1Password License Not - Able to use/access vault

Options
caseykc
caseykc
Community Member

I just wiped and installed Mac Catalina. I have been using 1Password mini. I can not access my 1Password vault, Help. After many unsuccessful attempts to access my vault I ended up with 1Password 7 in a READ ONLY format. Help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @caseykc! I'm sorry for the difficulty. You'll want to make sure you (re)-install the license you have for 1Password 7 for Mac. Just locate the original email you received when you purchased version 7 and click the blue button in the email to (re)-download and install your license file:

• caseykc
    caseykc
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I do not want to purchase 7. I want to continue to use my license for mini. I your prior responses (2018) you spoke to this issue, I can not utilize your prior suggestions. Please help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@caseykc - 1Password mini is part of the main 1Password app; it has never been sold separately and could not be; the two are combined. I'm not sure what prior comments of mine you're referring to but if you have a link, I'd be happy to clarify.

Standalone licenses for 1Password are sold per-person, per-platform and per-version. That means you don't need a license for every computer you use; if you purchased a license for 1Password 3 for Mac back in the day, for example, you can install it on ALL Macs you personally own/use. But it doesn't grant you access to future versions like 1Password 4 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Mac. Do you know where you purchased your previous version of 1Password from? Was it directly from us or from the Mac App Store?

• caseykc
    caseykc
    Community Member
    Options

Welcome to the 1Password for iOS newsletter!

I am Dave Teare, founder of AgileBits, and over the next few weeks I will be sending you some emails with useful hints & tips that will help you unlock the full potential of 1Password.

You have already chosen a Master Password after you launched 1Password for the first time. That password is used to protect your data with 256-bit AES Authenticated Encryption, one of the strongest encryption standards that exist today. Be sure to remember this password as it is the only way to access your information. We recommend writing your Master Password down and storing it in a safe place.

Combining Security With Convenience

1Password automatically locks to keep your data secure. By default, you will need to enter your Master Password every 10 minutes. You can change this value in the Security Settings. Here’s how I setup 1Password on my iPhone.

I love how Touch ID allows me to quickly access my data while keeping it secure.

I don’t have Touch ID on my retina iPad mini, so I enabled the PIN Code and disabled Lock on Exit.

The PIN Code provides me a nice balance between security and convenience until I get a new iPad with Touch ID :)

For more details, check out the Security Settings section of the user guide.

I don’t want to overload you with details on your first day, so I’m going to wait until tomorrow to show you how easy it is to use 1Password within Safari.

Until next time, take care and be sure to join us in our forums. I look forward to seeing you there :)

Cheers! - Dave Teare, Founder of AgileBits

User Guide • Knowledgebase

Forums • Blog • Twitter • Facebook

• Ben
    Options

@caseykc

My apologies but I'm not sure how anything in that email relates to the issue at hand. That was an advertisement for using Touch ID with 1Password. Could you please clarify what it is you'd like for us to do?

Ben

• caseykc
    caseykc
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I purchased in December 2004. Please help be access my fault through mini 3. Some how through the cloud I have managed to set up 7 in solely READ ONLY format
    Welcome to the third edition of the Keep In Sync newsletter.

Last week we talked about using your 1Password data in Safari and other apps. Today, we’ll talk about how to sync your data across all your devices.

I love having my data on multiple devices. It is incredibly convenient to have all my 1Password information with me regardless of where I am or which device I’m using.

To keep all your devices in sync, go to 1Password > Settings > Sync and choose from iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi. Each option has their own strengths so let’s go through them and discuss their pros and cons so you can choose which is best for you.

Syncing with iCloud

1Password syncs using the same iCloud account configured on your iOS device. This makes syncing with iCloud super easy.

Enabling iCloud Syncing

In 1Password 5 we changed iCloud syncing to use Apple’s new CloudKit technology. CloudKit makes syncing faster and much more reliable. While I’m super excited about CloudKit, it’s important to note that it requires iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite.

iCloud is by far the easiest solution to set up and use across your Apple devices.

Syncing with Dropbox

Dropbox is an awesome service that I started using in 2008 to keep my Macs in sync. Fast forward to today and Dropbox allows you to sync your 1Password data everywhere, including Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and even Linux.

In order to use Dropbox, you will need a Dropbox account. You can create a free account with up to 2GB of storage.

Once you have your Dropbox account created, you can configure 1Password to use it.

Enabling Dropbox Syncing

The initial setup of Dropbox requires more work, but once finished, it provides the most flexible solution.

Syncing Directly with Wi-Fi

Using iCloud or Dropbox is great as syncing is fully automatic. These services are convenient because they store a copy of your encrypted data on remote servers “in the cloud”.

While the data is safely encrypted using your Master Password, sometimes you don’t want your data to leave your local network. This could be a personal preference or a corporate requirement.

This is where Direct Wi-Fi syncing comes in. When enabled, 1Password will sync your iOS devices directly to your Mac or PC over your local Wi-Fi network.

Enabling Direct Wi-Fi Syncing

To sync directly between your computer and your iOS device, you must open 1Password on both and be on the same Wi-Fi network. This is not that big of a deal, but if you have little children to distract you like I have, you may forget to sync before leaving home :)

While Direct Wi-Fi sync is not fully automatic, it can be very useful as your data never leaves your local network and it is extremely fast.

I hope this newsletter helped explain the pros and cons of each sync option so you are able to pick the one that works best for you.

Next week we’ll talk about the secure web browser built into 1Password. Many people don’t know about 1Browser, and I look forward to sharing this gem with you.

Until next time, take care and be sure to join us in our forums. I look forward to seeing you there :)

Cheers! - Dave Teare, Founder of AgileBits

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@caseykc - the very first version of 1Password was released in 2006, for the Mac. So while I'm glad to hear you've been with us for a while, 2004 is a little before we existed. :) Please stop posting copy/pastes of old 1Password newsletters from Dave here in the forum. Those who signed up for them will have already read them, and for those who haven't, this won't be helpful, even for people who might be reading this thread because they're having an issue similar to yours.

1Password 7 for Mac is a completely new version of 1Password. It was released initially in late May of 2018, and it requires either the purchase of a new standalone license OR a 1password.com membership. Without one or the other, 1Password 7 for Mac will be in Read Only mode, because there is no free option. Any licenses you have for earlier versions of 1Password never expire, but they can only be used to license the version for which they were purchased.

If you've upgraded your version of macOS to Catalina, it's time to upgrade 1Password for Mac as well, since version 3 will not run on Catalina. I see you've also been communicating with our email support team. They'll be better-positioned to assist you with the specifics of getting 1Password set up on your devices, so let's keep the conversation going that way (by email) rather than in two places at once. Thanks! :)

• caseykc
    caseykc
    Community Member
    Options

Lars this is Casey,

I am using mini with Catalina on another device. So I need help Lars! I posted the emails from David Teare because you asked me to:

Lars commented on 1Password License Not - Able to use/access vault
    Welcome to the forum, @caseykc! I'm sorry for the difficulty. You'll want to make sure you (re)-install the license you have for 1Password 7 for Mac. Just locate the original email you received when you purchased version 7 and click the blue button in the email to (re)-download and install your license file.

Please help be access my vault through mini 3. Some how through the cloud I have managed to set up 7 in solely READ ONLY format.

I did not think it appropriate to close my close the file.

Please help.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019
    Options

@caseykc

We're happy to help you but we're not going to have the same conversation in multiple places. Lars saw that you've also emailed us for help. We'll help via email. Thanks. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.