How to save gmail backup codes ?

iAzeem
iAzeem
Community Member

Hello,
I have started using 1Password and so far I seem to be loving it. I do have few queries but I thought I take one at a time.
I have setup my gmail accounts login in 1Password but I was wondering if there is an option to save the backup codes and secret questions and answers ?
For now I have saved them under Secure Notes but they all appear in plain text, which kind of worries me. Is there a better way to save them ?

Regards,
Azeem

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.1
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Welcome to the forum, @iAzeem! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password so far -- and you've definitely come to the right place for questions. :)

Speaking of which, excellent question! What you can do for these is create a custom field in 1Password for Mac instead of the Notes field that is part of every 1Password item (and is indeed in plain text). If you choose the "Password" option, you can still name the field whatever you wish, then just paste in the backup code you received. Here's an example (in Edit mode):

Hope that's helpful!

It's also worth remembering that even if you use the plain-text Notes field, this data must be decrypted by your Master Password in order for anyone to view it, meaning there would be very few instances where you'd be viewing this record and someone could grab your backup codes via camera or even just visual memory. Our recommendation is for users to not use 1Password at all in hostile environments like aboard a crowded subway or in a location where there are likely to be surveillance cameras or "shoulder surfers" looking to grab private data. But just because something is displayed without obfuscation in 1Password doesn't mean it's decrypted except during the time you are viewing that specific item.

• iAzeem
    iAzeem
    Community Member

Hello Lars,

Thanks for your reply. It looks like you have a solution for my query but unfortunately I am not able to follow the instruction!
    Can you let me know how you created what I see in the screenshot please ?
    Sorry just getting started with 1password.
    Regards,
    Azeem

• iAzeem
    iAzeem
    Community Member

Heyy Lars,

I got this! Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Azeem

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Hi @iAzeem This is what I do for my codes and memorable information, the best bit is not only is it hidden, but it is more easily copied from the app.

All you need to do is find the login you want to edit, click on edit, then you will see your username / password / one time password (if applicable)

Underneath that you will see in greyed out text the words (SECTION / LABEL / FIELD)

In section just type Recovery Codes, or Back Up Codes, In label, as @Lars did, type (Code 1, Code 2 etc)

Then finally in the final field, you'll an icon indicating the field is currently text, if you click the little arrow next to this, you can select 'password' from the drop down menu and copy your pass word. You can then click save or keep adding more codes until you are done :)

Hope this helps

• iAzeem
    iAzeem
    Community Member

hello Zaka!

Yup! I figured it and it does help a lot, thanks for your help!
    Regards
    Azeem

• Glad to hear that worked out. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.