Multi-user version?

Is there a multiple user version of 1password with "shared" passwords? I need this for a business environment where I want to use 1password and designate certain branches (but not all) of the hierarchy as shared with other 1password users (similar to Dropbox's shared folders).

Ideally this would allow user- and role-based access.

If not, can anyone recommend a password storage product that allows multiple users to share some passwords?

Thanks.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Eric, welcome to the forum!

Sharing any of your 1Password data requires divulging your master password, which unlocks the entire data set.

We have some thoughts about ways to control access to individual items, creating "subsets" of items, but there's no information about what features might be implemented or when they might become available.
  • I would also like to have something like this but only between 2 users, so it's possible to share some passwords and also to have separate passwords.

The coolest way would be to have the same 1Password.agilekeychain but multiple users.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, Chrille, and thanks for letting us know!

(The situation is still as stated above.)
  • I'm also looking for this feature. 1password is the best tool on the market, and the only thing holding us back from using in in our company is the lack of support for access hierarchy or similar.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Adam! Thanks for your feedback (and kind words). :)

The concept of sharing (and multiple data files) within 1Password has been suggested a number of times and it's certainly a very interesting and useful idea! We are considering this for the future, but it is quite a substantial change to how 1Password works right now which means a lot of time and testing is required to add this feature.

So with that said, I really can't make any promises on a time frame for when we may be able to bring this to 1Password, but that doesn't mean we won't. We've always believed in trying to be as honest and realistic with our users as possible rather than making lots of empty promises.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive answer right now, but thank you so much for letting us know that you would find this useful. We do take the number of users who request a feature into consideration when we decide on our feature lists.

In the meantime, importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password (File > Export). It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others. This way each use can have private 1Password data and import only the items they need from the rest of the team.

(Please be aware that the 1PIF information is not encrypted and should be handled with care while in transit and securely deleted once the information is safely imported into an encrypted 1Password data file.)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Is there a way to have a multi user account (Family) with different passwords for the same site. Such as gmail, we each have our own passwords for gmail. Is there a way to determine which user is accessing gmail to access their specific account?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, 2blackbelt! Thanks for asking about this. :)

WIthin a single 1Password data file (accessed via a single Master Password) you can certainly have multiple Login items per domain. Just log in to the website with the new credentials and 1Password will prompt you to save the new Login item. Give it a unique name like "Gmail - Jane" and perhaps rename your existing one something like "Gmail - John". Whatever makes sense for you so that you can tell them apart.

Again, this is presuming you are sharing 1Password data and one Master Password. If you want to have separate 1Password data we recommend using separate Windows accounts. This will keep not only your 1Password data separate (with each user having their own Master Password) but it will keep all other Windows data separate as well. It is ideal for a multi-user environment, but perhaps your needs are different.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.