Autofill not working in Safari

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Autofill not working after upgrade to 1Password 7.

Comments

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

I've got the same problem with Autofill not working. I have to search for the website and then click "Autofill". I see from earlier comments this issue was raised in September. Has a resolution been found ie have I missed seeing the solution?

• Ben
    Options

@JimH

There is a known issue where autofill doesn't reliably fire when using the Chrome web browser. Instead of filling, 1Password mini will reopen, and will show all items (instead of suggested items). If that is the issue you're having there may be a few different workarounds worth trying:

1. Use a different web browser (Safari or Firefox) temporarily
    2. Use the 1Password X extension instead of the 1Password extension (desktop app required) extension [requires 1Password membership]

1Password X

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to have the issue with the desktop app extension fixed up soon.

Ben

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick reply but I use Safari and not Chrome.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @JimH. Could you please describe the behavior you are seeing in Safari? i.e. What steps do you take, what happens, and what did you expect to happen instead? Also, which version of Safari are you using?

Ben

• macwish
    macwish
    Community Member
    Options

I am having similar problem on my iMac (late 2013), MacOSX 12.13.6, 1PW 7.4.1, and Safari 13.0.4. Since installing Safari update and also SecUpd2019-007HighSierra, behavior of 1PW in both Safari and Firefox (v71.0) has become very erratic. After launching Safari and opening website requiring login (username and password), the 1PW extension works well. However, if I move to another website requiring log in, there is usually no response to hot key "command-\" or to clicking on the 1PW extension icon in the menubar. Restarting the computer does not solve the problem. Same behavior happens with Firefox. This has not happened with previous versions 1PW 5, 6, or 7 in my experience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macwish - Safari is not the browser with a current known issue regarding filling of this type, Chrome is. That makes me think something else might be going on with your particular 1Password setup, especially if the problem is identical with Firefox. So, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/109775/autofill-not-working-in-safari#latest
    • Your forum username: @macwish

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• macwish
    macwish
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic report submitted: [#ZRY-24698-928] 1Password Diagnostics Report for Ronald Gold

• Jody
    Jody
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hello Ben I am having the exact same issue. I ONLY use Safari, and 1Password is not autofilling. I'm running 10.14.6 with 1Password7 (the latest). I open 1Password and click or double-click on the login however nothing happens.

Should I follow the same steps you recommended to @macwish? Should I attempt another troubleshooting step first?

Very odd, now it seems to be working. Not sure why many attempts failed, then after going to Safari for a few items, then trying it again, it worked. Will let you know if it happens again. However this is not the first time I've experienced it.

• macwish
    macwish
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved for me by following the instructions (see below) sent by 1PW programmer:

"Thank you very much for your diagnostics report. It tells me that the 1Password extension is missing on your Safari. There are two reasons for that. The first one is because the 1Password app failed to install the extension on your Safari or Safari corrupted during the OS update process. All that said, please try these steps to see if we can make the 1Password app reinstall the extension for you or not and go from there?

1. Open 1Password => click on “1Password 7” (on the top left corner of your computer) => A drop-down menu will appear with the word “Quit 1Password at the bottom” => Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard, while holding the Control and Option keys, select “Quit 1Password Completely.”

2. Uninstall 1Password 7 from your computer by moving the 1Password icon in /Applications folder to the trash => restart Mac => go here and install the latest version of 1Password to your computer: https://1password.com/downloads => Open Safari and check for the 1Password extension

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macwish - thanks for the update. I'm glad that worked for you. For anyone else reading this thread, you should definitely check to make sure the 1Password extension is visible in your Mac's toolbar, and also enabled (checked) in Safari > Preferences > Extensions. If it isn't, you can often solve the issue by checking the box (enabling the extension), but if not, deleting the 1Password 7 app and re-installing using the instructions above will usually set things right.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jody - thanks for the update. Keep an eye on things and let us know if the problem recurs. If it does, try to nail down specific steps you took to produce/replicate the issue.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

Do any of you have your 1Password preferences for "mini" set to "All Items"? If so, please try changing that to "Suggestions." I have seen one report where this resolved the user's issue. It would be nice to get confirmation that it indeed resolves the problem.

--
    Tommy

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Jim. Having read the above comments and advice since I first raised the problem I have found the solution. On looking at 1PW Preferences I saw the mini app was set to 'Open 1PW to Favourites' which I changed to 'Show Suggestions' and this resolved the problem. I suspect a recent 1PW update set the mini app to 'Favourites' without warning me or asking if I wanted this change. Thanks for your help.

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, my 1PW mini was set to 'Favourites' which I changed to 'All Items' and which didn't help. Once I changed this to 'Suggestions' - not too surprisingly - the problem was solved. The change from 'Suggestions' to "Favourites' wasn't made by me and I assume it was caused by a recent update.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2019
    Options

@JimH

Thanks for confirming it solved the issue for you.

• bud
    bud
    Community Member
    Options

I just started having the same problem where 1Password Mini in Safari would show all items for a web site login rather than suggested items. Found this thread and the suggestion to check the preferences for Mini. That solved my problem as well. Somehow the preferences for 1Password Mini got changed in the past week or so to "Open 1Password to: All Items" rather than Suggestions.
    (macOS 10.15.2, Safari 13.0.4, 1P 7.3.2)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bud - thanks for letting us know; glad to hear that setting it to Suggestions solved the issue for you. :)

• rinkydink1
    rinkydink1
    Community Member
    Options

@macwish Thanks for this. I've had this problem for months!!
    Back to normalcy...

• @rinkydink1

:+1: :) Glad to hear this help you out. Normalcy is indeed a good thing.

This discussion has been closed.