Stuck with Offline changes

Hello,
Yesterday I moved from 1Password.com to 1Password.eu (I live in France). Everything went well but I still have to compare both account to make sure all is "transferred" properly.

As part of the move I had few documents. I added the files again in the new Europe vault. However I have one document (12Mb) that is stuck in the Offline changes section. No matter what I try the document remains in that section. Deleting the document and emptying the trash did not help. Rebooting the computer did not help either.

I checked the log and I see many occurrence of "Network request #xxxx timed out in 100,013ms". I left the computer running the whole night with the 1Password desktop application opened to give it enough time to sync the change. Unfortunately the document is still stuck in offline changes 8 hours later.

Any idea what could be wrong ?

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:offline changes

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MorgothSauron,

Thank you for getting in touch!

Usually, offline changes in 1Password 7 for Windows mean that 1Password couldn't upload them to your 1Password account. Do you happen to use any VPN, proxy or firewall/anti-malware solution on your PC that could block 1Password from syncing and be the reason for the network errors that you reported?

Please let us know. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• MorgothSauron
    MorgothSauron
    Community Member

Hi @Greg,
    I have nothing new in my setup that could explain the problem. I don't use a VPN or a Proxy. For many months now I have ESET Node32 as my antivirus solution. It's the 1st time I have a sync issue.

I do have a pihole that can potentially block some DNS request, but I checked the log and nothing is blocked when 1Password is running. I tried to disable pihole filtering but it did not help.

While I had these 2 documents stuck I made other changes in my vault. I saw new items appear in offline changes but they disappeared after few minutes. So I guess 1Password is able to sync something.

I will check again when I'm back home to see if these items will sync or not. But I doubt it will since it did not sync over night.

• MorgothSauron
    MorgothSauron
    Community Member

@Greg I did few more verification back at home.

In the application I noticed that one of the 2 documents, although it shows 12Mb size, does not display an attachment. Trying to download from that document in 1PasswordX gives a download error.

Since I have the file on my computer I decided to delete the document on the Web. A sync must have occurred because I only have 1 offline changes now.

I waited few minutes, but still 1 offline change.

I was able to sync the document after adding a different and smaller file. Within a minute the document finally synchronized. No more offline changes.

Here's the log: 12,869,724 matches the size of the old file and 8,535 for the new one

1Password::api:1694            │  2593120ms │ sync
      account id: 2; type: I; session id: ##session-id-redacted##
      HTTP overview
      HTTP account/attrs
         uploading files
          HTTP file
              post bytes: 12,869,724
          HTTP file
              post bytes: 8,535
      HTTP PATCH vault/##vault-redacted##/103/items
      pushed item: ##item-redacted##
      batch push complete; updated: 1; failed: 0; new vault content version: 104; success: True
      time: 101,763ms

I added back the original file and it gets stuck in offline changes again.

1Password::api:1700            │  2866221ms │ Network request #100 timed out in 100,001ms
     1Password::api:1694            │  2866592ms │ sync
      account id: 2; type: I; session id: ##session-id-redacted##
       HTTP overview
       HTTP account/attrs
       uploading files
           HTTP file
           HTTP file
      time: 200,972ms

It really looks like 1Password is unable to "push" that file

• It's clear that it is unable to push the file, @MorgothSauron (love the handle, by the way), but a network timeout generally isn't attributable to something internal to 1Password. It's not like the server is rejecting that particular item or it's trying to sync and failing part-way through, it's try to connect to the server and getting no response within a reasonable time period. With that said, it's also quite clear sync is generally working so it's not likely, in my opinion, to be something like ESET. I would expect a total blockage were that the case. Might be a bit of a long shot, but given you seem to have at least a slightly more complex network setup requiring some know-how on the topic, any chance there's something on your network that could have a problem with data over a certain size being sent?

Also, just so I have all my ducks in a row here, when you say you added a smaller file, are you deleting the stuck Document item entirely and creating a new one with the smaller file or are you replacing the file within that existing Document item with a smaller file? If the latter, what happens when you create a totally new item with the larger file? Same problem?

• MorgothSauron
    MorgothSauron
    Community Member

@bundtkate

Just to be sure I had ESET protection disabled when testing yesterday.

For my test with a smaller file I used the same 1Password document. Putting back the original file (12Mb PDF) caused offline change to get stuck again. Replacing again with a smaller file and the document is synced.

Now I'm redoing the test using my original DNS settings. This time no risk of potential interference from the PiHole. I don't think there was any, but now I'm sure my computer won't use the PiHole as DNS.

I have nothing else on my network. I have the standard setup (computer -> adsl modem -> internet). I have no problem sending large volume of data over the internet. I can backup gigabytes of data to Amazon S3. I have unlimited data with my IPS (no monthly data cap).

For my test I will use 2 files (size as seen in Explorer file properties):

• PDF: 12.2 MB (12,869,708 bytes)
    • PNG: 7.92 KB (8,113 bytes)

1) Create new document A- attach PNG: OK - Document synced

2) Create new document B - attach PDF: KO - Document not synced after

1Password::api:1694 │ 3019060ms │ queued file for upload, item uuid: #redacted#, size: 12,869,724
    1Password::api:1694 │ 3019068ms │ Saved item #redacted# to cloud vault #redacted#
    1Password::api:1700 │ 3119566ms │ Network request #376 timed out in 100,001ms
    1Password::api:1700 │ 3219569ms │ Network request #377 timed out in 100,003ms
    1Password::api:1694 │ 3220055ms │ sync
    account id: 2; type: I; session id: #redacted#
    HTTP overview
    HTTP account/attrs
    uploading files
    HTTP file
    HTTP file
    time: 200,985ms

3) Replace attachment of document B with PNG: OK - Document synced

1Password::api:1694 │ 4007848ms │ queued file for upload, item uuid: #redacted#, size: 628,262
    1Password::api:1694 │ 4007857ms │ Saved item #redacted# to cloud vault #redacted#
    pushed item: #redacted#
    batch push complete; updated: 1; failed: 0; new vault content version: 154; success: True

4) Create document C on the Web - Attach PDF: web indicates file uploaded, but can't find document C anywhere !!

5) Create document D on the Web - Attach PDF: web indicates file uploaded, but can't find document D anywhere !!

I don't know what is going on, but no matter which method I use (app or web) I can't get that PDF file uploaded properly. I'm worried that even on the web I can't get that file uploaded correctly. I wrote to the support on Tuesday, but I did not get any feedback yet.

Just a reminder: I'm not using Europe server.

• Hey, @MorgothSauron – I just now realized that we've been having this exact same conversation over e-mail. :lol: I had an inkling yesterday as the issue sounded very similar, but I was able to convince myself it was coincidence at the time because there seemed to be some minor differences in the issues. Today, they're definitely the same – sorry about that. I replied to you via e-mail earlier today so let's keep the conversation going there moving forward so the both of us aren't over here repeating ourselves. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.