Firefox preferences reset on relaunch

Using Firefox on iMac. The 1PasswordX security preferences reset every time Firefox is relaunched, forcing me to log-in again and go and change the extension preferences to stop it from automatically locking (and setting 1PX as my default password manager).

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: ?

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @Ihateusernames2000! Do you happen to have Firefox set to clear your cache each time you exit? Your 1Password X settings are stored in local storage, so if that gets cleared, the settings won't stick. If you aren't sure, let me know what your Firefox security settings look like and I'll check it out. :)

• No I don't, only the browsing history is automatically cleared.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Ihateusernames2000 – Thanks for letting me know! What do your Firefox Privacy and Security settings look like? For example, do you have the below option set to never remember history?

• Looks like this...

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Ihateusernames2000 – I've been messing with my own Firefox settings today, and I haven't been able to reproduce the same issue you're experiencing. I'm wondering if you have any extensions installed aside from 1Password X. I'd like you to create a brand new profile in Firefox if it's not too much trouble. Please install only 1Password X in the new profile and check to see if your auto-lock settings stick after quitting Firefox and reopening it.

• OK, I tried that and the extension acted differently than it was... seemed to be linking to the desktop app or something, so I gave up that. Anyway, with my usual profile, if I set the Firefox preferences to "Remember History" the 1Password settings stick after restart, but I still have to log in after restart. Is that the way it's supposed to be (as a security measure)? It would be nice not to have to enter my 1Pass password on home desktop.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

@Ihateusernames2000 – You'll want to install 1Password X in Firefox here. We currently offer two extensions, so you may have installed our desktop-dependent extension instead of 1Password X.

When you quit your browser, you also quit 1Password X, so that's why it locks. You're welcome to adjust the auto-lock settings on the 1Password X settings page, but it'll still lock when you fully quit your browser. I hope that helps clear things up!

• Yes, I guess. I had the right one in the first place, but likely not on the other profile I created. In summary, it would seem that the extension does not retain settings if the browser history is cleared, which I imagine is a very common action for Firefox users to have selected set up. It would also be nice to be able to "keep logged in" on a safe desktop. Maybe you folks can work on that. Thanks for your help Kaitlyn.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Ihateusernames2000 – The thing is, even with all of the history clearing settings checked (see screenshot below), I still wasn't able to get my 1Password X settings to reset after quitting the browser. If you're able to reproduce the same thing in a fresh Firefox profile, let me know.

I appreciate the feedback in regards to 1Password staying signed in on your desktop. I'm honestly not sure if that's something we'd implement in the future, but I'll pass along your feedback regardless. :)

This discussion has been closed.