Windows 10 client 7.3 won't install, mine wouldn't, there are a couple of ways to resolve please pin

When I tried to install 1PasswordSetup-7.3.712 on a Windows 10 machine, it would fail right away with a popup, that hid BEHIND other windows, saying it failed and was rolling changes back. I disabled anti-virus, firewall and uninstalled 1Password4. I was up to date with the Windows 10 version, all its updates, and .NET versions and updates (some updates to those even occurred that night before I even started trying). I did several searches and only found things pointing to old .Net versions, updating anti-virus s/w,... I gave up for the time being and installed 1Password X browser extensions.

The next day, I decided to tackle it again and one solution worked. I want to thank MikeT for posting "If it is Windows 10, please try installing 1Password 7.2 first" and provided the link. That was a life saver and it worked. It was then just a simple, in app update to go from there to the latest version! I have included the link to that post below so as to let his post, an employee, refer you to the link to 7.2, not something that I post, just a forum member and s/w client.

The forum post containing MikeT's link.
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101517/1password-7-for-windows-will-not-install

Since then I also found this post that points to removing the old folders being a solution for some :
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/100217/windows-version-wont-install

Note that I tried uninstalling my older version and that didn't resolve my issue, though am sure the old folder was still there. I was going to try that until I found MikeT's post.

The rest of this post is for context and maybe to help others who experience similar issue. It also is to praise the evolution of 1Password and how it worked it's way into my work flow to the point that when I upgraded to Catalina (latest MacOS) and the Safari browser extension was no longer available to me for my older 1Password version, I realized just how convenient it has become.

History, ... I have had the free apps on all my phones a LONG time. I paid for the in app upgrade on my iPhone, was looking for price deal for other family iPhones. I also had bought a MacOS/Windows combo years ago. I have gotten used to the browser integration and the MASSIVE improvements on the integration within iOS and MacOS! So, I just signed up for family plan trial, and I expect to extend into the annual plan, I am sure. We now have a lot of iPhones, iPads, the MacBook Pro and windows machines between the 3 of us, so family plan was way to go to get full-featured apps on all. I successfully updated my MacBook Pro, migrated it all and my iPhone. Same with another iPhone and ipad on 2nd family member.

Then came time to set up the third family member, who has the windows pc. I already had a small set of items/logins in that version and it was set to sync with their iPhone. When I tried to install 1PasswordSetup-7.3.712, it would fail right away with a popup, that hid BEHIND other windows, saying it failed and was rolling changes back. As I said above, I disabled anti-virus, firewall and uninstalled 1Password4. I was up to date on all the Windows 10 versions, and .NET versions. I was not happy and not looking forward to the usual arduous task ahead when that happens with s/w on Windows. I figured I would have to likely remove old folders, even maybe registry entries, and was not looking forward to it. I decided to install the 1Password X add-ons to Chrome and Opera as those worked and bought me time.

The next day, I decided to tackle the third family member again. I updated their iPhone, then logged out of their account, got the dropbox sync going again, as it wasn't logging in. When that was done, logged back into the account and it converted the items. Then on to the Windows pc and I did several more searches for answers when I ran across MikeT's post and went to try it. It worked! I have to now decide if I should remove the 1Password X add-ons and replace them with just the browser extensions. I saw one video leaning me towards just the extensions, but am going to look into it more first.

Anyway, I hope this post now helps others with a couple of options for resolving the Windows 10 install issue.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIndows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• I'm so glad to hear you were able to find a solution, @rmichaelsm and thanks so much for taking the time to share your story! That's one thing I really love about our support forum. It has some limitations at times when it comes to more technical issues, but it's a valuable resource not only for our customers looking to solve issues on their own, but even for us when we find ourselves working a bit outside our comfort zones. Personally, I have a Mac and use it on occasion, but Windows is my home so the forum has saved my bacon, too, when dealing with problems on my Mac. :chuffed:

As for extensions, that's totally your call. Although I always keep my desktop app around on Windows, I'm a 1Password X user most of the time. I'll swap when we've got things that need testing with the companion extension, but overall I prefer the filling experience with 1Password X. It's also what I recommended to my family. My mom worked in technology later in her career so she's fairly technically inclined, but my dad is definitely more of a casual user of his devices. If something isn't easy and obvious, he's not going to use it and something as simple as the inline menu reminding him that he can use 1Password to fill makes all the difference in whether he uses 1Password or sticks to his old habits. It's ultimately a matter of personal preferences, but there's no reason you can't use 1Password X and the desktop app. That's exactly what I do and I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone.

• rmichaelsm
    rmichaelsm
    Community Member

I will leave 1Password X on then and let my dad try to use it first. I did see that interface, it was different than my experience, but may be better for him. I have just started to train him on using it. We used the old version very little as integration when I got it wasn't up to the current quality. This should be great as he now uses his phone a lot more and the integration is great.

• I personally found 1Password X was a lot easier for folks new to password managers to learn. A lot of browser password savers will fill in a similar way, so it seems to click a bit easier by being closer to what folks are used to. Indeed, it's a fair bit different from what those of us who have used 1Password for a while are accustomed to, but my mom started using 1Password before 1Password X and ended up making the switch all on hear own earlier this month because she liked it better so it really is a case of whatever works best for the individual. I hope your dad enjoys 1Password X and finds it easy to adjust to it, but if you or he have any questions as y'all get started I'm, of course, happy to help. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.