Change iCloud vault password

IanGrey
IanGrey
Community Member

Hi,

I'd like to change the password of my vault synced through iCloud. This seems to have become impossible with the update to 1Password 7.

With the old system, I would do this by

• turning off sync (and clearing all iCloud data)
  • resetting 1Password on all devices but one
  • changing the master password there
  • restart sync

With 1Password 7 this seems no longer be possible, as I can't get rid of the 1password.com vaults. (I do trust 1password.com less than iCloud for two reasons: 1Password itself is a more likely attack target for generic attacks, and it provides decrypted web access to encrypted data, which is an ultimative no-go)

The question now is: how do I change the password of my iCloud vault?

Thanks,

Ian

1Password Version: 4.7.1 Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @IanGrey! Sorry for the trouble. If you have at least one standalone vault and a 1Password account, you'll want these instructions to change your Master Password. The Master Password that unlocks your local app varies depending on what vaults/accounts combination you have:

• If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

Since it sounds as if you have at least a Primary vault (synced via iCloud), please use the above-linked instructions to change your Master Password, and remember - this didn't have to be (but could be) the same Master Password as what you used when you signed up for a 1Password account.

1Password itself is a more likely attack target for generic attacks.

That's why for 1Password accounts, we created the Secret Key, which is an unguessable 128-bit-equivalent secret which must be presented along with your chosen Master Password for the account if someone tries to access (or is successful in stealing) your encrypted data from our servers. Neither your Master Password nor your Secret Key are ever sent to us in any form, due to our use of Secure Remote Password, so someone attacking our servers can't discover either your Master Password or your Secret Key.

This discussion has been closed.