1Password exporting and 2FA?

Mandalorian
Mandalorian
Community Member
edited November 2019 in Lounge

Hi,

So I have to use Vivaldi browser for work. And 1Password extension is a bit buggy with it (not blaming 1Password, I know it's not in a list of supported browsers). However when browser+extension bugged out for me today, I had to re-login using my secret key and 2FA auth (the app is on my phone), and it made me wonder more about security (e.g. cases when I can't login again, e.g. I lost my phone with 1Password's 2FA authenticator app on it).

For that situation, I have Chrome with 1Password extensions on it, and I also have 1Password Mac app, so that means I will still be able to export my 1Password data. And I still have my secret token data (but I can't log in on new devices anymore if my phone is lost, cause no more 2FA auth for 1Password, right?). So what I am curious about is what happens when someone is somehow unable to login to new device and all they have is their current client, but no way to add a new device. For that case I can still export my data (in 1Password or CSV format), then "nuke"/"erase" my account and start all over again and import the data, BUT my question is: do 2FA settings (let's say I use 2FA setting for gmail or whatever) get exported/imported too? I mean, these one-time passwords for Gmail that 1Password generates for me. Do they get exported too? And if not, how do I go about re-attaching my new 1Password account to this Gmail account 2FA again?

Hope it's not too confusing,

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mandalorian: First, if you're having trouble using 1Password with Vivaldi, please let us know the specifics. It's possible something's changed there, but it should work.

Regarding your questions, I'm not really following your reasoning. Why would you need to export everything from 1Password just because you lost your phone? With a 1Password membership account, even if all of your devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, you could still get your 1Password data back by signing into your account. If you don't already have a membership, you can easily get one. And even without, you just need to make the necessary backup and emergency arrangements to make sure that you don't ever lose access to important stuff permanently. I don't know why you're talking about "nuking" anything at all, but let me know if there's something I'm missing. :)

• Mandalorian
    Mandalorian
    Community Member

@brenty So if a person completely loses their secret key (not master password, the secret key), how can they add new devices? From what I was reading, they can't, and they need to do a full reset of 1Password - therefore they will need to export and import their data, right? And in that case I was wondering what happens to 2FA settings for each of these passwords saved in 1P. Thanks! :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019

@Mandalorian

So if a person completely loses their secret key (not master password, the secret key), how can they add new devices? From what I was reading, they can't, and they need to do a full reset of 1Password - therefore they will need to export and import their data, right?

If you're in a position to export your data it would seem you're also in a position to obtain your Secret Key. You should have a Login item for 1Password.com in 1Password, which will contain your Secret Key. To avoid this difficulty in the future we recommend printing a hard copy of your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

And in that case I was wondering what happens to 2FA settings for each of these passwords saved in 1P.

If you mean you have login items that generate TOTP codes for you that data would also be included with an export.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.