Option to not remember last used vault in 1P mini and extensions

Options

I use the Windows app together with the browser extensions. When I work in the full app I typically work in the context of a single vault. When I am using the browser extension or mini I prefer to always be in "All vaults" and search for what I need. My exact use case is that I consult in Office 365 and keep credentials for various clients in their own vaults. They all use the same login url (login.microsoftonline.com). Say I did something with "Client 1" in the app and then open my browser to login to "Client 2" I have to mouse to "All vaults" first, which is annoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gabriel Smoljár,

Thank you for reaching out!

Am I right to understand that you want 1Password extension to not switch to the vault that you used last in 1Password 7 for Windows? Please confirm.

The thing is that our companion extension (that you allegedly use in the browser now) is quite dependant on 1Password 7 for Windows, it is a part of it and it doesn't have any information about your data without the standalone app. That is why is shows you the vault and the data from 1Password 7.

If you want to see an independent behaviour, you can give 1Password X a try. It works entirely in your browser, so the switches you make in 1Password 7 for Windows will not affect its behaviour.

Let me know if it suits your needs. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Gabriel Smoljár
    Gabriel Smoljár
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg

Yes, I do not want the extension (or 1Password mini) to switch to the last vault used in the Windows app.

1Password X would help somewhat in browsers that it support but as a developer and IT consultant and regularly use other browsers than those supported by 1Password X. I also use 1Password in the operating system, mostly for remote desktops and shells.

I understand that the companion extension is connected to the windows app. But since I can switch to All Vaults manually in extension, would it be possible to automate that process?

/Gabriel

• At the moment, @Gabriel Smoljár, it isn't possible to automate that, but I can certainly pass along a request. Would something like a preference to always open to All Vaults suit your needs?

Also, just follow-up on Greg's mention off 1Password X, the list of supported browsers is moreso a set of guidelines than actual rules. You may use 1Password X in any Chromium-based browser or Firefox fork so long as those browsers support the features 1Password X needs. Aside from the current stable version of Microsoft Edge and Safari on the Mac side of the world, 1Password X works in every browser the companion extension does so if you have to use a lot of more niche browsers from time to time, it may even serve you better across the board. Anyway, your call as always, but thought it was worth a mention. :chuffed:

• Gabriel Smoljár
    Gabriel Smoljár
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate,

A preference to always open All Vaults in 1Password mini and companion extension would be great. Thank you for passing along the request.

And about X. Each installation has its own database, correct? I should have added that in addition to niche browsers I also have about 20 Chrome profiles and growing. Syncing that many copies of the database and maintain settings for each copy is just not practical.

• You're correct about the database, @Gabriel Smoljár, but from a practical perspective, I wouldn't see that being a great concern. Things can happen, but by and large sync is something that's taken care of without any interaction from you and the number of database isn't going to make a huge difference. I have test accounts added to more VMs than I can count and while none of them get massive amounts of use being test accounts, they sync happily without any performance issues or worry on my part.

Settings, on the other hand, could be a pickle. To my knowledge, those would need to be individually configured. Though the work there would be frontloaded (once set, they'll not need further adjustment down the road), I can fully understand not wanting to do that work in the first place. With that said, it makes sense to me that you should be able to copy over settings from one profile to another, optionally. I'm not sure if that's something we'd need to provide or if perhaps Chrome has a mechanism to manage that already. I know it's not quite what you're after anyway, but I've gone ahead and asked our extensions team about it anyway. At the very least, I think it's something that would have an appeal for those in a similar position to your own with myriad profiles and if I'm lucky, perhaps it could provide you with another more viable option in the moment. If I learn anything interesting, I'll let you know. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.