Chromium Canary Edge Support

When trying to use the Chrome 1Password (as retrieved from the chrome web store) extension in the Chromium Canary Edge, I get the error ERR:13812 │ 1Password::api:1704 │ 59679064ms │ Refusing helper connection from "C:\Users\Lukec\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\Application\msedge.exe", because of untrusted publisher Microsoft Corporation. in the console and am unable to use the extension with the main app. I wasn't able to get the Microsoft App sStore version of 1Password to work with Canary Edge.

1Password Version: 7.3.661
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro Insider (18865.1000)
Sync Type: Local file

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LMByrne,

Thank you for getting in touch!

Our standard 1Password extension will not work in Chromium Edge Dev or Canary builds: it will require a new 1Password update to add the new Edge's code signature to our whitelist. It is coming in the future, please see this reply from Mike here.

If you have 1Password account, you should be able to use 1Password X. Let us know if you have any other questions, we are here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@arianelu: There is a couple of important things that we are working on at the moment and it is indeed taking longer than expected. We will release more news about the upcoming update, when it is ready.

Additionally, please note that this thread is about Chromium-based Edge, so let's stick to its main topic. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• oclanman
    oclanman
    Community Member

I am using Edge Canary on a Mac along with 1PX beta 1.16.1 and 1P 7.3 beta 13. I am trying to use the 'Integrate with 1Password Desktop App' but 1PX doesn't see the desktop app. Is that because I'm using Edge or do you think it is something else?

• MikeT
    edited May 2019

Hi @oclanman,

There has been no official release of Edge preview builds on macOS. Until there is an official release that has a valid code signature we can whitelist in 1Password, 1Password will block it as we can't verify the authenticity of the browser.

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

Any further updates on this? Edge seems pretty far along and stable at this point.

• The new Edge is supported on Windows already, @avery_shealey, and has been for some time. On Mac, it was added to the beta a while back at least. The beta it was added to has since gone stable, but the release notes there are actually a bit unclear to me – it notes "beta only" support for Edge. That could be interpreted as only supporting the beta version of Edge (as opposed to Canary, etc.) or that Edge support is only available in the beta of 1Password for Mac itself.

If you were just doing research before giving things a try, I'd suggest just giving it a go. Were I to hazard a guess, I'd say everything should work in the current stable for the beta version of Edge specifically. If you've already tried and failed, let me know your setup – OS, Edge version, companion extension or 1Password X – and I'll see what's what for ya. :+1:

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

Thanks for the update, but it's not working for me. 1PasswordX works ok, but using the regular 1Password extension (installed from AgileBits as the Chrome extension), it installs but can't contact the 1Password app to actually do anything. Any thoughts?

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

fyi... I'm running macOS 10.15.2 (Catalina). 1Password works great from Safari or Chrome. Just not from Edge. This is the error that I get (attached pic).

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @avery_shealey,

Could you please specify the exact versions of 1Password 7 for Mac and Microsoft Edge that you are using on your Mac?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

1pw - 7.4.1 (70401002) and Edge - Version 80.0.355.1 (Official build) Dev (64-bit)

• That's the dev channel for Edge, @avery_shealey, and although I've not been able to catch a Mac developer to 💯confirm for me here, a few of us put our heads together and reasoned that 1Password for Mac is probably only supporting the beta channel for Edge at the moment. That release note stating "beta-only" support is in the release notes for the stable version of 1Password for Mac and, while it's certainly possible a note meant only for the beta snuck into the stable notes, they're generally pretty good about avoiding that and it's most likely that's meant to indicate only the beta channel of Edge is supported at the moment. I'm still trying to chase some folks to confirm, but in the meantime, you might try the beta channel for Edge and see if you're seeing the same thing in that version. Let me know what you find if you get around to it before I get back to you and if I get a definitive answer, I'll let you know. :+1:

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

Tried it with Edge Beta - Version 79.0.309.54 (Official build) Beta (64-bit)

Same results.

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

Just for fun I tried it with the Edge Canary track as well - same results.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @avery_shealey,

We are discussing this issue with our team now and will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you have 1Password account, you can try installing 1Password X. 1Password X works entirely in the browser, so it should work without any hiccups. Let us know how it works for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

Thanks Greg. Just FYI, 1Password works great with all versions of Edge on Windows. It's only with macOS that I have the issue. 1PasswordX also works just fine in macOS and Windows.

