How to transfer Everything to new computer

Options
hschaars
hschaars
Community Member

I am having a new Mac Mini connected today. How would I transfer all my information to my new computer?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

My 1Password version is: 1Password6; Ver. 6.8.9 (689001)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hschaars - if you've got a new Mac Mini, first of all, congratulations! Enjoy the new stuff. :)

One of the new things available to you with a new Mac is of course macOS 10.15 ("Catalina"), and that means a few things for your continued use of 1Password. One of the biggest changes in Catalina is in Safari, where Apple completely changed the format of extensions. If you've been using 1Password 6 for Mac up until now, you won’t be able to use it with Safari 13 (which ships with Catalina). If your primary or sole browser is Chrome or Firefox, you can still use 1Password 6 for Mac to save and fill passwords in your browser, but I can't say for how much longer that will remain the case as the browsers themselves are updated. I'd strongly consider upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac, as it's been the current version for more than eighteen months now, and version 6 hasn't and won't be receiving further development attention. If you've been using 1Password in standalone mode with local data, I'd also suggest taking this opportunity to consider migrating to a 1password.com account, for multiple reasons. With a 1Password membership/account, access to all our new upgrades to apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) is included for as long as you maintain the account.

Other than that, we've got a great guide for migrating to a new device. You should be able to find your particular situation there, but let us know if you hit any snags. Happy migration! :)

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

Everything is now transferred over to my new computer; Mohave 10.14.6. 1Password is still ver. 6.8.9. Should I now upgrade to Ver. 7?. I'm just a little confused with Safari. Should I install Adblock Plus? I have it on Firefox, but not Safari.

Helen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019
    Options

@hschaars - I'm not sure how you managed to acquire a new Mac Mini with macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) on it, but if 1Password 6 for Mac is working for you, great. It should work just fine in the current stable Firefox on Mojave. However, what I mentioned in my previous post still applies -- if you're planning to install or have already installed Safari 13, 1Password 6 for Mac will not work with it. You can either stick with Firefox or Chrome (and Chrome derivatives), or you can upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac to restore Safari compatibility. It's a bit outside the scope of what we do here to recommend browser extensions other than 1Password, though I will say in general that you should choose your browser extensions carefully as they often have considerable power to see what you do on the web.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

My Safari version is 13.0.4 and you're right, 1Password doesn't work on it. I don't use Safari very often. I use Firefox. I don't know why I have macOS 10.14. I guess I could have gone higher. The person who installed and transferred everything for me runs the Mac Computer Club here in Sun City, AZ. He has helped me in the past with all my Mac issues and he only charged me $40 for connecting everything. I bought this computer on Amazon. It doesn't have much storage space so I will probably buy an external drive. I couldn't afford the computers with larger drives. This one is only 128Gigs.

• @hschaars

I am glad Lars was able to give you some solid advice. It sounds like you have a reliable setup. If you happen to have any further configuration or usage questions, please feel free to ask. We're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.