Touch ID not working in Chrome Add-in

I use successfully Touch ID to unlock the 1Password App on my macOS Mojave MacBokkPro. However I need to unlock separately the Chrome 1Password Add-in, even when the 1Password App is unlocked. Plus there seams to be no options to unlock the Chrome 1Password Add-in with Touch ID.

So two questions really:
A) why do we need to unlock the Chrome 1Password Add-In separately when the 1Password App is already open and unlocked?
B) if that is so, why can't we unlock the Chrome 1Password Add-in with Touch ID ?

1Password Version: 7.2.2 (70202006)
Extension Version: 1.12.3
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:macbook touch id not working in chrome add-in

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @danmeyer,

At the moment we have two extensions. One we called 1Password X and the other was previously known as the extension, now I refer to it as the companion extension. 1Password X is a standalone extension that only supports 1Password accounts and part of the original design was to bring support to platforms where we don't have a native 1Password client e.g. ChromeOS or Linux. As such it currently does not connect to the application at all and that's why the unlock is currently a separate affair. We're looking at options at the moment though because two extensions means people needing to know the difference and installing the right one which just adds to the learning curve.

If you line the inline menu that 1Password X has then it will be a case of waiting for future improvements that see tighter integration. If you wouldn't mind the loss of the inline menus in favour of accessing 1Password via 1Password mini then the companion extension will eliminate the unlock situation you've described. Both extensions are available from our "Downloads - 1Password" page so it would be the case of removing the 1Password X extension and installing the other one. You can find download links for both just below the main link for the 1Password application.

If you have any questions please let us know.

• Tensho
    Tensho
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

And what's about Touch ID support in Chrome extension (1Password X)?

• Hey @Tensho! If you are interested in using Touch ID with 1Password X, I suggest you help us beta test Desktop App Integration. I've been using it for a few months now, and I love it. I think you just might, too. :smile:

• Liamb
    Liamb
    Community Member

Hi, I'm using both the latest betas on my mac and on chrome but still see no Touch ID anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

• Liamb
    Liamb
    Community Member

Using chrome 1Password X Beta 1.17.6 and 1Password 7 Version 7.4.2.BETA-0 (70402000) on my mac.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Hey @Liamb! I'm sorry to hear Touch ID isn't behaving for you. I'm happy to help get to the bottom of it. When you right click on the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar and select Settings, do you see any errors on that page?

• Liamb
    Liamb
    Community Member

Yes, it says unable to establish a connection with a 1password desktop app. It brings me to the downloads page where I've installed the "feeling adventurous" 1Password 7 beta for mac.

• Liamb
    Liamb
    Community Member

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't restart my macbook after the install! All seems to be working again. Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Thanks for letting me know, @Liamb! It'll be helpful to see a copy of your 1Password X logs so we can determine why things aren't connecting for you. You can find our guide that explains how to grab your logs here. If you'd rather send them via email instead of post them to a public forum, please send them to support+x@1password.com with a link to this forum post and your 1Password forum username in the body of the email. We'll take a look and go from there.

• gbez
    gbez
    Community Member

It appears as though the chrome 1Password X extension still does not support touch ID?

In terms of Beta, that's only an option for my Mac 1Password app correct? I dont see a beta choice in the extension settings.

And the inline menu is referring to 1 password showing up in user id and password spots on websites?

• @gbez

Please let me know if this helps. 1Password X and Touch ID, do work with Chrome. You will need the beta of 1Password X to complete the set, along with the 1Password Mac app beta. 1Password X has no opt-in beta settings. You must download the beta version directly.

1. 1Password Support : Turn on 1Password for Mac beta builds

2. How to install the 1Password X beta in Chrome or Firefox

• Please be sure to only have one version of the extension (1Password X, or traditional) enabled at any given time in the browser.
  • gbez
    gbez
    Community Member

Thank you. As I am not a tech person is there any risk to me using a "beta" version? Is it in any way less secure? I wonder why its still called beta....

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@gbez – Betas tend to receive fixes before stable versions. That said, we work hard to ensure our betas are still tested internally rather than releasing it out into the wild without any prior testing. I'd suggest giving it a shot. You may not even notice it being any different from the stable version (aside from being able to unlock via Touch ID, of course). If you run into any trouble, we're always here for you! ❤️

This discussion has been closed.