To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to upgrade guest to team member?

Options
XuMEPA
XuMEPA
Community Member

Hi! I need to upgrade guest user to a team member.
I've found this topic. So 3 years ago the only way was to delete guest and then reinvite. Did something change from that time?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018
    Options

Nope. :) That is still the correct process. As guests only have access to shared vaults deleting a guest does not cause any data loss. When you re-invite them as a team member you can grant them access to the same shared vault they had previously, plus any additional you’d like to give them, and they’ll also have their own unique Private vault.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• XuMEPA
    XuMEPA
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Ben!
    Your answer is clear. Thank you. I think you should make procedure convert guest to team member more easier.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Ben

• marim
    marim
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Followup question about this - if I delete their guest account, will that not delete their personal vault information? I.e. if they had saved their own passwords for various accounts and it's NOT in a shared vault, will they be able to somehow transfer or save that information?

• Ben
    Options

Guest accounts don’t have Personal vaults. They only have access to a single shared vault. :)

Ben

• blakedotme
    blakedotme
    Community Member
    Options

We need to convert a few people over to full members and we have about 40 vaults. It sounds like for each person we have to:

1. Note down the original vaults they had access to
    2. Delete their account (temporarily disrupting their workflow)
    3. Send them an invitation
    4. Wait for them to accept the invitation before expiration (this almost always never happen right away)
    5. Approve their accepted invitation
    6. Reassign their vaults

Slack handles this very well, just click a button and they're upgraded then add to channels. It would be nice to have a more streamlined flow here with 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @blakedotme

That's correct though guests only have access to a maximum of one vault, so there is only one vault to note for each of them. We didn't really anticipate a need for switching between team member and guest (or vice versa) frequently. Would you mind sharing a bit about the use case here? For example, why were these folks not made team members initially? What changed such that they need to be now? Better understanding how people are using guest accounts might help us better plan for them for the future.

Ben

• blakedotme
    blakedotme
    Community Member
    Options

We engage independent contractors who only need access to a single project. From time to time, later down the road, we add them to additional projects or we hire them on as a full-time employee which gives us the need to convert them to full member.

• Ben
    Options

If this is something that happens more than the occasional happenstance it sounds like it may be appropriate to onboard these folks as team members up front. That would give you more flexibility without having to go through the above mentioned process. Something to consider. :) We'll also consider how we might be able to improve this on our end.

Ben

• hhhamicable
    hhhamicable
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I have suspended two guest accounts as I need them to be team members. However, there isn't an option to delete them so I can reinvite them?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hhhamicable: To be clear, it is not necessary to delete the guests in order to send more invites. You'll probably want to later so you're not paying for them, but it's not a bad idea to get everything else setup first. :)

To delete a user, you'll need to view the People in your membership. Click the one you want in order to view their profile, and you can delete them from there, under "More Actions". I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• hhhamicable
    hhhamicable
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I have followed the steps but do not have the delete option. Please advise.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hhhamicable: Do you maybe not have the correct permissions to delete people? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• @hhhamicable

I see what happened. You selected the user from the list of users on the People page, then selected Suspend from the Actions drop down that appeared.

Now that they are suspended, you can click on the guest's name in the list on the People page. That will take you to their Profile page. On the profile page you will see an option to Delete or Reactivate the guest. Choose Delete and you should be good to go.

In the future, it is not required to suspend the guest first. You can click on the guest from the list on the People page, then on their Profile page you will see a More Actions dropdown that will have an option to Delete the guest.

Please let us know if that worked

• hhhamicable
    hhhamicable
    Community Member
    Options

This worked! Thanks so much.

• Glad to help! :chuffed: :+1:

• lovol2
    lovol2
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Just saying, I'm in the same boat, need to upgrade guests to members. Same reason as already stated, people 'progress' from guest to members.

Also, it would be great to just be able to 'send a password' to someone's personal vault or similar.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lovol2

Just saying, I'm in the same boat, need to upgrade guests to members. Same reason as already stated, people 'progress' from guest to members.

It is definitely a process we'd like to improve, though there are a number of other higher priority irons currently in the fire. I couldn't speculate as to when / if such a thing might be available. As such the steps outlined above are still the best way forward for now.

Also, it would be great to just be able to 'send a password' to someone's personal vault or similar.

That is a feature that is currently in beta for 1Password Business customers. There is some additional information on it available here:

Beta Feature - Item sharing: how to send a copy of an item to a team member? — 1Password Forum

Ben

This discussion has been closed.