Wife can't login to Mac app, but can login to web app

EddieA
EddieA
Community Member

I'm trying to setup my wife with 1Password using our family account. I sent her an invite, she accepted and set her master password. She downloaded the emergency kit and was able to login to the web app using her master password. However, when she tried to login to the Chrome extension or the Mac desktop app she gets an error on her Master Password. What am I missing here? This is so confusing!

Thanks for your help!
Eddie

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina 10.15.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@EddieA - it sounds as if your wife may have been using 1Password already in the 1Password for Mac app. If so, whatever Master Password she was previously using for standalone 1Password is what she'll need to unlock 1Password locally. She should be able to use her existing Master Password to unlock her local 1Password for Mac app, then she can use these instructions to sign into her new 1Password account and migrate existing standalone data to it. Let me know how that goes for you.

• EddieA
    EddieA
    Community Member

Ok, I think I've followed the correct instructions, but when I try to add her account to 1Password on her Mac, I get an error saying:

1Password Account Cannot Be Added
    You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team.

Still confused...

Thanks!
    Eddie

• EddieA
    EddieA
    Community Member

FYI - this is a clean MBP. I just reformatted and reinstalled the OS for her (this was my old MBP), so there has been no other users on this machine before her. So I logged into the website using her credentials, which worked fine. I then went to the link for "Get the Apps", and then clicked the "Already have the app?" link to "Add your account directly". It pops up the window to add her account, I put her password in, and get the same error. Why would you have that link to add it directly if it's not possible to add it directly?

I would think there would be one page in the knowledgebase somewhere that explains in detail how to setup each account in a family with the Families Plan...? Can you make this process a little simpler?!?

Also, that "drag this window over your Setup Code" does not work for us at all. I've tried scanning that code in the browser several times and when I drag it over the code nothing happens at all.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@EddieA - does 1Password for Mac have data in it right now? Can you unlock it? If so, please click 1Password > Preferences > Accounts and let me know what you see there. Is it your own account? If so, that will be why you can't add your wife there.

• EddieA
    EddieA
    Community Member

Yes, it's my account. So do I just remove my account and then I can add hers? Thanks Lars!

• EddieA
    EddieA
    Community Member

Ok, I did that, and it worked. THANK YOU for helping me to understand this!

• On behalf of Lars your welcome.

If you find you have other questions, please feel free to reach out.

This discussion has been closed.