Unlocking 1Password for Mac

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Mac

Just a question. Has there been any thought given to using the Apple Watch to unlock 1Password on a Mac? I’ve been spoiled using Face ID on my iPhone and iPad to unlock 1Password so typing a long password on my iMac is very 2018.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi bjs6,

Unfortunately, the API's to do this are not available. If that changes in the future, we will let you know. It certainly would be a cool feature.

• BBabaa
    BBabaa
    Community Member

I too wish there were a way to NEVER have to type in my 1Password "password" to unlock my App. There just is not a need for all this security in our home office.

Does your development team have a mechanism available to them and/or ever have occasion to request from Apple that they consider adding certain functionality as this to there API's, or are you just subject to what they provide and have no ability to influence?

I am just curious, because if there is even any hope of a feature like this...

• luke1970
    luke1970
    Community Member

macOS Catalina support Apple Watch to confirm dialogs.
    It's possible to use 1Password this way for unlock?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@BBabaa:

Apple has the final word on what gets implemented or removed from their operating system. You can submit your feedback to them for consideration however.

I too wish there were a way to NEVER have to type in my 1Password "password" to unlock my App. There just is not a need for all this security in our home office.

Not prompting to enter your Master Password would mean that the Master Password needs to be stored somewhere on your device, and this is something that we believe would cause more problems than it would solve.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@luke1970:

One of our developers commented on the feature here. In this other discussion we also commented on the fact that this is currently an operating system feature, and therefore not available to third-party apps.

• luke1970
    luke1970
    Community Member

Btw: german banking app "Outbank" uses Apple Watch to unlock program.
    Come on, 1Password can do this also.

• @luke1970

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. :) There have been some recent developments with the Unlock with Apple Watch feature. Maybe that is something we'll be able to evaluate further in the future, but it isn't something we can put on our plate right at the moment.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.