin
    AndrewBaldwin
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies, I meant for "autofills" to be a noun, but I realize now that's not at all clear from my previous post. When I click on the extension button I see "Suggestions - hostname.local" and "Generate Password" at the top, one password item I have associated with hostname.local (no port number with that password), and my credit cards. No autofill of any sort occurs. I have a login item associated with that local website (but with a specific port as part of the website field, e.g. hostname.local:8132) that I'd like to autofill and (less importantly) show up as a suggested item, but it doesn't do either.

Regarding your questions:

1. The login form is not a modal/pop-up. It appears to be a fairly standard login form on a webpage, but I haven't looked into what's going on behind the scenes. Autofill does work as desired on this webpage when I enact it on my Windows 10 PC.
    2. This is correct (although I wasn't clicking on any credit card items or having them autofill, just using unclear terminology in my post; sorry!).
    3. Double checked, yes.
    4. Yes, if I start typing in the domain it shows all items associated with the domain, including the login item I'm hoping would autofill.

Thank you for looking in to this!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @AndrewBaldwin , thanks for the additional info.

From what I gather, there are two issues at hand here:
    1. The correct login is not being suggested automatically in the list when you call 1Password.
    2. When you manually select that login after finding it, it does not autofill.
    However, both issues do not exist on Windows, only in Mac OS. Is that correct?

If so, I'd like you to try and manually create a new login on your Mac for that specific webpage using this method: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/
    Then see if that new login is being suggested and if it autofills when you select it. If still no luck, can you please remove the port number from the URL and see if that changes things?

• AndrewBaldwin
    AndrewBaldwin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help!

I had not tried 2 (manually selecting the login after finding it); was instead just copy/paste-ing the password to log in. Having tried 2, all that appears when I select the login is a "Go" button (where I believe Autofill would normally be), which opens a new tab with the same website in it (but does not fill in the login). I would assume that 2 does not happen on Windows 10 since using the keyboard shortcut for autofilling worked, but I have not tried it specifically.

If I follow the method in the webpage you provided, then it creates the same login without the port number. That login works for autofilling on the website, but it does not work for the "open and fill" action; it tries to open the website without the correct port number, which gets it nothing. I can't remove the port number from the URL since my browser wouldn't know how to get to the website without it (the website is not being served on the standard http/https ports).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @AndrewBaldwin ,
    Thanks for the additional info. I think I have another suggestion that might work:
    1. Open the 1Password 7 desktop app on your Mac.
    2. Find the login for this website and click on "Edit".
    3. Find the "website" field (under the username and password) and change it to the URL with the port.
    4. Add another "website" field under it and put in the URL without the port.
    5. Click on "Save and close 1Password, then open your browser and see if both open & fill and regular autofilling is working.

• AndrewBaldwin
    AndrewBaldwin
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the delay. I was able to test out your suggestion and it gets pretty much everything working (the open and fill functionality doesn't load the correct website, but maybe that'd be fixed if I reordered the websites in the login? I essentially never use that feature, so I'm not looking to fix its operation). Thank you for your help!

• On behalf of Yaron, you're most welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please reach out again. We're always here to help.

This discussion has been closed.