1Password X filling in the original OTP password from setup of 2FA not the rotating numeric code

Options

Having used the 1Password chrome extension before, I have seen the filling of 2FA codes working correctly. Having recently updated the latest 1Password X 1.17.0 I find that it's filling in the original OTP to setup 2FA instead of the code on a site. I've added the same 2FA code 3 times to make sure it matched the label and the id of the field (that's how it matches the field right or the input id value?). If it was mismatching I'd expect it too not fill anything an, but instead it's filling the OTP.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password X filling in the original OTP password from setup of 2FA not the rotating numeric code

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @sheldonh! Thanks for reaching out. Just to make sure I'm following you correctly, is it the OTP secret that's filling rather than the 6 digit code? If so, can you double check to see if you have multiple TOTPs set up for the item that isn't filling correctly. We had a recent report of this when multiple TOTPs are set up within one item. It's since been resolved in the 1Password X beta, so another option is to install the beta and make sure the issue is resolved for you. Either way, let me know what you find!

ref: dev/core/core!629

• sheldonh
    sheldonh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this. I will try beta and see if that resolves the issue.

• sheldonh
    sheldonh
    Community Member
    Options

It did not resolve the issue. The removal of the additional mfa fields did resolve it.
    Can you educate me on how the matching to 2FA fields go? Is it based on input field name like I'd find by inspecting element? Is it any 2fa box on the domain that shows up? I couldn't find info on the matching approach, which might answer if I even need to have multiple or not.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sheldonh – That's my bad. Version 1.18.0.beta, which contains the fix for this issue, is actually still in review by Chrome. I hadn't realized that when I sent my last response, so I'm sorry for leading you down the wrong page. I'm glad to hear that removing the additional TOTP ended up solving things for you, though. The only reason I could think of that would require you to have multiple TOTPs is if you're logging into different sites using the same Login item. One example may be a Login item that you use to access both Amazon and Amazon Web Services. You may use the same credentials, but the TOTPs would be different. To answer your question, 1Password has a filling brain that determines what values should be filled into what fields. It uses clues like HTML names, types, IDs, etc. to determine the best place to fill each value – that goes for usernames, passwords, TOTPs, and anything else you use 1Password to fill. If you think of any other questions, I'll be here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.