• I'm not going to pretend to understand the whys and wherefores of this, @avery_shealey, but a teammate of mine was fiddling with Edge on Mac the other day and apparently there are some hoops to jump through there. Given this is outside of my personal comfort zone and I don't want to lead you astray, I've asked him nicely if he'd mind sharing his wisdom with you here. I think he may be away from his computer at the moment, but assuming he's free to take the time, he'll pop in when he's got a moment. And, of course, if he can't give you the rundown, I'll find someone else who can so hang tight and I'll hopefully have an answer for you soon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@avery_shealey - hey there. Things on the Mac side are a little less smooth for Edge right now. Microsoft just this week began allowing extensions at large into the new Edge store. Our current extension is the one we use for Chrome, which will work...but not without a little assistance in the Native Messaging department. The reason you're seeing what you're seeing is that the Native Messaging JSON file you need doesn't exist, so you'll have to create it manually. If you have Chrome installed, you can copy it directly from there. If you don't have Chrome installed, you'll need to download Chrome first, and then try this:

• Update to the latest version of 1Password for Mac, if you’re not already running it.
    • Install the beta version of Edge from Microsoft, NOT Canary or Dev, if it's not already installed.
    • Click Microsoft Edge > Microsoft Edge Extensions, then click Allow extensions from other stores at the bottom left of the extensions window.
    • Visit https://1password.com/browsers in Edge and click the Chrome option, which will take you to the Chrome Web Store page for the 1Password companion extension. Install it.
    • Quit Edge.
    • On your Mac, in Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, then copy and paste the following in the pop-up: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts/
    • In Finder again, type ⌘N to open a new Finder window.
    • Choose Go > Go to Folder once more, then copy and paste the following in the pop-up: ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Beta/NativeMessagingHosts/
    • Return to the first window (Chrome folder), and single-click the file titled 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json in that folder to select it, then use command-c to copy that JSON file to your clipboard.
    • Switch to the second folder (Edge folder) and paste the copied JSON file into this folder.
    • Open Edge from your Applications folder.

Now, when you click the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar, you should get the familiar 1Password mini pop-up. Let me know how that works for you.

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

It definitely helped it. It was obviously able to contact the app and get information, but I didn't see any passwords. I suspect that is due to the warning message that I got when it started regarding security and an unsigned browser.

It seems like the best path forward is to just keep using the 1PasswordX extension until Microsoft roll out the real release in mid-Jan.

Thanks for all the help!

Avery

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @avery_shealey,

On behalf of Kate and Lars you are very welcome! I am sorry to hear that it didn't work as expected, but hopefully it will work correctly after official release. Honestly, I can't wait for the stable release of the new Microsoft Edge myself. :)

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

It worked out fine Greg. The company makes an amazing product and support is always phenomenal!

Thanks again!

• Aw, that's sweet of you, @avery_shealey, thanks. Out of curiosity, though, you mentioned an unsigned browser warning? While I'd not be too surprised were Edge Canary and Dev no whitelisted by 1Password for Mac, I'm pretty sure all channels are signed at the least so that's a bit surprising to me. You might see an "unknown browser" warning, but that's just indicating that 1Password doesn't recognize it (expected for browsers that aren't whitelisted), not that it isn't signed. If something has changed and one or more of Edge for Mac's channels are genuinely unsigned, you're probably not going to be the last person to see this so it's something I should probably make the team aware of. Not that we can fix it, of course, but if we at least know what's up we can save ourselves and others some time at the least. :+1:

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member

I wish I could help but I can't make it reproduce the error. I tried removing the extension, removing the ~/Library/Application Support/ directory for the beta, then reinstalling both but it doesn't give me the popup again. I suspect it's just bad wording on my part as I don't see the same error or problem. The issue with the final test was that there were no suggestions for any website that I went to. The menu loaded and I could tell it to open 1Password, but there was no way of autofilling in the data.

Thanks again for the help. If it still doesn't work after a stable version of Edge, I'll let you know.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @avery_shealey,

Thank you for the additional info! I will make sure to pass it along to our 1Password X team, so we could investigate further. We are always here for you, so feel free to reach out to us anytime.

Thank you again and happy holidays!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.