Merging keychain from 1Password6 with 1Password7 vault

Options
marycmurphy
marycmurphy
Community Member

Hello,
I am running 1Password6 on one of my Macs and 1Password7 on others. The 1Password6 is backing up to a file in my Dropbox called 1Password.agilekeychain. The 1Password7 is backing up to a file in my Dropbox called 1Passord.opvault. How do I merge these so that all new logins are in both locations? Do I need to get all my computers onto 1Password7? How do I get all the data from 1Password6 into 7?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marycmurphy! Welcome to the forum!

Which 1Password file currently contains all the data that you want? Is it 1Password.agilekeychain or is it 1Passord.opvault.

Or, in other words, is it 1Password 6 that currently contains your up-to-date data or is it 1Password 7?

• marycmurphy
    marycmurphy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I think that both have different pieces of data. If I had to choose one to overwrite the other, I'd choose the agilekeychain (1Password 6). Ideally, I'd turn 1Password6 into a vault and merge them. But, I don't know if that's possible...or how to do it. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marycmurphy - thanks for the clarification. Agile Keychain and OPVault are two different types of sync keychain. Agile Keychain is the older (and now retired) format, OPVault is the current one. At some point in the past, you created one of each. If you've got data in both places that's NOT in the other one, then I'd agree that some kind of merge is your best bet. The way to do this will be to switch from Agile Keychain to OPVault on the Mac running 1Password 6 for Mac. Here's how:

1. On the Mac running 1Password 6 for Mac, click Preferences > Sync. You should see your vault ("Primary") in the list on the left the details view on the right.
    2. Click the dropdown menu that says "Dropbox" and switch it to "None." There will be a pop-up warning you you'll be stopping sync. Check the box marked "Delete data from Dropbox." This will delete the older Agile Keychain, but not the data in 1Password on your Mac.
    3. Give it a couple of minutes for Dropbox to finish removing it. Shouldn't take nearly that long, but just to be safe.
    4. Switch the drop-down menu back to Dropbox (i.e. - turn Dropbox syncing back on). You'll see a pop-up asking to sync Primary vault with Dropbox. Click the "Choose" button -- because we're going to choose that OPVault that your other Macs are using. Navigate in the window to the location of that existing OPVault, select it, and click "Open."
    5. You'll get a pop-up saying the vault contents are different and you need to merge. Click "Merge Existing."

That should get you where you need to be, but if you run into any problems or have questions about any of this, let us know! :)

• mtrcycllvr
    mtrcycllvr
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Thanks so much for this clear procedure for sharing mixed versions via dropbox!

There are many of us out here!

I found the "enabling dropbox process" to be problematic on the 1password7 end, the secret seemed to be to select a folder type sync before trying to select dropbox... That seemed to trigger stop syncing altogether, only THEN was I allowed access to the dialog to create a new version OPVault on dropbox.

It was also somewhat difficult to find this post. :'(

• # mixing 1password6 and 1password7 using dropbox
    • # mixed versions
    • # using 1 password6 with 1password7 vault

Again, thanks - this appears to have gotten myself and my users working together seamlessly again.

:)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mtrcycllvr - well met, fellow motorcycle enthusiast. :) I'm sorry you had trouble with the upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, but glad to hear you were able to work it out in the end. This information always varies slightly depending on users' individual circumstances (are you coming from an older AgileKeychain? Are you trying to create a NEW OPVault, or did you already do that on a different device and now you're just trying to sync another device or two with that newer OPVault? etc...), so it's not really possible for us to have a one-size-fits-all set of instructions that will work reliably for every situation. However, that's also why we're here -- so we can answer questions and give out individual instructions where necessary. Glad to hear you're up and running again, and thanks for being a 1Password user. :)

• mtrcycllvr
    mtrcycllvr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the support! I totally understand, and yes, I was indeed using the older agile keychain vs. OPVault.. I'm a very long time user, can't even remember life without 1password and have been evangelizing to anyone who will listen since.. ;-)

Anyway, I have all my vaults updated, all my older machines running version 6 syncing to the "new" (2012, eh?) vaults..

Thank you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.