Clicking on Autofill causes 1Password mini to open instead

More and more frequently, on a website login page, I click on the 1Password browser extension and then the blue Autofill button. But instead of populating the username/password fields, clicking on Autofill opens 1Password mini instead, with the items in Favorites at the top of the list. In one case today, where the username and passwords were on separate web pages, Autofill worked with the username but mini appeared when trying to autofill the password. I believe I've seen this behavior in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, though I tend to use Chrome most often. But today, I noticed some interesting behavior: for the same Citibank login page ( https://online.citi.com/US/login.do ), Autofill brought up 1Password mini in Chrome 78.0.3904.108, but Autofill populated the User ID and Password fields in Firefox 71.0. So could it be an issue with the browser itself? The 1Password extension/add-on/plugin for that browser?

By the way, I tried creating a new 1Password login item from scratch in Chrome. I cleared the browser cache (etc.), went to the Citibank login page, copied and pasted User ID and password, brought up the 1Password browser extension, and clicked on the gear to save a new login. But when I cleared the cache and reloaded the page and tried to Autofill from 1Password browser extension, I saw that instead of the password, just one lowercase "a" was in the password field. (There were no quotes around the "a" in the password field.) Same thing in the 1Password desktop app. And I just tested this in Firefox, and got the same results: the 1Password item had just an "a" in the password field. This is new behavior: certainly since the last time I created a Citibank login (which 1Password says was in January 2019).

I knew I was going to be upgrading to a clean (and different) version of macOS, so I held off reporting this issue until I did. But I'm seeing the same behavior on the clean system, too.

Any idea what could be causing this?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401002)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (Chrome & Firefox)
OS Version: 10.15.1 (19B2106)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• aranous
    aranous
    Community Member

This is been happening to me as well, and seems to be getting worse. I would say almost half the sites I try to autofill fail in this manner. It's getting to the point I'm considering trying competing password managers since I routinely have to manually copy past passwords several times a day.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @billj ,
    This is currently a known issue with recent versions of 1Password that mainly affects Chrome, but can also occur in Firefox sometimes. The issue is intermittent and repeated tries to autofill will eventually work. There are a couple of workarounds you can utilize until we get this fixed:

I hope these suggestions will make your workflow easier until we release a fix :)
    @aranous , the drag and drop method could greatly benefit you too, please try it and see if it works better.

We're terribly sorry for the inconvenience and our devs are working on a fix as we speak.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019

As you might imagine we're all 1Password users here as well, and so we feel the pain of this problem as much as anyone else. We understand the difficulty it causes and have every intention of resolving the issue as soon as possible. In the meantime, I've switched to using the 1Password X browser extension instead of the 1Password extension (desktop app required) extension. That may be a workaround to consider.

1Password X

Ben

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, you would need the companion extension to use it with a local vault. 1Password X can still be a workaround for any vaults stored on 1Password.com while we get to the bottom of this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• artem_gordinsky
    artem_gordinsky
    Community Member

Is there any work being done on the "legacy" Chrome extension regarding this? 1Password X is a pretty big UX downgrade for me so that's not really a good option...

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

I'm having similar problems - thought it was just me since I just updated to 1PW7 - mini opens each time but then instead of opening and filling as it used to, I often have to click on the open and fill- I have this in FF and Safari also.....have posted some of probably related issue in this forum on Families too....

• Hi folks,

Many of us use the desktop app extension, so we feel your pain. We want the issue resolved as much if not more than you do. Our development team is working on it, and hopefully we will have more to share soon.

Ben

• aranous
    aranous
    Community Member

Well, if you come up with a fix and need a beta tester, I'm happy to volunteer.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for offering!
    We would like some broader tests results with an earlier version of 1Password and see if the issue indeed did not exist at all there, if you'd like to try it.
    Please note, we do not recommend downgrading in any way or form, but it might be useful to hear how the issue is affected in the normal environments of our users with a previous version. If you'd like to try, please install 1Password 7.3 and let us know your findings.

• aalberto
    aalberto
    Community Member

Had that problem for months now, and 1Password X was not a solution for me as I have my personal vault on dropbox while my company vault is using teams.

So far so good with 1Password 7.3, I'll report if the issue pops up again but ... yeah, not going to update until we have confirmation this is fixed in the new version.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for testing, @aalberto .
    Please do keep us posted if the issue shows up again in that version, and do stay up to date with us here so you'll know when the issue is fixed and you can get back to the most recent version!

• aalberto
    aalberto
    Community Member

@Yaron do you know if that issue got fixed? Still on 7.3, still works well but just thought I'd check.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @aalberto ,
    Thanks for checking in.

We have a temporary fix in our beta extension which does a pretty good job on this matter, so feel free to install and test it after upgrading your 1Password app.

This discussion has been closed.